Sponsored

Just a heads up

S550SVO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost mustang, 86 mercury capri,86 svo
My 15 was broken into last night. I caught the guys in the middle of going through my car. I suprised them and I got a good look at the guy that was in the car but not his buddy.

His buddy was driving a dodge ram . Anyway I called the cops and gave a description of the guy and the truck.
the officer showed up 30 min later and said they had 3 suspects and asked if I could i.d. anyone.

So I went with the officer and 1 of the 3 was the guy.
come to find out the truck was stolen .

Here's the kicker ,I don't know how they got in the car.
the car was defiantly locked I always hit the lock button until I hear the horn beep. No damage to the door handle or glass.

I'm not sure if the proximity of the key fob played into this.
my car is parked about 20 ft from my front door and my key fob was just inside maybe another 2ft. On my coat hook.

I tried to open the car while the key was were I keep it but I couldn't . So I'm really not sure how they did it. I hope our cars don't have the same issues as the fox bodies ,because I can get into my capri faster with a screwdriver then my keys.

Paul
Sponsored

Farmundeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT Premium
Sorry to hear man but at least you walked in on them. Was anything missing, and if so were you able to recover it?

emh87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT Premium 6MT
It is possible to amplify the signal of the fob to trick the car into thinking you are right by it, but do you think these guys were smart enough to do that?

Sorry to hear this :(

Supa LA

Drop a gear and disappear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic Mustang GT PP
That sucks! I have no idea how they couldve gotten in? Subscribed for more details tho.

Sponsored

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I believe the fob only has enough signal to allow the doors to be unlocked using proximity within about 2 ft, so it shouldn't have been able to be unlocked that way. I know with frameless doors on older cars, they would pull the glass out a bit a run something down to unlock, but it would be tricky to hit the unlock switch on our cars due to the location. They may have just "jimmied" the lock the same way a tow truck tech would (aka Slim Jim).

Did it set the alarm off? Even if you don't have the enhanced security, entering the car without a fob being used to do so should set off the alarm I'd think. Again unless they managed to hit the interior unlock switch?

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
I would never be lucky enough to catch someone in the act like that let alone the cops actually catch someone. I'd say this was a pretty good turn out. Too bad you didn't get to go full america on them though

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I'm not sure if the proximity of the key fob played into this.
my car is parked about 20 ft from my front door and my key fob was just inside maybe another 2ft. On my coat hook.

I tried to open the car while the key was were I keep it but I couldn't . So I'm really not sure how they did it. I hope our cars don't have the same issues as the fox bodies ,because I can get into my capri faster with a screwdriver then my keys.

Paul
Read somewhere about amplifiers (?) thieves try to use that essentially amplifies proximity keyfob (that's lying insde the house) signal enough to be able to open the door. Sounds like it actually might be true.

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Read somewhere about amplifiers (?) thieves try to use that essentially amplifies proximity keyfob (that's lying insde the house) signal enough to be able to open the door. Sounds like it actually might be true.
Sounds like you need to lock your keys in a signal proof case like those anti-theft wallets for credit cards. :frusty:

Sponsored

2Cool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, PP in CO
OP
OP

S550SVO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost mustang, 86 mercury capri,86 svo
No they didn't get anything ,I don't keep anything of value in the car but it is annoying not knowing how they did this so I can take action to prevent it .

My house windows were open and I heard them talking before I went outside (I thought it was the neighbor talking to someone) . The ballsy thing is it was only about 11 pm.

2Cool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, PP in CO
No they didn't get anything ,I don't keep anything of value in the car but it is annoying not knowing how they did this so I can take action to prevent it .

My house windows were open and I heard them talking before I went outside (I thought it was the neighbor talking to someone) . The ballsy thing is it was only about 11 pm.
It is a $17 device you can buy on Ebay, if the keyless entry fob is within about 50 feet or so, they walk up to your car, hit the button that boosts all signals in the band used by keyless fobs, and open your door just like you were there holding the key in your hand.

Only fix is to maintain your fob in some form of signal blocking container, be it a faraday cage (like a microwave), or some pouch designed to kill the signal.

PrettySnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 BMW 530I
Thanks for the heads up, too bad this happened but atleast you were able to caught them.

I used to read somewhere a 20 bucks device from Walmart would be able to amplify the keyless single and it was quite a headache for Lexus owners and eventually they came up the idea of store the key in the fridge... I swear I'm not making this up LOL
Sponsored