Sponsored

The R still turns heads - 2 years later

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
I got my 2016 GT350R in June of 2016. In that time I’ve put 4300 miles on the car between joy riding and track time at COTA and MSR Houston. When my car was new it drew attention at the Houston Cars & Coffee and any track day I showed up to. Unsurprisingly, the PCOTY was what everyone wanted to see in person.

Surprisingly, nearly two years later little has changed. Maybe the country bumpkin here in Colorado (moved here in July 2017) are more impressed, but I doubt it. At today’s Lafayette Cars & Coffee with over 1000 cars (many of the $250K+ and 1 of 100 variety) there are only a few that made people stop and take notice and my 2 year old GT350R was one of them. Maybe it’s a dose of owner’s pride that’s tinting my perspective, but I swear this car gets all the looks. People stop and stare, peek through the windows, take selfies with it. Dodge Rams and Jeep Wranglers hit the brakes to pull up beside it. It seems almost silly.

Anyway, there’s not much meat to this post and I’m bordering on a humble-brag, but thought I’d share and see what kind of experience you guys still get a few years into ownership.
Sponsored

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
All I know is that I see Stanglife's R regularly on my local Cars and Coffee page, a lot of times front and center. At an event with Ferrari's and Lambo's, I'd say that's doing pretty good! And I mean month after month with fresh pics. :)

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
Big time...mine gets thumbs up and honks everytime I drive it. And this is in an area with no shortage of far more expensive hardware!

zzrat

Threads
Reaction score
Deerfield,Indiana Land of Moonshine & Critters
Vehicle(s)
GR245 Radioless
As a new owner of one of these beautiful machines ours has spent its time in the garage so far & every morning get to spend breakfast time with it!

Thanks for sharing your story.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
R or non-R, where I live (NJ and FL) there are very few of these cars around. I passed a guy in a vette yesterday who spun his head around so fast it looked like it would fly off!

Sponsored

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
The 350R is pinnacle of Mustang styling, plus it’s rare. I have yet to see another in person since these came out. I took a 30 minute drive to purchase a washer and dryer yesterday and one particular worker at the store was mesmerized and was talking to me about the Shelby.

oldmachguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
It's ridiculous. 13,000 DD miles on my R since last July, and the car gets stared at or thumbs up virtually every time I drive it. Several 18 wheeler drivers have honked, rolled their windows down and given the big :thumbsup:. My son's engineering classmate at Baylor who DD's and tracks an Alpha Giulia Q at COTA with his dad and his GT3 buddies salivated over it. P cars rev on me all the time, especially the turbos. A guy on the freeway in an SUV motored past the 458 Speciale that was following me, rolled down the window to video the car, honked and :thumbsup:, then drove off. People constantly take pics of the car at intersections, or roll down the window and ask me to rev it. It's incessant. I think the car looks amazing, but the attention is like I've never experienced.

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Yep, Triple Yellow, black racing stripes, loud car, red badging...... turns a lot of heads alright...... especially those who are POLICE OFFICERS.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
R or non-R, where I live (NJ and FL) there are very few of these cars around. I passed a guy in a vette yesterday who spun his head around so fast it looked like it would fly off!
Ya beat me to it!! I know you R guys are a proud lot (hahahahaha ;) but this thread applies to both. I live in a major metro area and I’ve seen two others, total. Had a guy chatting my ear off at the gas station last night. Only the true car guys will know it’s an “R”. The rest of the car crazy free world that just know bad ass cars don’t know the damn difference. Us low life, peasant, non R owners get the same reactions. :p

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I hvae people constantly make complements still to this day. And still to this day little excited kids ruin my ego by screaming "look at the Ferrari!"

:doh::(

Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I drive through Boston city many times, and I have yet to see another GT350, any color. I see many Mustangs "done up" ... My car still turns heads and I get a lot of thumbs up from many drivers... 2 years later.

oldnick9333

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 15 GTPP, 02 Lightning
Speaking of little kids....yesterday, some 5,6,7 year olds were playing soccer in
their front yard and their soccer ball went into the street. Parents taught them well.
"do not go into the street". I stopped and the oncoming traffic stopped too. I threw
the ball back into their yard and the smallest, youngest kid said.."cool man, man".

I gave him the thumbs up and went my way. Gave me a nice smile for the rest of the morning.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Last night parked next to a gorgeous 1950's Porsche 1600 super speedster. I came back out to a couple people taking cell phone pics of what I thought was the Porsche, and as I approached, they said "Is this yours?"
I said "no, mine's the Shelby."
"Yeah, that's what we meant. Can we hear it?"

Was nice, but also bit of a shame.
shelby and porsche.jpg

1Bad_ShelbyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gt350R
Yep, Triple Yellow, black racing stripes, loud car, red badging...... turns a lot of heads alright...... especially those who are POLICE OFFICERS.
Guess I should keep my Ray Bans on then......

and try to fly under the radar....... :cheers:

FocusRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby
It never gets old - I get thumbs up comments everywhere I go !

Heck this guy at my kid's high school was out looking at my car and JUMPED and literally went nuts in happiness when I started mine up. Absolutely hilarious !
Sponsored