Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
another one for the list......
i've been looking at 18's and last month at pierre ford in seattle they had a 17 with 1k miles on the used lot. pretty sure it was a ford buyback. motor was replaced due to oil consumption. chassis number was H3298.

seeing this issue is making it really difficult to take the plunge and buy a shelby. i've been looking since 2016 and now that the market has softened enough to buy at msrp or lower, enough data is in that has me very hesitant. i try to look at every new one that hits the dealer lots in my area and have yet to see one that did not have some kind of fit/finish issue. at this price point it takes a heck of a package to overlook that, but to also think that the engine is a potential time bomb? i'm starting to look at grand sports pretty hard. would be great if ford had something to say on this before its too late for me to purchase a 19 and i end up in a vette.
For the love of all that’s holy, please don’t buy from Pierre Ford. They’re about as scummy as they come. Add Bickford and Ford of Kirkland to the list as well.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
My oil consumption just increased. Nothing the first 2000 miles - then first oil change, 0.5 qts the next 2300 miles, then 1 qt/1500 miles to 6000 miles - second oil change. Now 1 qt the last 700 miles. If I plot this on a graph I'll be at 1 qt/100 miles soon!

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
For the love of all that’s holy, please don’t buy from Pierre Ford. They’re about as scummy as they come. Add Bickford and Ford of Kirkland to the list as well.
I would cut my own dick off before buying from pierre ford/harris ford. Never been to kirkland but bickford, epic in everett, and marysville are also competing for scummiest ford dealer in the country. This thread is not helping but if i do purchase it will be out of state.

Wilson44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Avalanche Gray
I would cut my own dick off before buying from pierre ford/harris ford. Never been to kirkland but bickford, epic in everett, and marysville are also competing for scummiest ford dealer in the country. This thread is not helping but if i do purchase it will be out of state.
Just moved to the area from Houston, what dealer do ya'll trust for service?

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Couldn’t tell you. I haven’t been here that long myself and my prior experience with ford dealers was in Northern California. The only experience I have in the Seattle area has been with trying to purchase a gt350 and so far I’m not too optimistic any of them could handle making a cup of coffee let alone servicing this car.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I didn't use any of the local dealers, but heard good things about Bickford service. Few of the local guys I know used them.

Couldn’t tell you. I haven’t been here that long myself and my prior experience with ford dealers was in Northern California. The only experience I have in the Seattle area has been with trying to purchase a gt350 and so far I’m not too optimistic any of them could handle making a cup of coffee let alone servicing this car.
Ahh, good man. The Seattle-area dealers are pretty rough. Definitely go out of state, by under MSRP and have it shipped. They deserve your hard-earned cash more.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I always wondered why there were so many severed dicks in the vicinity of that dealer. Now I know.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Collectors favoring replacement engines in these GT350's is doubtful imo.
Suggesting that collectors should look for GT350/R's with replacement blocks is not only very doubtful but also makes absolutely no economic sense at least from my standpoint.
Yeah, wishful thinking I guess. Maybe it would apply to non-collectors buying used (out of warranty) who plan to drive it for what is was made...assuming the replacement engines prove to be reliable.

If you are buying a GT350 gambling that it will be worth more than MSRP some day and wanting to make money off the car - I would highly encourage you NOT to buy.
Not a personal goal. Old enough to have seen reasonably priced cars that are worth more today than they were new (and own one), which means I'm too old to see it happen again...but I don't judge or doubt those who do have that goal with this car.

Also, by my admittedly subjective assessment, the oil consumption/engine replacement issue affects more than a few unlucky people and is not, in most cases, the result of abuse...IMHO. The fit and finish issues are also unsat in my opinion, albeit fixable. Not sure that would prevent me from buying if I had it to do over again, but not sure it wouldn't either. Would definitely try to make my own sense of the available information and opinions, as for many new potential buyers are trying to do.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
So Ford, if you read this, instead of owning up to any kind of defect, why not simply stamp the replacement block with the same VIN as the engine that it replaces. For example, I remember I had an AR15 lower receiver that was already registered into the NFA registry and then a defect in tolerances was discovered. The lower receiver was then de-milled and a duplicate one was manufactured that bore the same original serial number. I was made whole because the replacement equaled the defective product.
A new engine that has a blank VIN stamp is not the same as a numbers matching car.

Why cant Ford replace a defective motor with a new one so that the owner doesn't suffer any kind of penalty? Why do people have to resort to a lawsuit and legal action to force a buy back?

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I dropped mine off today. Fingers crossed.

And i’ve been thinking i have seen MANY for sale ads, but none mentioning it had a second or third motor. I wonder what kind of penalty i will take on this if i try to sell. On one hand, someone will get a brand new motor, but i know i’d read that part in the ad and think hmmmm

s2ms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
1966 GT350 - 6S1757, 2017 GT350 - H3303
Where exactly is the VIN stamped? Easy to see?

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
I used to be a supplier to Ford and had a few friends at SVT. They are both retired, if they were still around I'd probably be able to hear some scuttlebut.
Methinks there may have been some assembly issues more so than engineering.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Where exactly is the VIN stamped? Easy to see?
Getting old and been quite a while since I looked at a VIN on one of my Boss/Shelby cars but do remember that the VIN is stamped on an engine pad on the drivers side and is located just above oil pan.

The VIN on the engine pad will start with the model year (F-2015, G-2016, H-2017, J-2018) and then a series of 7 numbers with the next number after the MY being a 5 which signifies a Flat Rock built car and then 6 digits indicating your consecutive build number.

If you want to confirm that your transmission is also original to your car you can locate the VIN also on the drivers side and located on the lower side of the transmission case and should be exactly the same VIN as indicated on your engine pad.

:)