Sponsored

New '18 GT PP1 - Engine Light (P0111)

DRTII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Not how I was looking to start my first post here, that's for sure.

Less than 100 miles into new car ownership I get a warning light. Purchased at around 40 miles, got a whopping 60 miles out of it before the engine light came on.

I've owned a lot of sports cars, none of them American. This isn't a great start. It's a fantastic looking package (subjective, obviously) and has so much potential, just hoping this isn't what I get to look forward to.

I'll be bringing the car back into the dealership tomorrow, already sent them a heads up email today and I'll report back about what they do.

Decided to take the GT into O'Reilly's Auto Parts near where I live and ran the OBDII myself to pull the codes. It's pointing the IAT being at fault, or more specifically, anything to do with the IAT, which could be the unit itself, the wiring or possibly even the PCM.

I won't bother trying to run any at-home diagnostics on it, it's a new car - they can deal with it under warranty, I'd rather not mess around with it.

At any rate, I'm still very happy with the car and the potential it has and after spending so many years with EU/JP vehicles it's really cool to have so much power on tap for such an extreme value...well, at least the potential for power because for those that know IAT issues the PCM pretty much goes into limp mode to protect itself from possible damage! Haha...oh man, I have to laugh or I'll cry.

If anyone else has dealt with this issue in 15+ GT's, please let me know. Would be interesting to get your take on the process, how it went down at the dealership and if you've experienced further issues. I'm well aware that the typical answer for "we can't replicate or diagnose this issue correctly" is a reflash, so I already went ahead and stated that this better be a damn fix, not a flash, otherwise it will continue happening over and over again.

Anything else I should know? Thanks!
Sponsored

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Well, I've had plenty of German cars (VW, Audi, Mercedes) and I don't know if I ever made it more than 10,000 miles without a CEL or two.

IMHO, id something goes wrong it will be sooner than later. Not that I have the stats on that. But it fits with my observations.

You would have the first IAT sensor issue I've even heard about. Check to see if you have an air filter installed?

Just keep on the dealer/service department.

OP
OP

DRTII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I don't disagree with...

1.) EU vehicles have terrible reliability issues. Even my STi left me stranded with under 10k miles and the E46 325i I purchased new back in 2003 had to be flatbedded twice and a new engine installed. Well aware of those issues.

2.) I'd rather have it happen early and under warranty. Total agreement.

Added 3 pics. Yes, there's a filter. Here's the code (1/3, all were P0111, this was the only "confirmed"). Yes, there's definitely an engine issue at 156 miles...and before anyone asks, no it isn't because my hood is open.
IMG_1851.JPG
IMG_1852.JPG
IMG_1850.JPG

Last edited:

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
"Engine issue" isnt it just the IAT sensor malfunction?

OP
OP

DRTII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Quite honestly I don't know what to call it. The engine light came on. I pulled the code, says IAT. Is there a better word for it when the engine light is on?

Sponsored

PUNISHER7772

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MUSTANG GT PP
Quite honestly I don't know what to call it. The engine light came on. I pulled the code, says IAT. Is there a better word for it when the engine light is on?
Did you get anywhere with this? Mine just popped up with the same code except I have 11,500 miles on mine. I do have a K&N panel filter but been there since around 600 miles. My IAT has always read about 5 degrees higher than ambient temperature but pretty sure that is normal.

Last edited:

PUNISHER7772

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MUSTANG GT PP
Did you get anywhere with this? Mine just popped up with the same code except I have 11,500 miles on mine. I do have a K&N panel filter but been there since around 600 miles. My IAT has always read about 5 degrees higher than ambient temperature but pretty sure that is normal.
Not sure what it was but I popped the cover off yesterday, there was some crap built up in the filter (bugs, a couple pine needles, pieces of leaves?, not sure how all of that got all the way up there) so I cleaned out what I could. I also disconnected the sensor and reattached and cleared the code, hasn't come back on.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
This is all that afore has out on the P0111, see attached.
Sponsored

Attachments