Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
It has been 5 months since i traded in my 2016 GT Coupe for a 2017 GT Convertible. I wanted to share my thoughts and impressions for anyone who might be contemplating the move.

1. Drive-ability- for some reason the convertible just seems easier to drive. The car handles better, easier to shift and more comfortable with around town, in traffic driving. My coupe always seemed stiff even though it was not a PP model. I did do some more aggressive mods in terms on suspension, but I did not expect this type of difference. My daughter has driven both and said the same thing. She was never totally comfortable in the coupe.
The bracing and under body is so well done that at times I cannot really tell that I am driving a convertible in terms of body roll, handling, etc... more on that later.
2. Driving Experience (Fun Factor)- The first time I drove it with the top down I knew that this is what I wanted. The top down experience is unmatched. There is something about the open air, the sense of sight, sound, smell, feel of the wind etc. The best driving experience is late in the day, just before sunset on a warm 70-80 degree day that is unmatched. Hearing the exhaust has been a big plus as well. I initially was worried that the Corsa Sport exhaust would be too loud for a vert, but it works perfectly for me. Even the stock exhaust would be acceptable for most with the top down.
3. Appearance- I have to admit that the convertible just does not have the same "sexy/mean" look as the coupe. Top down I really think the vert looks killer. Top up it's just "ok" for me. I don't know if I will ever really like the top up look that much. I wished Ford would have contoured the roof line closer to the coupe standards (similar to the Camaro convertible). The top also has a lot of blemishes and wrinkles that form with use; being OCD I have to just adjust my expectations and be ok with it.
4. Performance- As I mentioned above, most of the time I do not see or feel any difference between the coupe and convertible. It's plenty fast for me. I will most likely be adding either the Ford Power Pack 2 or the 2018 Intake Manifold and a Lund Tune. I cannot see myself supercharging this car. I added BMR lowering springs which enhanced the handling significantly...I can whip through a round about without even thinking about body roll
5. Reliability- I've had just 2 minor issues. The rear side glass panel was scratched from some object within the chamber and the passenger side rear window would not fully close with the top down. Both of these problems were resolved by the local dealership under warranty.
6. Visibility/Interior- top down no issue with this. With the top up the rear window is smaller than the coupe, but very acceptable. The rest of the view is similar to the coupe although the taller roof line does increase the sense of spaciousness and less of a confined feel. I am not a tall guy (5'7") but definitely appreciate the extra room. I am a bit claustrophobic- not that the coupe was ever an issue, but the vert feels roomier. The California Special seats with the leather/alcantara inserts has been a big hit with everyone. They hug you in the seat and are not as sloppy as the premium pkg leather seats. For some reason I was never comfortable in them as I tended to slide around more.
6. Gas Mileage- I think my mileage is a little less than the coupe due to the body design, driving with the top down creates more drag etc. But it's livable.

I hope this helps anyone out there looking to make a similar decision. I am in no way putting down the coupe, I did enjoy my 2016. I am actually thinking I will pick one up again down the road for a different purpose (Track), but for now for what I wanted in terms of a fun summer driving experience that all of the family could enjoy this has been a hit.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Deeplakes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
17 GT/CS Convertible
Great write up and I agree with every point you made.

I did the Power Pack 2 and it was a good choice.

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Great write up and I agree with every point you made.

I did the Power Pack 2 and it was a good choice.
thanks Ian! I appreciate it. I am leaning towards the Power Pack 2 due to warranty reasons and overall performance. The car is a lot of fun even in Sport mode but looking for a bit more fun :like:
Love the White by the way with the CS accents it looks killer!

5 O UFO

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible
Made a similar change myself. Agree with your points. Good review!

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Made a similar change myself. Agree with your points. Good review!
Thanks Brian, love the triple yellow color by the way...

Sponsored

mondos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Raimond
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Conv. PP1 Manual
Thank you for the write up. It's actually good to know that it's so similar or even better.

I wished Ford would have contoured the roof line closer to the coupe standards (similar to the Camaro convertible).
the taller roof line does increase the sense of spaciousness and less of a confined feel. I am not a tall guy (5'7") but definitely appreciate the extra room. I am a bit claustrophobic- not that the coupe was ever an issue, but the vert feels roomier.
I saw that as benefit that I can actually have adults sitting behind me and not have their head against the roof. So, even this point turns to + side for me.

All good, thank you!

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the write up. It's actually good to know that it's so similar or even better.

I saw that as benefit that I can actually have adults sitting behind me and not have their head against the roof. So, even this point turns to + side for me.

All good, thank you!
I agree as well, the aesthetics could be better but it is a big PLUS to have the headroom. Even with teenagers I feel much better knowing that they are not scraping their heads on the roof line...

\dave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 S550 ecoboost convertible, F150, Lincoln Continental
Yep, the rear headroom is tolerable top up or down.

I switched to the Eco convertible from a '72 TR6 convertible which I drove for 35 years. The TR had a full box frame. Even so, it flexed a good bit which made it comfortable, but the flex did not seem to adversely affect handling (much). The Eco seems stiffer all around but is just as comfortable, and handles great in comparison even though it carries an additional 1300 lbs or so. I look forward to even better handling when I shed the P Zero Nero tires.

Hard to beat a road trip with the top down.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Convertible driver since 1973. Two things: welcome to the stable and glad you're enjoying it; and, what took you so long?

These cars get an undeserved bad rap and to be fair, they've come a loooonnnnggg way in 30 years. Fox body convertibles still had no inner liner or insulation. They were leaky, drafty and noisy. But they were solid as a rock and didn't have much ride or handling difference from coupes. Its only gotten better since then. The '16 was the first replacement car in 12 years and the refinement from new edge stangs is huge. Just folding the top so the liner doesn't face the sun is a big deal.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
The convertible is really well executed. The chassis is still solid, it doesn't pick up a ton of weight, the top is fast to operate and the position doesn't affect the trunk space. Top up, it look good, the coupe is a bit sexier with the long sloping line from the top to the rear, but put the top down, and it's a spectacular looking vehicle - great proportions (that's a serious issue with the Camaro, that I seriously cross shopped before buying my second GT convertible), nice little design queues that bring the whole thing together.

With the top up, it's nicely insulated, turn on ACC, put on a podcast, and hell, I'd do a 6 hour road trip in it, no sweat (actually I'd probably drive with the windows +up+, but top down).

I had a '16 (Black/Red, PP, 6-speed, every option), and when I was shopping a replacement, I seriously looked at ZL1 convertibles, but in the end, the killer deal I got combined with several things just being better, I wound up another GT convertible (A10, PP, MR, AE, all options ...)

Sponsored

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
Yea, I like my Vert as a cruiser but feel better in a coupe when it comes to racing.

edit. Sounds sweet op. That Ford Power Pack 2 Will limit with it’s proprietary stuff and conservativeness. Skip it, if you’re doing a canned tune, Lund Tune. Or a local trustee tuner shop.

Danacblack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1
I had a '16 V6 coupe. My '18 GT vert with Performance Pack 1 handles much much much better than that base V6. I'm not sure if it is the suspension itself or the extra bracing and improved struts, or maybe just the wider Michelin Pilot Sport 4S compared to some Goodyear all seasons, but it handles amazingly well. On the highway going 75 the coupe wasn't any quieter. Driving experience in the convertible is more fun with the top down and of course the sound is better. As far as looks go, the shadow black coupe I had was better looking no doubt. My wife honestly misses the old car because she likes its looks so much more and thinks the convertible top looks dorky and feels exposed with the top down.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I had a '16 V6 coupe. My '18 GT vert with Performance Pack 1 handles much much much better than that base V6. I'm not sure if it is the suspension itself or the extra bracing and improved struts, or maybe just the wider Michelin Pilot Sport 4S compared to some Goodyear all seasons, but it handles amazingly well. On the highway going 75 the coupe wasn't any quieter. Driving experience in the convertible is more fun with the top down and of course the sound is better. As far as looks go, the shadow black coupe I had was better looking no doubt. My wife honestly misses the old car because she likes its looks so much more and thinks the convertible top looks dorky and feels exposed with the top down.

An '18 GT/PP convertible does everything better, several times over vs. a '16 V6 coupe. :rockon:

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
I had a 2014 GT Coupe for 4 years and for the entire time NEVER COULD GET THE BACK GLASS CLEAN...........I stayed in that cramped backseat for hours over 4 years and tried a dozen techniques......Back Window still looked B-A-D!!:shock::crying::thumbsdown::curse:

My convertible back glass is a snap to clean but that's not why I got the vert.......I love the top down and the "Active Exhaust" talkin' to me as we ride through the SC Lowcountry rowing the 6-Speed !!:thumbsup::sunglasses:

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
My last mustang was an 04 KenneBell Cobra coupe. I loved that car and drove it daily for 8 years. I let it go in 2012. I spent lots of time at the dragstrip, autoX, and trackdays. I still miss it. But even when the weather is rotten, like, now...I am thinking I want to get in the vert and just go for a ride. For me anyway, these cars are just immersive. It's this awesome combo of a 60's muscle-car (used to have a 68 Camaro with a 454) with modern manners, handling, and luxury.

Fifteen years ago I was out on The Tail of the Dragon with the local Cobra club with several Terminators. I was running the KB at the time, fully braced up race suspension, race tires, wings, splitter, etc. The car was a monster. But the older guy in front of me WITH A PONYTAIL was in a stock 03 Cobra vert...and was slinging it through the turns fast enough that I wouldn't dream of waving for a pass, ponytail just flapping in the breeze. When we got to the other end and everyone got out to high-five...I was so jealous of the smile on his face. I had never had driven a convertible at that point in my life but even then I just "got it".

Even when up, the vert top just increases the sensory excitement due to the sounds...it feels closer to the world. With the top down, driving it becomes an adventure--not because of danger but because the world becomes so much bigger...if you are into boating, you know what I mean. And lord the exhaust note. I knew when I went vert I was giving up a measure of performance potential...but "couped" in with a little more top end performance just doesn't outweigh the magic of the vert. If I could swing both, I would want a 350 or 500, too. But having driven the 500 of its day (the Termi was 700RWHP/TQ), I know that I'd still be in the vert every chance I had!
029.jpg
030.jpg
Sponsored