Will the GT500 Have a DCT

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
Every time someone talks about transmission capacity they always zero in on one number and completely ignore all other important information about it. It's like trying to figure out how fast a car would be by looking at its horsepower number and completely ignoring how much the car weighs.

As jjw mentioned, transmission torque capacity is based on a max vehicle weight. The MT-82 for example was 'rated' at 369ft-lbs at approx 3,000-4,500kg GVWR which is substantially higher than the actual mustang weight and thus torque capacity.
I get that point, what's bugging me about that is that some OEM manufacturers tend to "top" the torque to the "max torque" of the transmission even when that maximum torque is for a higher GVWR as you point out.

For example (the first one that comes to my mind), the Polo GTI (Which I don't know it's not available in the States):

With a manual transmission it has up to 236lb-ft of torque, however if you decide to choose an "automatic" (The DSG DQ200) it tops at 184lb-ft which coincidentally happens to be maximum torque of the DQ200 (250Nm).
Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I think it will be under torque rating. I'm guessing 650 torque, although agree about the GRVW

TexArmageddon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Machsmith already knows how I feel about this subject.. Right now my assumptions of power levels are looking to be in line with what I said... Now it's time to see how DCT works out

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
The other being the extra exotic materials to cope with such outputs would result in a blown-out cost. A good example of this was the GT350 offered for low 50s, with an engine that although was capable of 600hp was reduced to what it is to keep costs down. How many Zeta Camaro Z/28 were still on the car lots waiting to be sold @ $75K?
The reason it has 526 hp and not 600 hp is simply down to durability and warranty targets and has 0 to do with costs. It literally costs Ford pennies on the dollar to detune an engine via ECU tuning. If what you were saying was true then the 5.2 would have been redesigned using less exotic materials to cut costs. The fact that it can handle 600+ hp debunks that.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
The reason it has 526 hp and not 600 hp is simply down to durability and warranty targets and has 0 to do with costs. It literally costs Ford pennies on the dollar to detune an engine via ECU tuning. If what you were saying was true then the 5.2 would have been redesigned using less exotic materials to cut costs. The fact that it can handle 600+ hp debunks that.
On the one hand you acknowledge the aspect of durability and warranty then talk about 600+ aftermarket, non-compliant horsepower?!

I didn't pull that info out of nowhere - it came from the manufacturer of certain Voodoo components. When I say "was capable of 600hp" I meant with certain exotic components deemed too costly for production, therefore they just didn't detune it to 526hp, but the hardware itself was downgraded.

Sponsored

geepaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350, '15 WRX STI Launch Ed, '03 SVT Cobra (RIP)
I think it will have the 10 speed. The R&D $ Spent
On the DCT would be a big hit on msrp for such a low volume car IMO

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I think it will have the 10 speed. The R&D $ Spent
On the DCT would be a big hit on msrp for such a low volume car IMO
The GT500 will have a special component to it.

The GT350 has the FPC.

The 500... will it be the DCT? Or something else...

Btw, I see an ‘03 Cobra in the list of cars you drive. GREAT choice :)

geepaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350, '15 WRX STI Launch Ed, '03 SVT Cobra (RIP)
The GT500 will have a special component to it.

The GT350 has the FPC.

The 500... will it be the DCT? Or something else...

Btw, I see an ‘03 Cobra in the list of cars you drive. GREAT choice :)
A big blower is special :). Thanks for the complement on the 03 . Wife and kids won’t let me sell it ..too many memories. It was my DD for 12 years.

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
Every time someone talks about transmission capacity they always zero in on one number and completely ignore all other important information about it. It's like trying to figure out how fast a car would be by looking at its horsepower number and completely ignoring how much the car weighs.

As jjw mentioned, transmission torque capacity is based on a max vehicle weight. The MT-82 for example was 'rated' at 369ft-lbs at approx 3,000-4,500kg GVWR which is substantially higher than the actual mustang weight and thus torque capacity.
Every. Single. Time. I have posted this at least three times before.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

I beat this drum so hard when the MT82 was first released. But apparently people have very thick skulls.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I beat this drum so hard when the MT82 was first released. But apparently people have very thick skulls.
Oh we have ample evidence of this throughout the country...

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Not sure why Ford would drop in a brand new DCT transmission just a year after introducing a very potent and lightning fast 10 speed auto.

I agree that if all you had was a 6R80 in the lineup you'd want a nicer transmission in the company's flagship car. But given how well the 10R80 is performing, why not use that. The ZL1 uses a beefed up version of that same transmission, so I can't imagine the GT500 won't. Ford and GM invested heavily in bringing this unit to the market so I don't see a reason why not to use it in all the models even the flagship car.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
What makes you think that Ford wants to have the same transmission as the ZL1? To have the same exact performance metric? A manual is different IMO.
I don't want any part of a ZL1 in my GT500. Just sayin. I realize the things in a raptor (and IMO, it was just OK, not great), but unless just has to be, I'd prefer nothing that a ZL1 has in it, unless its superior to anything else. It seems that ford may think that the DCT is superior to the A10? We'll see.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure why Ford would drop in a brand new DCT transmission just a year after introducing a very potent and lightning fast 10 speed auto.

I agree that if all you had was a 6R80 in the lineup you'd want a nicer transmission in the company's flagship car. But given how well the 10R80 is performing, why not use that. The ZL1 uses a beefed up version of that same transmission, so I can't imagine the GT500 won't. Ford and GM invested heavily in bringing this unit to the market so I don't see a reason why not to use it in all the models even the flagship car.
It would make sense that they want to differentiate their performance cars from the regular line up. Especially this one.

They probably don't like the idea of using a (basically) truck transmission in their flagship pony car.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT

What makes you think that Ford wants to have the same transmission as the ZL1? To have the same exact performance metric? A manual is different IMO.
I don't want any part of a ZL1 in my GT500. Just sayin. I realize the things in a raptor (and IMO, it was just OK, not great), but unless just has to be, I'd prefer nothing that a ZL1 has in it, unless its superior to anything else. It seems that ford may think that the DCT is superior to the A10? We'll see.
I know, I know about the correlation between the weight and the torque capacity of the gearbox, however the TR9007 takes up to 900Nm while the 10R80 takes up to 800Nm. Maybe they wanted to have a gearbox with better torque capacity and a little "Special" as well.

It would make sense that they want to differentiate their performance cars from the regular line up. Especially this one.

They probably don't like the idea of using a (basically) truck transmission in their flagship pony car.
That's what I was thinking about. A differenciation between their performance cars and regular cars line up. I mean, the 2.3L Mustang and the 2.3L Ranger have the 10 Speed Auto... IMO I would prefer to have a gearbox similar to the Ford GT (DCT 7speed) instead of one like the Ranger.
Sponsored