My R Journey

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
Looking good there Chris. Not a good time to have to get a new car. Weather hasn't been all that great, plus the tree pollen is horrible this year. Washed the Shelby at the garage attached to the house and moved it 100 feet to the other garage and it was covered with the yellow crap. The Porsche got a good dose just from opening the door to put the Shelby away.
Did a waterless wash on both last night so they'll both be good to go if the weather ever gets good.
WP_20180519_002.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
Looking good there Chris. Not a good time to have to get a new car. Weather hasn't been all that great, plus the tree pollen is horrible this year. Washed the Shelby at the garage attached to the house and moved it 100 feet to the other garage and it was covered with the yellow crap. The Porsche got a good dose just from opening the door to put the Shelby away.
Did a waterless wash on both last night so they'll both be good to go if the weather ever gets good.
I never realized, until your photo above, how similar the roof line and side window profile is between the S550 and the Cayman.

OP
OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I learned a valuable lesson this past Friday. Never, EVER, try to play "keep up with the Joneses" at an airport - just as soon as I showed up with an R, my neighbor shows up with this bad boy.

Somehow, my car feels a little less special around this sort of stuff. :shrug:

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
I learned a valuable lesson this past Friday. Never, EVER, try to play "keep up with the Joneses" at an airport - just as soon as I showed up with an R, my neighbor shows up with this bad boy.

He flew in from the north right over my house Friday. Being an ex pilot myself, I love seeing the old War birds.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I never realized, until your photo above, how similar the roof line and side window profile is between the S550 and the Cayman.
I thought they were two S550s, lol.

OP
OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As mentioned in an earlier post, just before heading to Daytona Beach to pick up JR265, I had to go to Las Vegas for an overnighter to attend a wedding of a friend of Mrs. Muligan. Although that was the reason I had to delay picking up the new car, I made lemonade out of it by spending a couple hours at Shelby American, Inc. while all the ladies were busy at the spa enjoying themselves.

I like to keep a journal for my fun cars - just to track things and jot down random thoughts about the car. I find it especially good for keeping track of road trips, ideas related to maintenance / issues / mods, and for reflecting on during the non-driving season. I picked up this leather-bound book at SAI, which is just perfect for the new car, and it was all of ten bucks. I used it to document the process I went through from day one, including the trip to Daytona Beach, and it'll follow the car for as long as I own it.

And here are a couple of additional pics. I'll admit that it has lost a bit of its luster, at least in my opinion, now that Ol' Shel isn't around anymore, but it's still a very impressive facility. Certainly worth a visit if you're in Las Vegas, as it's located right at the southwest corner of the airport... around a mile from the rental car garage.

Last edited:

1Bad_ShelbyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gt350R
I finally had a chance to spend the entire day at the hangar doing the detailing on JR265. I finished up the cleaning of the undercarriage and was able to get it off the lift, where it spent the last couple of weeks. Next up was a trip over to the wash area outside the pilot's lounge. We have pretty hard well water here, so I bought an in-line hose filter from a spa place - one that's made for filling hot tubs or RV drinking water tanks. It did an awesome job of clearing out all of the minerals, as I had no water spotting or etching like prior washes on other cars. I also used my new Milwaukee blower - looks like a mini leaf blower and is powered by their M18 batteries. The blower did a great job of getting the water out of all the cracks and crevices, then after a final wipe down I tackled the interior, trunk, and underhood.

Still no wax or silicone products (like tire shine or anything), as the Xpel guy is coming to my shop this Tuesday to do his thing. After that, I can finally install the splitter and get on the road and start putting some break-in miles on her..... still just sitting there with 8.5 miles on the odo.

Even with just clean, bare paint, the color really pops........

20180519_173102_zps2zjcrfgh.jpg
Chris, what car wash soap did you use ............. also did you use a clay bar ?

It’s looks pretty .......... Awesome, I must say ......... :clap2:

1Bad_ShelbyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gt350R
Looking Good Wriggly !!!

..... they look like twins ..... :cheers:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Muligan

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chris, what car wash soap did you use ............. also did you use a clay bar ?

It’s looks pretty .......... Awesome, I must say ......... :clap2:
Believe it or not, just Meguire's Gold liquid soap and a microfiber wash mitt, then microfiber towels to dry it. Absolutely nothing else done to the car, as the Xpel guy will clay the areas where it's getting covered and I didn't want anything to get in the way of adhesion of the film.

Once he's done, I'll give it a better detail and wax - so it'll really pop out in the sun with all that bass-boat grade metal flake!!!

The real thanks goes to Gotti. :thumbsup::ninja:

1Bad_ShelbyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gt350R
Believe it or not, just Meguire's Gold liquid soap and a microfiber wash mitt, then microfiber towels to dry it. Absolutely nothing else done to the car, as the Xpel guy will clay the areas where it's getting covered and I didn't want anything to get in the way of adhesion of the film.

Once he's done, I'll give it a better detail and wax - so it'll really pop out in the sun with all that bass-boat grade metal flake!!!

The real thanks goes to Gotti. :thumbsup::ninja:
That’s crazy....... I used the same wash and micro fibre mitt, except I used a

Chamois to dry her off........ is there a negative Chris, to using a chamois to dry

the car ?......... :confused:

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
That’s crazy....... I used the same wash and micro fibre mitt, except I used a

Chamois to dry her off........ is there a negative Chris, to using a chamois to dry

the car ?......... :confused:
Chamois scratches.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Better yet, don't touch the car at all. The air force master blaster by metrovac does a great job. Heated high velocity air blows the water away. I haven't chamois'd a car in a while now

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S

Oh wow! I was going to compliment you on your man cave. What airport?
Sponsored