Sponsored

15 gt pp vs. 15 camaro

jaja6009

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No s550 yet :(
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21013

Gonna be hilarious when these guys start losing to tuned Ecoboosts too. My upper only Cobra freight trained every 5th Gen that wanted to grab a lane. I have a hard time taking them serious.
Thanks for the link to the times list.

I learned alot about Camaro times.

Noone on that site has yet to get a ZL1 into the 11s bone stock, while an auto has gone 11.5!!! I wish DA was posted along with the times though.
Sponsored

Toddin Vancouver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZL1
Yes, I was a camaro owner in my youth. I joined this forum today to learn more about the gt350. I'm looking for an American muscle car (z/28, gt350, c7) for the track and I stumbled upon this thread.
Same here,mexcept I own a ZL1 now, and I am just at heart a car guy, not a brand fan boy " My car is faster because my Daddy always drove a Brand X" BS. I really like what Ford is doing with the new Mustang and how they are splitting the options up so customers can get closer to what they want, thats very cool. And the GT350R is well, just incredible.

Thanks for the link to the times list.

I learned alot about Camaro times.

Noone on that site has yet to get a ZL1 into the 11s bone stock, while an auto has gone 11.5!!! I wish DA was posted along with the times though.
Not sure where you get your numbers from but the ZL has no problem running high 11's. There is an older guy in our club with an Auto ZL and he runs 11.9's on the stock GoodYear no traction OE tires. Another buddy of mine with mods is now in the 9.9's with all stock internals and heads. 11.558 is the best 1/4 time for a ZL1 bone stock.

The ZL1, for whatever reason, came very de-Tuned from GM. Hell, they threw a CAI on the Z/28 and headers from the factory but not the ZL. A CAI is good for 30-40 HP alone. With minor bolt ons its a low 11 high 10 car when a quality tune is added it is 700'ish HP with the ability to lay it down, corner very well and still make a great Grand Tourer daily driver. I Use mine for work and I drive it year round and race it on weekends.

When I bought my ZL last year I tried them all and picked, what was to me, the best all round car. I sold my drag car so I didn't want a one dimensional vehicle. Had the Mustang GT350 been around it would have been a much harder choice but I can tell you I have no complaints with my current ride.

jaja6009

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same here,mexcept I own a ZL1 now, and I am just at heart a car guy, not a brand fan boy " My car is faster because my Daddy always drove a Brand X" BS. I really like what Ford is doing with the new Mustang and how they are splitting the options up so customers can get closer to what they want, thats very cool. And the GT350R is well, just incredible.

Not sure where you get your numbers from but the ZL has no problem running high 11's. There is an older guy in our club with an Auto ZL and he runs 11.9's on the stock GoodYear no traction OE tires. Another buddy of mine with mods is now in the 9.9's with all stock internals and heads. 11.558 is the best 1/4 time for a ZL1 bone stock.

The ZL1, for whatever reason, came very de-Tuned from GM. Hell, they threw a CAI on the Z/28 and headers from the factory but not the ZL. A CAI is good for 30-40 HP alone. With minor bolt ons its a low 11 high 10 car when a quality tune is added it is 700'ish HP with the ability to lay it down, corner very well and still make a great Grand Tourer daily driver. I Use mine for work and I drive it year round and race it on weekends.

When I bought my ZL last year I tried them all and picked, what was to me, the best all round car. I sold my drag car so I didn't want a one dimensional vehicle. Had the Mustang GT350 been around it would have been a much harder choice but I can tell you I have no complaints with my current ride.
Noone on Camaro5 has run an 11 on a manual car. If so they have not posted it. Im not claiming that noone ever has run an 11 on a ZL1 manual since not everyone will post on forums.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Not sure where you get your numbers from but the ZL has no problem running high 11's. There is an older guy in our club with an Auto ZL and he runs 11.9's on the stock GoodYear no traction OE tires.
All that money for the car and GM put bad tires on it? Not sure I'm buying it. I expect the stock tires are really close to the best you can get for high performance street tires. Sounds like an excuse to me.

The ZL1, for whatever reason, came very de-Tuned from GM. Hell, they threw a CAI on the Z/28 and headers from the factory but not the ZL. A CAI is good for 30-40 HP alone.
I'm sorry but this pegged my BS'ometer. I can't believe GM is that incompetent. On the newer Fords the aftermarket CAIs don't really give you anything.

Sponsored

Toddin Vancouver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZL1
Noone on Camaro5 has run an 11 on a manual car. If so they have not posted it. Im not claiming that noone ever has run an 11 on a ZL1 manual since not everyone will post on forums.
Fair enough didn't see where you specified manual. So far I'm the one with a ZL1 that I've met who did the manual version and not go Auto. I will do some drag racing this year but I'm getting old and frankly not as quick as I Use to be.,

All that money for the car and GM put bad tires on it? Not sure I'm buying it. I expect the stock tires are really close to the best you can get for high performance street tires. Sounds like an excuse to me.

I'm sorry but this pegged my BS'ometer. I can't believe GM is that incompetent. On the newer Fords the aftermarket CAIs don't really give you anything.
I'd like to say I'm wrong but GM gave up everything with these tires in order to hit a lap time, when the tires were Hot. Lots of dyno info to back it up and the LSA is serverly choked from the factory. The tires, GY F1 Supercar, are awesome once they get hot after a few laps. But I've spent plenty of AutoX days not able to do much more than idle because they just don't bite cold.

LOL at the 30-40hp from the cai....
While if you had asked me this over a year ago I would have laughed and called BS but its no joke. These cars are really choked when OE. Again, lots of dyno sheets and video to back it up.

http://www.coldairinductions.com/2012-13-6-2l-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-intake-system-textured-black-

I really didn't join this site to debate cars, but there are some straight up untrue comments/quasifacts so I thought owning a ZL1 I'd call it. I'm Really interested in following the progression of the GT350 & R version. I'm also as stated a car guy so maybe meet a few of the locals who are into racing and such. Not here to sling mud or debate. Key board warriors are a dime a dozen and the facts come out at the track with 99.99% of drivers not able to push these cars anywhere near their limit. So all the data in the world won't help you when you get you butt handed to you by a 200hp FRS on a tight road course or AutoX.

Before purchasing my ZL last year I drove the big three and took an honest look at them. My first car at 16 was BB Challenger and I've had a couple Mustangs, and grew up around them in my family, so i'm not bias. I just like speed not matter who makes it.

jaja6009

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fair enough didn't see where you specified manual. So far I'm the one with a ZL1 that I've met who did the manual version and not go Auto. I will do some drag racing this year but I'm getting old and frankly not as quick as I Use to be.,

I'd like to say I'm wrong but GM gave up everything with these tires in order to hit a lap time, when the tires were Hot. Lots of dyno info to back it up and the LSA is serverly choked from the factory. The tires, GY F1 Supercar, are awesome once they get hot after a few laps. But I've spent plenty of AutoX days not able to do much more than idle because they just don't bite cold.

While if you had asked me this over a year ago I would have laughed and called BS but its no joke. These cars are really choked when OE. Again, lots of dyno sheets and video to back it up.

http://www.coldairinductions.com/2012-13-6-2l-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-intake-system-textured-black-

I really didn't join this site to debate cars, but there are some straight up untrue comments/quasifacts so I thought owning a ZL1 I'd call it. I'm Really interested in following the progression of the GT350 & R version. I'm also as stated a car guy so maybe meet a few of the locals who are into racing and such. Not here to sling mud or debate. Key board warriors are a dime a dozen and the facts come out at the track with 99.99% of drivers not able to push these cars anywhere near their limit. So all the data in the world won't help you when you get you butt handed to you by a 200hp FRS on a tight road course or AutoX.

Before purchasing my ZL last year I drove the big three and took an honest look at them. My first car at 16 was BB Challenger and I've had a couple Mustangs, and grew up around them in my family, so i'm not bias. I just like speed not matter who makes it.
Yeah on my one post I left out manual for where I said noone has gotten into the 11's. When I use my phone to post I usually have bad typos.

And I agree with you on the ZL1 needing tires as any OEM tires are gonna suck for 1/4 mile. On my 05 supercharged GT the difference from OEM tires to slicks was over half a second.
I also can believe in a CAI doing 30hp. On blown engines a CAI and tune will pick up alot. GT500 picks up alot too with CAI and tune. Dont get my post tone wrong. I usually have to defend other cars on this forum as too many think since its not a Mustang it must suck.
Any car that can run 11's bone stock is cool with me.
Do you know if the ZL1 has good axles stock? Or is that something that must be upgraded when using sticky tires?

Toddin Vancouver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZL1
Yeah on my one post I left out manual for where I said noone has gotten into the 11's. When I use my phone to post I usually have bad typos.

And I agree with you on the ZL1 needing tires as any OEM tires are gonna suck for 1/4 mile. On my 05 supercharged GT the difference from OEM tires to slicks was over half a second.
I also can believe in a CAI doing 30hp. On blown engines a CAI and tune will pick up alot. GT500 picks up alot too with CAI and tune. Dont get my post tone wrong. I usually have to defend other cars on this forum as too many think since its not a Mustang it must suck.
Any car that can run 11's bone stock is cool with me.
Do you know if the ZL1 has good axles stock? Or is that something that must be upgraded when using sticky tires?
I really like them all and honestly if someone had told me years a go a stock Mustang GT with some minor bolt ons and good tires would run in the 11's I would have said you're nuts, but look where we are. On the ZL axles yes they are specific to the ZL, so much guys buy ZL parts for their cars ro bullet proof them. 30% of the car is specific to the ZL only but that extra HD diff, axles, driveline, nose changes came at the cost of weight, all 4,100lbs of it. The ZL is pretty much bullet proof and guys are running 1,200-1,500hp on stock drivelines without issue. Add IRS is really damn heavy as Ford found and making it able to withstand extreme abuse it costly.,but I have to say overall I just love. My car but i trade it in ever 3-4 years due to it being my DD for work. Hence my early following of the GT350.

Question; my ZL comes with track approved warranty so if it breaks while racing on a track GM covers my repairs under warranty. This is specific to the ZL only and I can't mod the car or I possibly lose the warranty. How is Ford with these situation?

Last edited:

snkmug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Orange
60k for a ZL1, or 35k plus a 8k whipple PP Mustang and destroy it in every way? Ill take that 15k and do something else with it.

Toddin Vancouver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZL1
60k for a ZL1, or 35k plus a 8k whipple PP Mustang and destroy it in every way? Ill take that 15k and do something else with it.
Sounds good. Please post a picture of your car I'd love to see it as I am also building another car and always interested in seeing how others are doing their builds and mods. I'm Always willing to learn something new.

Sponsored

Navyxrays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Toddin Vancouver -

I'm kinda like you and might be a rarity round these parts. I'm not diehard loyal to Ford, Chevy or Mopar. I think it's a helluva time to be a buyer of North American V8 power. As an ex-owner of a Camaro 2SS, I can honestly say I really liked that car. As the current owner of a 2015 Mustang GT, I can honestly say I love this car. I'd really like a big three car garage, and have them both, plus a 2015 Challenger SRT with ScatPack.

I welcome other car types and appreciate your civility. Rock on. Also, let me know when you get the GT350, because I think you'll probably like it over the ZL1. :ford:

jaja6009

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Im not discounting the Mustang is one of if not the best bang for the buck car. And you would need more than a Whipple to destroy it in every way. Axles, possibly driveshaft, and possibly handling mods, possibly clutch. And then there are warranty issues. Whipple is working on but does not yet offer a powertrain warranty. But its still a third party warranty so I will not pretend to know how easy it is to work with inthe event of engine or other powertrain failure. ZL1 gets you full factory warranty, and much better resale for the extra price of admission. I got pennies on the dollar on mods when I sold my fully modded 05 Mustang.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
I do like the fact that chevy puts a 0-60 mph ratings on their website for performance line ups including the camaro. My previous car was a 2012 black 2ss/rs ls3 camaro and the only thing that i missed about the car is HUD. I wish we had that option.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
My previous car was a 2012 black 2ss/rs ls3 camaro and the only thing that i missed about the car is HUD. I wish we had that option.
Aeroforce Interceptor gauge. Display continuously any two parameters you choose (or up to 8 and cycle through them), put the gauge anywhere you prefer. Even has an annunciator that can be set up as an upshift lamp.

Edited to add a picture. It's OK for a track car (even a street-driven track car) but somebody really ought to be able to make a pod that fits better and contains its own sun shade.

Norm

Last edited:

Toddin Vancouver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZL1
The HUD is something that when I purchased my car I thought I'd just turn it off. But, now that I've got it I really love this thing especially since the '14s and up are colour. It is integrated into all the systems so even when using the Navi it comes up on the HUD with turns and streets, distances, even radio stations and songs off you're iPod. In other modes it has the Tach, speedometer, G Force gauge.

I really like it when AutoX so I dont take my eyes off the course and I can still see what I want to see. I don't know of any reason why Ford can't add it to their cars as far as I know its older technology and once you've used it you'll quickly come to really appreciate it.
Sponsored

Last edited: