Sponsored

2018 gauge cluster retrofit

Sherrodmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
The beta version won’t help me. The beta version they were using is the same that is currently released now. I can’t even use IDS to program my cluster because it isn’t in Fords database yet...
Gotcha, want to make sure I understand.

ForScan is not picking up the IPC module and in turn you can't make any of the necessary changes to the data for the new cluster?

With the thought that it could have been changed to a different module in the more recent clusters being order.

But I assume it was working at one time because couple other members have made the swap and changed the data with ForScan once they picked up the new SCCM module with the extra few lines of data.

Just tring to follow the issues..

My nephew is a Ford Mechanic here at the local Ford Dealer. I wonder if it is something they can access if I had him take look at when I get the new cluster in?

Just learning here.. I assume IDS is another scan tool used at the dealership? Just sent him a text asking about it.. lol
Sponsored

DallasEl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dallas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I really need to read more carefully [MENTION=29356]breeves002[/MENTION] - just to confirm I can take this link down and isn't needed?

I haven't used yet planing to today. I believe I used the link earlier in the thread for the DL (hopefully) let us know if this resolves the issue

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14T8XBXDx9dLdihappzXhiJLQS5XlVjVi/view

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Just piping in here......the beta version before this version that is out now is what programmed my IPC. The version that is out now was released to me earlier as a beta version for programming the heated steering wheel module which of course I still can’t try because I need the fricken SCCM still like all of us.
I have not tried to change any of my IPC asbuilt data with this version because all of mine took programming and again, is waiting for the SCCM to have full function.

Very strange that this is happened but all I can say is be patient as forscan is very diligent at getting things operational.

Last edited:

breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Gotcha, want to make sure I understand.

ForScan is not picking up the IPC module and in turn you can't make any of the necessary changes to the data for the new cluster?

With the thought that it could have been changed to a different module in the more recent clusters being order.

But I assume it was working at one time because couple other members have made the swap and changed the data with ForScan once they picked up the new SCCM module with the extra few lines of data.

Just tring to follow the issues..

My nephew is a Ford Mechanic here at the local Ford Dealer. I wonder if it is something they can access if I had him take look at when I get the new cluster in?

Just learning here.. I assume IDS is another scan tool used at the dealership? Just sent him a text asking about it.. lol
I may try to get out to my buddy with IDS but the FORScan guys seem to think IDS won't be able to program it because it hasn't been released in Fords database yet. FORScan does pick up the cluster and can run self tests and read abd - it just can't write to it. It fails. My guess is Ford released a new software version that handles writing abd differently like they seem to do all the time. We'll see what happens.

I really need to read more carefully [MENTION=29356]breeves002[/MENTION] - just to confirm I can take this link down and isn't needed?

I haven't used yet planing to today. I believe I used the link earlier in the thread for the DL (hopefully) let us know if this resolves the issue

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14T8XBXDx9dLdihappzXhiJLQS5XlVjVi/view
Link isn't needed. That beta is actually an older version then the current version which is 2.3.13. Thanks though!

Just piping in here......the beta version before this version that is out now is what programmed my IPC. The version that is out now was released to me earlier as a beta version for programming the heated steering wheel module which of course I still can’t try because I need the fricken SCCM still like all of us.
I have not tied to change any of my IPC asbuilt data with this version because all of mine took programming and again, is waiting for the SCCM to have full function.

Very strange that this is happened but all I can say is be patient as forscan is very diligent at getting things operational.
They are great, and being patient is difficult. :)

Also, anyone doing this swap or using FORScan in general you should think about buying the FORScan Lite phone app. Supports these guys that do amazing work with the free PC software. We wouldn’t be able to do half the stuff we can without them.

breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Update: IDS 128.05 (current version) fails to program my cluster. Time to be patient and wait for the 129 release at the end of the month... so frustrating.

WARNING to anyone waiting to do this. Right now the newest instrument clusters cannot have their as built data changed! Not even with the dealer scan tool. I will keep this thread updated when Ford releases this software in the database.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Sherrodmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
Ok wanted to get some info out for those dealing with the JR3Z-3F791-HA (Steering Column Housing Assembly with SCCM) part. The heated wheels are on backorder status as those have ordered know. What isn’t backordered is the non heated versions. I’ve listed the part numbers below. If you are 100% sure you are not going for the heated wheel, you do not need to order the HA or LA part version and most likely want one of the others and can proceed with this project.

HA is with heated wheel and with variable wipers. Backordered.

LA is with heated wheel, with lane departure and with auto wipers. Backordered

KA is without heated wheel, with lane departure, with auto wipers. Not backordered.

JA is without heated wheel and with variable wipers. Not backordered.

AA is with auto wipers and without lane departure. Nothing mentioned about heated or not heated wheel. Not backordered.

There is a DA but I can’t get info on that one.

None of the column SCCM units have anything to do with auto brights as it isn’t in the reference notes so this part is most likely not responsible for loosing the brights icon in the dash (brights with headlights still work normally) and is probably asbuilt related.

So again, if you know you don’t want a heated wheel and all the extra parts/costs associated with that, you can probably get your sccm much quicker. If there is a possibility that you may want the heated wheel, stay with the one of the heated versions you ordered or will order.
Thanks for this info, just sent an email requesting to change the part to JA instead of HA. As I have no desire to have the heated steering wheel option. Maybe I can get them to send the swaped SCCM along with the cluster and dash bezel out so I can get started on the swap.

My nephew said they were using a different program to access the the 18 Lincoln's with the digital dash other than IDS at the shop. Going to try find out more about this from him.. I am going to go ahead and order the cluster and give it a try. He said if I couldn't access it he will try to pull it up at the dealership and access the IPC module and help my change the data needed with the Ford software they have at that shop.

Last edited:

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Update: IDS 128.05 (current version) fails to program my cluster. Time to be patient and wait for the 129 release at the end of the month... so frustrating.

WARNING to anyone waiting to do this. Right now the newest instrument clusters cannot have their as built data changed! Not even with the dealer scan tool. I will keep this thread updated when Ford releases this software in the database.
This is likely due to the software update related to the recall on the LCD clusters.

breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
My nephew said they were using a different program to access the the 18 Lincoln's with the digital dash other than IDS at the shop. Going to try find out more about this from him.. I am going to go ahead and order the cluster and give it a try. He said if I couldn't access it he will try to pull it up at the dealership and access the IPC module and help my change the data needed with the Ford software they have at that shop.
Yeah it’s FDRS but IDS still works for module programming for 2018+ it just doesn’t have the service data. It’s a slow changeover. IDS will still need to be used.

This is likely due to the software update related to the recall on the LCD clusters.
That was my guess as well. Hopefully the IDS 129 update fixes this.

Sherrodmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
Yeah it’s FDRS but IDS still works for module programming for 2018+ it just doesn’t have the service data. It’s a slow changeover. IDS will still need to be used.

That was my guess as well. Hopefully the IDS 129 update fixes this.
Yep, that is exactly what he said FDRS..

Hopefully the new updates will allow the IPC module to get programed...

breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
UPDATE. I got my cluster configured!!!! FORScan guys released a new beta for me. The dudes are amazing. They can do software better then Ford can! Incredible!

Link to beta software. Only use this if the current version DOES NOT WORK to program your cluster. This version could be obsolete very soon too: http://forscan.org/download/FORScanSetup2.3.14.test20180218.exe

It seems that the hardware part number is quite different in FORScan. The part number for manual is JR3Z-10849-LB For db252 it shows JR3T-10849-LG. For me it shows JR3T-10849-ALC. We also have different strategy's. Kind of odd the part number shows up differently in FORScan then what we ordered.

Known issues:

-7400 RPM redline. This is fine for some people but others (stock) will not want it. I'm going to dig into returning it to 6500rpm like it is when you first configure it.

-No high beams icon. High beams work there is just no icon for it

-Music doesn't show in the top. This seems to be an issue for me only though so I must have made an error somewhere.

Until I get the sccm/buttons in I can't go through any menus/change colors. So lots more stuff that doesn't work but only a few true problems that need to be fixed.

Sponsored

breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
[MENTION=32917]p6cl[/MENTION] you'll be happy with me. I found how to re-enable the high beams indication!

Fixed all 3 of the "known problems" I listed above. I may have created one new problem though. More on that later.

1. There are TWO RPM redline options. 6500 RPM and 7400 RPM. This does not change the actual throttle cut in the car it only changes the indication in the cluster.

To adjust this change bit 5 at 720-04-02. Set it XXXX-0XXX for 6500 RPM and set it XXXX-1XXX for 7400rpm. 2-F leave it at 6500rpm. There are no other RPM options.

2. To fix the high beams icon - change bit 5 in 720-09-01 to a 0. High beams indication disabled: XXXX-1XXX-XXXX. High beams indication ENABLED: XXXX-0XXX-XXXX

3. To make the music display you must have bit 2 in 720-05-01 set to an 8. NO Music indication is X0XX-XXXX-XXXX. Music playing is X8XX-XXXX-XXXX. I did not try any other values for this so I'm not sure exactly what it changes otherwise.

When I was finished I had codes in IPC for unexpected data received from both side BLIS computers. BLIS still works and the cluster doesn't say it is unavailable. I will have to try CTA and see if it shows up in cluster later. If it doesn't then I broke something I need to fix.

From my basic testing going line by line I found out that 720-03-02 has a bit that enables the gauge sweep at power up I think it enables TC/ESC toggling too. I also found 720-06-01 has a bit that enables drive modes and steering modes.

Hopefully this post helps some of you guys! If you have anything else broken let me know and I'll try and find it for you. We'll have to get this all into a guide once its all said and done and working with the new sccm.

Last edited:

breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
So on the 7400 rpm redline.

Does it still register past 7400 though? Some of us go to 8000. :D
Yes it goes up to 8000 with either setting. It just is when the gauges turn red. I have a 7600 rpm cutoff right now so I know how it goes. I prefer the 6500 rpm redline though because I like to know a good chunk before I need to shift. Since all the gauges turn red when you hit redline its really helpful. If I ever get up to 8000 with mods I may switch it to 7400.

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
Yes it goes up to 8000 with either setting. It just is when the gauges turn red. I have a 7600 rpm cutoff right now so I know how it goes. I prefer the 6500 rpm redline though because I like to know a good chunk before I need to shift. Since all the gauges turn red when you hit redline its really helpful. If I ever get up to 8000 with mods I may switch it to 7400.
:thumbsup:

When you get up to 7400 then 8000 comes up really fast. Especially with a Procharger.