Sponsored

87 vs 93 Octane Mileage?

LittleJerrySeinfeld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EcoBoost Premium
Is there a difference in mileage between 87 octane and 93 octane? And if i have 87 octane in my tank do I have to run it empty before putting higher octane in it?
Sponsored

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Is there a difference in mileage between 87 octane and 93 octane? And if i have 87 octane in my tank do I have to run it empty before putting higher octane in it?
There will probably be some difference in mileage, but the greater difference will be in power. You don't have to run the tank dry to switch between the two on a stock tune.

OP
OP

LittleJerrySeinfeld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EcoBoost Premium
So the mileage would be better or worse with higher octane? Sorry if this is a dumb question, this is the first forced induction car I've owned.

Tcnarber

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium, Black Betty
Better, I got 2 MPG better on a trip to Canada in my F150. I would assume the Mustang 2.3 would be the same.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Why is that? More btu's? IIRC it just burns slower and allows more timing...

Sponsored

DBCooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
octane doesn't make it burn hotter, cooler, faster, slower, cleaner, dirtier. All it does is resist pre-detonation. Nothing more, nothing less. The only affect it will have on mileage would be that the car would have more potential for higher power, due to the computer being able to advance the timing. That usually means more fuel :)

wireless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White Ecoboost Premium
octane doesn't make it burn hotter, cooler, faster, slower, cleaner, dirtier. All it does is resist pre-detonation. Nothing more, nothing less. The only affect it will have on mileage would be that the car would have more potential for higher power, due to the computer being able to advance the timing. That usually means more fuel :)
well stated :)

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
More fuel would imply less mpg...not more.

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Very nice! We dyno tested our stock EB with both 87 and 93. The results are shown below.

obk787

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP Oxford White
Damn thats a big difference in power. 93 octane is definitely worth it. It keeps everything cleaner, obviously provides better power and it gets better gas mileage by burning efficiently compared to 87 if you can keep ur foot off the gas <good luck keeping ur foot off the gas>

Sponsored

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
Well Ford didn't lie when they said your horsepower would take a hit but the torque stays the same.

ELPYBOOST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eugene
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang EB Premium w/ PP and Navi
I'm guessing go with gas with no ethanol to get more milage. As what alot of people state.

DBCooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Very nice! We dyno tested our stock EB with both 87 and 93. The results are shown below.
Thanks Mishimoto. That's really interesting. So based on this, if you never drive your car over 5k, using 93 is wasted money.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
That is a good observation^

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Thanks Mishimoto. That's really interesting. So based on this, if you never drive your car over 5k, using 93 is wasted money.
Essentially, but you will certainly want 93 octane when you do put your foot into it. For everyday use, 87 octane will save you a bit at the pump and still provide reasonable performance. :cheers:
Sponsored