Sponsored

So close, yet so far

larze123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Ecoboost
I'm 17 and my insurance is roughly $2600 a year for a loaded Premium Ecoboost coupe. Its under my parents and we have GEICO if that helps. There is no way in hell that you should be paying 400-500 a month.... no way. Shop around and scrounge for every discount you can get (Good grades, defensive driving, etc).
Sponsored

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Parents are only considering it since every semester all A's and one stupid B. They are pushing me really hard into college but I honestly don't see me there and will probably go to a technical school for diesal mechanic. I know I could totally maintain the payments and I could be getting the car cheaper since I would be working at a Ford dealership and sorry not trying to Jack the thread. :(
Nothing wrong with wanting to go to technical school either. They cost money just the same as a university as well. Grades are great but don't equal experience or maturity. Do it all on your own and you will have a different perspective on it. I'll go on record saying your parents are making a mistake. Hard words to hear but someone has to say it.

I'm 17 and my insurance is roughly $2600 a year for a loaded Premium Ecoboost coupe. Its under my parents and we have GEICO if that helps. There is no way in hell that you should be paying 400-500 a month.... no way. Shop around and scrounge for every discount you can get (Good grades, defensive driving, etc).
It is that "low" because more than likely your parent is described as the primary driver. If you try to get that exact same policy just on yourself as the primary driver I have no doubt it would double. I will agree with keeping your grades up, making the most of your taxpayer paid or private education.

If a 16-17 year old can buy and pay for monthly insurance rates right out of their pocket or with their earning while keep up grades I am ALL FOR IT. Short of that parents are making a mistake in my book. I hope they don't find out the hard way. :(

larze123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Ecoboost
Nothing wrong with wanting to go to technical school either. They cost money just the same as a university as well. Grades are great but don't equal experience or maturity. Do it all on your own and you will have a different perspective on it. I'll go on record saying your parents are making a mistake. Hard words to hear but someone has to say it.

It is that "low" because more than likely your parent is described as the primary driver. If you try to get that exact same policy just on yourself as the primary driver I have no doubt it would double. I will agree with keeping your grades up, making the most of your taxpayer paid or private education.

If a 16-17 year old can buy and pay for monthly insurance rates right out of their pocket or with their earning while keep up grades I am ALL FOR IT. Short of that parents are making a mistake in my book. I hope they don't find out the hard way. :(
Currently with my job, I can easily pay for my yearly insurance rate and still have thousands in saving. School is relatively easy, and I am walking into senior year with a 4.0 unweighted GPA and 9 AP classes under my belt. Basically, I don't think my parents are worried about me losing focus. Being successful in school and earning a bit of money is very doable.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Currently with my job, I can easily pay for my yearly insurance rate and still have thousands in saving. School is relatively easy, and I am walking into senior year with a 4.0 unweighted GPA and 9 AP classes under my belt. Basically, I don't think my parents are worried about me losing focus. Being successful in school and earning a bit of money is very doable.
Grades are good to see and glad you are putting some money into savings. A wise decision. Did you purchase the car on your own, a gift from your family or a combination of the two? In other words, whose name is on the title of the vehicle as the legal owner. Thanks. :)

Sponsored

larze123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Ecoboost
Grades are good to see and glad you are putting some money into savings. A wise decision. Did you purchase the car on your own, a gift from your family or a combination of the two?
My dad works for a company with ties to ford, and we had an old trade in, so it was do-able. Honestly, there is no other way to say it, my dad makes a fair bit of money, and it was within our budget to just outright purchase it. I in no way take it for granted, nor will I ever get any other gift like this from my parents again, so I will take care of the car and be as responsible as I possible can be while inside it.

Side note: When your 17 and you have a semi-fast car and your like me and you drive conservatively and never speed, other teenagers make fun of you... But I couldn't give less of a shit.

Angel14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angel
So if us 16/17/18 year olds didn't get are parents involved with the co-sign and we paid all of the monthly payments and expenses while mainting a job and good grades it would be okay? Just asking can't help it I have been following the s550 since it came out and made it my goal to have one by senior year kinda hurts getting pretty much told your stupid if you get one. :brokenheart:

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
My dad works for a company with ties to ford, and we had an old trade in, so it was do-able. Honestly, there is no other way to say it, my dad makes a fair bit of money, and it was within our budget to just outright purchase it. I in no way take it for granted, nor will I ever get any other gift like this from my parents again, so I will take care of the car and be as responsible as I possible can be while inside it.

Side note: When your 17 and you have a semi-fast car and your like me and you drive conservatively and never speed, other teenagers make fun of you... But I couldn't give less of a shit.
Thanks for answering. :) I take it your Dad paid for it and his name is on the title. It is his money to spend. I may disagree with it but again, its not my money. Doesn't sound like it would happen but he does then have EVERY right to take it away or sell it outright. Remember that, although I think you already understand that. With privilege comes responsibility. Keep it safe out there. :)

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
So if us 16/17/18 year olds didn't get are parents involved with the co-sign and we paid all of the monthly payments and expenses while mainting a job and good grades it would be okay? Just asking can't help it I have been following the s550 since it came out and made it my goal to have one by senior year kinda hurts getting pretty much told your stupid if you get one. :brokenheart:
Yep, I'm all for it. Personal responsibility and such. I may not think it is a wise decision for such a young person but if you take all the responsibilities of buying, insuring and maintaining a new vehicle while maintaining good grades and holding down a job then you are entitled to all its privileges. Thats how it works in the real world anyway. There are no safety nets for adults. I miss my payments, its repoed. I don't insure it, I'm ticketed or lose my license. I get into an accident I am the owner and could be found libel.

You are never stupid for wanting something, we aren't saying that at all. Glad you love the Mustang too. :) A job as a parent is to prepare our children for what the real world is like. But if you can handle all the responsibilities by yourself without parental help then you should enjoy the benefits. AND you get that pride of ownership. IT IS YOURS AND NO ONE ELSES!!!! If you want to eat burritos in YOUR car at 3am in the driveway it is your privilege. You want to mod the car YOU bought, paid and insure, you do what YOU want. If I own the car, I make the rules. Make sense? :)

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
Adulthood isn't really a reality until you are making payments for all aspects of life. Affording a car and insurance while living under your parents' roof is one thing. Being able to afford all that and pay for your roof and food and medical is another. Good luck to those jumping in the deep end.

Sponsored

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
because if you got that kind of money at 16... invest it on something that isn't a car that loses thousands when you drive it off the lot. just makes no sense to me...but whatever it's your life...you could just do so much more for 22k like the examples we gave you. take the 22k and turn it into more, not less.

Hawk296

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' GT PP
Adulthood isn't really a reality until you are making payments for all aspects of life. Affording a car and insurance while living under your parents' roof is one thing. Being able to afford all that and pay for your roof and food and medical is another. Good luck to those jumping in the deep end.
I think it really sunk in when I had to buy my own toilet paper... You just never think about those things before.

Angel14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angel
because if you got that kind of money at 16... invest it on something that isn't a car that loses thousands when you drive it off the lot. just makes no sense to me...but whatever it's your life...you could just do so much more for 22k like the examples we gave you. take the 22k and turn it into more, not less.
I really thought about buying a property but started looking around at local properties near me and lots alone were costing more then I would have saved up by senior year. The lots were also like 1/10th of a acre.

GNS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
That's not what we're saying. The point we're trying to make is that by delaying your purchase now and using your money wisely with both eyes on the future, you will reap far greater benefits than if you had blown it on a depreciating asset (which will require you to make monthly payments and high insurance premiums).

It was never a matter of who else you are affecting with your poor financial decisions. If I had $22k at age 16 and I knew what I know now, I sure as hell would not spend it on a car.

danny0441

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt DIB
i agree with free agent my first car was a ford fusion that my father leased for me he gave the down signed the car i made the payments on the lease along with insurance and gas he could have paid for it but i learned a great deal of responsibility from it my second car was my first mustang at 19 it was a 2010 v6 fun little car he signed for it i made the down payment and eveything else here i am today and while my dad at the time could have bought me a gt cash im glad he didint i wouldnt be where i am today had everything been handed to me at such a young age no doubt when i bought the 5.0 he was the first one to drive it i get you want a new s550 really bad but dont stress out over it or create a strain because of high insurance payments your time will come find a job just dont get caught up in seeing cash coming in and focus on school i made that mistake was making 15 an hour my senior year working full time and for me with no responsibility i felt like a millionaire lol now im having to work twice as hard in school still young just sucks knowing id be making 80k a year easily had i started school sooner
Sponsored