Sponsored

Just got rear ended... and she doesn't want to go through insurance?

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
If she hit you coming from 45 there is major damage underneath. Probably to the tune of 10K+

Insurance is there for a reason. If shes saying long story, shes dodging something, most likely an ass whooping from her parents and or getting dropped from her insurance company for previous dumb stuff like this.

Its not your fault, so get your stuff fixed right. The rest will come out in the wash.
Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Why do you not want to report it, carfax? If that's the case, that's a pretty douchy move to begin with unless you planned on diclosing the information to a buyer if you ever did sell.

It would be cheaper, and correct to just go through your insurance because you can risk a lot of issues having someone pay out of pocket. I was rear ended a year ago in the back of my 15' WRX by an old lady. She insisted on paying but I told her that there was no way to determine how much it would cost on the spot. She also probably assumed it wasn't only a "scratch". Both of her plate bracket bolts pushed through my bumper and causing spider cracks on the paint. Ended up being almost 1k worth of damage for such a small ding. They had to order a new bumper cover and 3 stage paint. So I am glad I went that route. Cover your ass and have it all documented through insurance. They have lawyers for these things in the events that people don't want to pay up. Your deductible will be reimbursed assuming that they take fault. If not, your insurance will go after them anyways.

oesman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dmitry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
My rule is I will only take money outside of insurance if the accident is minor enough for me to know exactly how much it will cost. I had a guy rear end one of my other cars two years ago and he barely touched me, but enough that the bumper needed new paint, it was through the primer but nothing was broken. I'm not riding around with paint pen filler paint for someone else's fuckup. Guy was trying to offer me $100, which is a joke. I told him he can either go to the bank/ATM with me and give me $700 or we can do it through insurance. He opted for insurance and it ended up being just around $650 for paint and labor at the dealer.

If it's anything where I can't determine how much it is, insurance is all that's going to happen. My daily driver's fancy LED head lights are nearly $2K a piece. The idea that I'm gonna take it somewhere and then later see if the person wants to caught up thousands of dollars is pretty ridiculous. Just think about those studies that say like 60% of Americans can't come up with $1,000 in an emergency (without borrowing). So what are the chances someone is going to give me $5K cash if they screw up a head light and a bumper?

MELLOWYELLOW06

MELLOW 2.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT PP
Ive gone through being nice to people too many times to still not realize, the good guy will get screwed in the end.

Report it.

You will need to have a reputable shop remove panels and see what the eyes cant.
There may be damage and bent /deformed pieces that need to be replaced.

Like others have said, it will be in your best interest to file a claim.

Quiksilver15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT
At a minimum you should have had an officer come out and do a police report. Notify your insurance ASAP of what is going on. Not filing a claim, but noting the incident.

Sponsored

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Where is OP? Hasn't been in this thread lately? :shrug:

The Great Gazoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Silver GT/Auto
Where I live, you can pay the insurance company back for the damage claimed and they don't count it against you.

Always go through insurance. Don't you watch People's Court or Judge Judy? Every second case is about somebody not paying from an accident. lol

nicktechla

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nicktwaddell.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot
At a minimum you should have had an officer come out and do a police report. Notify your insurance ASAP of what is going on. Not filing a claim, but noting the incident.
in CA police officers don't come out anymore unless someone is injured

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
in CA police officers don't come out anymore unless someone is injured
Yes they do lol I see them all the time
No, Nick is right. Obviously there are always other mitigating circumstances (cop is driving by, bystander calls and says accident is bad, someone doesn't have license and/or insurance, etc). I tried having PD come out to document an accident and they refused because no one was hurt.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ghost5.0

ghost5.0

ghost5.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium in Oxford White
I have an update for everyone but first I’ll start by answering some of the questions asked.

“Are your tail lights tinted with vinyl film?”

Yes they are, I got them from Anchor Room and installed them myself over a year ago. Still look good.

“Is she hot?”

Not really by my standards lol. Late 20s doesn’t seem very intelligent so that’s a turn off for me.

“No cops showed up or there is no police report?”

Unfortunately no, there were no cops on scene although I was hoping a cop would show up. If there was one thing I could go back and do I would 100% call the police and have them write up a report. Now I know if anything like this ever happens to me again I will.

"Why do you not want to report it, carfax?"

Absolutely not. I’m not a scumbag I was planning on openly disclosing this incident when I sell the car later down the road, including pictures and all receipts from the work done at the body shop. The only reason I chose not to immediately report this accident was because I simply felt bad for the girl who was crying claiming she has never been involved in an accident before and that she promised she would pay for it all out of pocket. My kindness has come back to bite me though…

Now for the update:

This has turned into a complete nightmare. The girl told me she had never been in an accident before at the scene of the collision, yet on the phone with her hours after it happened she said she’s been in “so many accidents that she doesn’t even know what would happen with her insurance.” (Bravo to the member on here who saw the various paint streaks from hitting other cars on her bumper). Even though she lied to me I still felt bad and was willing to work with her as long as I get a quality repair on my car and she pays in full. I told her I would get a quote from a shop and let her know the cost. After some research on body shops I found a good one and called them up. The guy there told me she would have to pay for them to take apart the rear bumper and check for any underlying damages just to get a quote on the total repair cost, he also deeply recommended that I go through insurance and contact her first to be a little less aggressive before I file the claim. I called her, and then again, and again. I texted her warning what was about to happen, and still no reply.

She has totally flaked on me. This accident happened Saturday 12/10, and she has not spoken to me since then. The best part is we both have an iPhone and she has her read receipts on so I can see she reads my messages, and I can also tell she hits the ignore button because it rings a different amount of times each time I try to call. After more attempts to contact her, I finally called my insurance company yesterday and they recommended I call her insurance company so that I wouldn’t have to pay a deductible in the meantime. Here’s where the real frustration started to set in. First off, I only took a picture of the front of her insurance card so I had to google the company for the phone number. Turns out her insurance company has 189 one star reviews with rumors that it’s going out of business soon. Some of the reviews are terrifying saying that it’s near impossible to get them to pay up and multiple people claim they had to get a lawyer… Anyway I called the company and after being put on hold for an absurd 29 minutes I was connected to a very unprofessional young lady who took 4 tries to spell my name/VIN/license, etc. It was a horrible experience and now I guess I just wait impatiently for an adjuster to call...

I just wish I knew what to do when it happened. Doesn’t help that this was my very first collision, and I was overly sympathetic to the girl. I have definitely learned a lesson here, but I am starting to fear for the future of this situation. Thanks everyone for the awesome advice that I should’ve taken earlier. I really hope her insurance adjuster contacts me soon before I have to start worrying about getting a lawyer. :frusty:

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
... Here’s where the real frustration started to set in. First off, I only took a picture of the front of her insurance card so I had to google the company for the phone number.
You can print an accident checklist and put that in the glove compartment. Then if you get in accident, just go down the checklist. That's better than trying to remember what to do when you might be under stress.

... Turns out her insurance company has 189 one star reviews with rumors that it’s going out of business soon. Some of the reviews are terrifying saying that it’s near impossible to get them to pay up and multiple people claim they had to get a lawyer… Anyway I called the company and after being put on hold for an absurd 29 minutes I was connected to a very unprofessional young lady who took 4 tries to spell my name/VIN/license, etc. It was a horrible experience and now I guess I just wait impatiently for an adjuster to call...

I just wish I knew what to do when it happened. Doesn’t help that this was my very first collision, and I was overly sympathetic to the girl. I have definitely learned a lesson here, but I am starting to fear for the future of this situation. Thanks everyone for the awesome advice that I should’ve taken earlier. I really hope her insurance adjuster contacts me soon before I have to start worrying about getting a lawyer. :frusty:
I don't think you would have to get a lawyer. Either her insurance company will take care of things, or else you can file on your own insurance, and let them get their lawyers after her insurance. They will know how collect better than you will.

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
stop wasting your time dealing with her insurance company. Yes, you will initially have to pay the deductible but you pay premiums to your insurance company and believe me they will get both their money and your deductible back from her insurance company.

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
^^
This. Don't waste any of your time dealing with her insurance. You'll get years of runaround and no results.

Let loose your own insurance company's attack dogs to tangle with hers. No stress on your part, it will get results, and be a whole lot more fun to watch while it's happening.