First test drive and thoughts

Sabre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2023 Mach 1 with Handling Package
I was at my local Ford dealership yesterday morning, when the owner says, "hey we've got a new GT...wanna drive it?" Well of course I did, so they bring it around to the front, hand me the fob and say, "go have some fun". It was my first chance to actually drive the new GT...here are a few of my thoughts.

I was very impressed! Though I didn't get to take it out on any twisties, the car felt very planted. I'd still like to get one somewhere, where I can give the IRS a workout and get a good feel for the difference from the solid rear axle. The interior felt good and the seats and setting position for me was very comfortable...I'm 6'2" over 200 lbs...so that's always an important issue for me. I liked the interior layout of everything and though new, it still had that familiar Mustang feel to my 07. I thought the low clutch pedal engagement in 1st was a little funky and bucked the car the first couple of times from a stop light. Probably something a guy would get used too after a couple of days. The short throw shifter was smooth and worked well...I was impressed and thought it was an improvement over what they've had before. For a NA engine it has very good power and I thought the throttle response was very good too. I'm not the type to leave the power level alone, but if push came to shove I think I could live with the engine in stock form pretty easily. The only drawback I could really find, was the exhaust note. As mentioned somewhere here before, the first thing I would do is get an aftermarket exhaust on it...this car deserves to be heard!

Overall I was very impressed and look forward to a new one of my own down the road in a couple of years!

Well done Ford! :cheers:
Sponsored

A Polite Canadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT 6MT
An '07 premium would be a decent trade in to get you started on a S550.... just saying ;)

OP
OP
Sabre

Sabre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
An '07 premium would be a decent trade in to get you started on a S550.... just saying ;)
Thanks...I quite argree...but at this time I have 2013 F 150 being paid off. I'm thinking about a 2017 model Mustang, as I will be keeping the 07 Mustang and it will be nice to have 2 Mustangs with a 10 year interval.

Wes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Thought I'd chime in here as well. I sold my '13 GT last year (purchased new) and just stopped by to see the 15's. Wasn't really expecting to like them, and was kind of hoping I wouldn't, but instead I'll be picking one up tomorrow. (GT Prem PP)

Inside the car felt larger, the interior materials much higher quality, and the standard seats felt so tight I wouldn't want the Recaros. The power felt good, and maybe not as visceral "fast" as the 13, but it felt great if not just a little too quiet.

Personally I like the look of the car and wish Ford might have done more to get away from the retro style, but I'll take it for the price.

Sponsored

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
The suspension can be a little to taut for me... I was driving to work this morning and going over some of the uneven potholes I felt like my shocks were going to explode.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
The IRS is a huge improvement when it comes to handling, once you turn a few times you will see why. One of the things you cant really experience on a test drive :(

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Get the lower springs...heard it makes all the difference on the non PP models.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
I'm with you on the clutch OP; it's quite a wonky clutch and when I test drove a PP I was lurching the first few times. I only was able to do a quick test drive as the moment I got into the drivers seat to have a go the sky opened up and there was torrential rain for an hour.

I had roughly ~10 minutes with it and by the end I was starting to get a better feel for the clutch; but it was still weird... especially 1st to 2nd.

I'm going for another test drive tomorrow and hopefully the weather agrees with me so I can spend more time with both the PP and the non-PP.

TeddysStang

1st time Stang owner
Threads
Reaction score
Website
CarolinaCarConnections.info
First Name
Teddy
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Premium GT - 20" wheels
I'm with you on the clutch OP; it's quite a wonky clutch and when I test drove a PP I was lurching the first few times. I only was able to do a quick test drive as the moment I got into the drivers seat to have a go the sky opened up and there was torrential rain for an hour.

I had roughly ~10 minutes with it and by the end I was starting to get a better feel for the clutch; but it was still weird... especially 1st to 2nd.

I'm going for another test drive tomorrow and hopefully the weather agrees with me so I can spend more time with both the PP and the non-PP.
Yeah, the clutch is quite "wonky". When I am in normal mode, it's not as bad, but when I try shifting quickly in Sport Plus mode, 1st to 2nd shifts are hard to modulate, especially with the throttle sensitivity. I think I will quick shift to 2nd or just pull out in 2nd in Sport plus mode, unless I am trying to take off real quickly.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Sabre

Sabre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, the clutch is quite "wonky". When I am in normal mode, it's not as bad, but when I try shifting quickly in Sport Plus mode, 1st to 2nd shifts are hard to modulate, especially with the throttle sensitivity. I think I will quick shift to 2nd or just pull out in 2nd in Sport plus mode, unless I am trying to take off real quickly.

I didn't have it long enough to go through and try out all the driving modes. It was a brand new car and they were nice enough to give it to me and let me take it out for a test on my own....didn't want to put a lot of miles on it and didn't want to abuse the privilege and trust they put in me. One of the perks of a small town dealership where the people you buy from are also people you know and are friends.

Would like to find a ride n drive somewhere, where I could have more time in one and try out all the options without worry about it being a new car for sale to someone....but for now I'm happy with what I got to do!

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I was at my local Ford dealership yesterday morning, when the owner says, "hey we've got a new GT...wanna drive it?" Well of course I did, so they bring it around to the front, hand me the fob and say, "go have some fun". It was my first chance to actually drive the new GT...here are a few of my thoughts.

I was very impressed! Though I didn't get to take it out on any twisties, the car felt very planted. I'd still like to get one somewhere, where I can give the IRS a workout and get a good feel for the difference from the solid rear axle. The interior felt good and the seats and setting position for me was very comfortable...I'm 6'2" over 200 lbs...so that's always an important issue for me. I liked the interior layout of everything and though new, it still had that familiar Mustang feel to my 07. I thought the low clutch pedal engagement in 1st was a little funky and bucked the car the first couple of times from a stop light. Probably something a guy would get used too after a couple of days. The short throw shifter was smooth and worked well...I was impressed and thought it was an improvement over what they've had before. For a NA engine it has very good power and I thought the throttle response was very good too. I'm not the type to leave the power level alone, but if push came to shove I think I could live with the engine in stock form pretty easily. The only drawback I could really find, was the exhaust note. As mentioned somewhere here before, the first thing I would do is get an aftermarket exhaust on it...this car deserves to be heard!

Overall I was very impressed and look forward to a new one of my own down the road in a couple of years!

Well done Ford! :cheers:
Dealers have manual transmission models on lots??? Seriously?

Jfitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT Convertible
My first thoughts were, "God, this salesman has no clue about this car."

Seriously. I was playing dumb and asked about Track Mode. "I dunno, they just told us to never turn it on." - "So you never even turned it on in your personal car?" ( He owned a new S550 ) "Nope, never."

So then I asked if the car we were in had Line Lock. (It did.) He didn't know what it was. I described it and then he said he didn't think they had any cars with that.

This was their "Mustang guy" salesman too.

SMH Ford dealer. If I wasn't so informed I'd be upset with you.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app

Special50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50th Anniversary Special Edition
I loved it, but knowing the MFT was going obsolete at the end of the year was kinda sucky. I wish Sync 3 was backwards compatible. I hit a bump test driving the 2014 and I went over the same bump in the 2015 around the corner from the dealership. It inspired more confidence. I have to admit the 2014 left me shaking with adrenaline though!
Sponsored