Sponsored

Poll: Borla Touring catback VS Ford Performance by Borla Touring catback ('15 GT)

Which exhaust should I get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GilmourD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS - Ruby Red Metallic
So, I've been chatting with @beefcake and he probably thinks I'm a giant pain in the butt. :blush: I very much appreciate all the time he's given me so far!

I'm not sure which way to go but I DEFINITELY will be making a purchase for an exhaust from him since what's on the car NEEDS TO GO! It's an MBRP Racing setup that was installed by Stevie Wonder with a welder fetish (who welds a clamp with the nuts facing the body to the pipe???).

I'm stuck between the Borla Touring and the Ford Performance by Borla Touring catbacks based on sound. A lot of other options (like the S-Type and beyond) sound too raspy/tinny/trebly to my ear (if that's my imagination, please tell me, cuz part of me thinks the S-Type would work). There are some other options that sound nice but are WAAAAAAY beyond what I can realistically spend.

Also, I'm trying to pick between black and polished chrome for the tips. The car is Magnetic and has black 5.0 badges on the fenders, a chrome pony on the front, and currently no GT badge on the back (I'm working on that as per my other thread).

Borla 140589 - Touring catback - Chrome tips: https://www.beefcakeracing.com/borla-140589/

Borla 140589BC - Touring catback - Black tips: https://www.beefcakeracing.com/borla-140589bc/

Ford Performance by Borla M-5200-M8TC - Touring catback - Chrome tips: https://www.beefcakeracing.com/m-5200-m8tc/

Ford Performance by Borla M-5200-M8TB - Touring catback - Black tips: https://www.beefcakeracing.com/m-5200-m8tb/

Big part of the problem: So, regardless of which option I go with I have to wait. The Borla with the black tips is the shortest wait while the Ford Performance options don't have an actual ETA. That's not @beefcake's fault, though. I spent many years in retail and you're always at the mercy of your vendors.

Photos of the car, in case it helps.
1650469587535.png

1650469630949.png

1650469640789.png

1650469604155.png
1650469615955.png

Thanks for reading my long-arse thread. šŸ¤Ŗ
Sponsored

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I had the same dilemma last year and went with the Borla Touring cat-back and could not be happier. Sounds PERFECT to me. I listened to every sound clip I could find and thought the Borla touring was just a bit deeper. I still noticed a hint of that ā€˜tinnyā€™ sound with the Ford Performance touring. I canā€™t stand that tinny sound at all. I hate the rasp of most exhaust system as well.

Regarding the tips, Iā€™m sure either would be fine. I get anxious to get parts, so Iā€™d probably go with what I could get my hands on.

jag7885

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2020 Subaru WRX STI
I'm certainly biased because I have the FP by Borla touring cat-back. I picked it over the Borla Touring because I felt the raspier exhaust note complimented the high revving nature of the Coyote V8. Can't go wrong with either one though.

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
Iā€™d say Borla Touring for the deep, no rasp if those are the choices and not the AWE touring. I want mine to sound like my ā€˜13 did with free flowing exhaust and GT500 axlebacks when I get around to it. That sound was perfect.

BabyDoc1012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Lighting XLT, ā€˜21 Expedition, ā€˜22 Mach 1
Iā€™m looking for an exhaust too. I havenā€™t heard the FP. I like the sound of the AWE touring. The borla sounds nice.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GilmourD

GilmourD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™d say Borla Touring for the deep, no rasp if those are the choices and not the AWE touring. I want mine to sound like my ā€˜13 did with free flowing exhaust and GT500 axlebacks when I get around to it. That sound was perfect.
I'm confused why you're saying not to go with the AWE Touring since the choice opposite the Borla was the Ford Performance by Borla. šŸ¤”

Iā€™m looking for an exhaust too. I havenā€™t heard the FP. I like the sound of the AWE touring. The borla sounds nice.
For reference, here's the Ford Performance Touring:
If this doesn't go right to 2:01... Go there. LOL

Here's the Borla Touring:

Also, for the record, I think I'm gonna go with the black tip Borla Touring. I already shot @beefcake a message. šŸ„°

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
I'm confused why you're saying not to go with the AWE Touring since the choice opposite the Borla was the Ford Performance by Borla. šŸ¤”
I wasnā€™t saying ā€œnotā€ as in "Do not getā€ the AWE. Just that if the choices were Borla/FP Borla and AWE wasnā€™t a front runner, Iā€™d do the Borla. AWE is #1 on my list for the deep/throaty and no rasp sound.

OP
OP
GilmourD

GilmourD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Borla 140589BC Touring catback with black tips ordered!!!

BIGG_RIBB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT Premium
How did it work out? Are you still happy with your decision a year later?

OP
OP
GilmourD

GilmourD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
How did it work out? Are you still happy with your decision a year later?
You know, I never saw this. This past year's been a bit nuts!

I was indeed happy with the exhaust, especially once it broke in. It sounded great and wasn't obnoxiously loud. Sadly, that car is no longer with us due to people not understanding that you don't just plow into the Mustang in front of you without touching your brakes.

Ironically, I'm now working on the installation of the '18-23 version of the FRPP Touring exhaust on my new-to-me '16 Cali Special, but hit a snag due to one of the previous owners hiring Stevie Wonder to do some welding... šŸ™„

Sponsored
OP
OP
GilmourD

GilmourD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I vote the AWE Touring.
The purchase was actually made almost two years ago with the very gracious aid of @beefcake, who definitely deserves more of my money.

Sadly, however, as I said above and have noted in my signature, my '15 GT has departed this world due to me actually driving like a normal human being, gradually slowing down due to somebody slowing down in front of me, and eventually coming to a stop to allow them to pull into a driveway but the guy that was way behind me didn't even slow down and then yelled at me that I wasn't paying attention.

ryan-reynolds-confused.gif

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
The purchase was actually made almost two years ago with the very gracious aid of @beefcake, who definitely deserves more of my money.

Sadly, however, as I said above and have noted in my signature, my '15 GT has departed this world due to me actually driving like a normal human being, gradually slowing down due to somebody slowing down in front of me, and eventually coming to a stop to allow them to pull into a driveway but the guy that was way behind me didn't even slow down and then yelled at me that I wasn't paying attention.
Appreciate that!
Sponsored