Sponsored

Is tire blooming (browning) a real thing?

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
My 4 month old Michelin tires about a month ago starting to turn brown, I called discount tire this morning and asked about it and they said no that doesn't happen, just wash your tires. After watching a bunch of youtube vids I beg to differ, what do you guys think. (below is a pic of my worst case tire)

PXL_20230910_132004667.jpg
Sponsored

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Definitely browning is a thing. Happens most often on newer tires as the mold chemicals outgas their way to the surface. It slows down a little as they age. A good quality tire cleaner and scrub them thoroughly with a good stiff tire brush will take care of that. Might have to wash multiple times, just keep scrubbing and rinsing til the foam is no longer brown when you scrub them. I always put a good quality tire dressing on after mine are clean to make them nice and black again :) Paging the local detail expert @DFB5.0 :)

OP
OP
tcman54

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info, I have a medium strength pressure washer and some good tire cleaner, will try one or the other tomorrow and see if I can get some good results.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info, I have a medium strength pressure washer and some good tire cleaner, will try one or the other tomorrow and see if I can get some good results.
Good luck. Any good All Purpose cleaner should do the trick, just may have to scrub and rinse multiple times :). I know I usually have to go over mine 3-4 times when I get new tires. The brush usually does the heavy lifting, and a pressure washer helps.

Sponsored

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Yikes that is pretty brown OP!
Definitely wash/scrub them like others said.
Once that is done, they should be better already but then you can apply tire foam/tire & trim cleaner for an even darker appearance if you are into that.
When in doubt, just color in the brown with a black marker. 🤣 🖊

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Usually a combination of tire shine agents and UV light.
Yep. When I change tires I put the takeoff set at my shop after cleaning. No browning after sitting 6 months.

It might also have to do with the paraffins reacting with the atmosphere since while they sit they don’t develop any browning. Paraffins are always working their way towards the outside of the tires. My tires are 4 years old and still brown.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Totally normal from any make/type of tire. Accelerated with tire shine dressings. Just washing won't usually get it all off so all purpose cleaner and scrub brush as mentioned earlier will do the trick but if you really want to take the nuclear option and not look back dedicated tire cleaners have always done it for me. https://adamspolishes.com/products/adams-wheel-tire-cleaner or anything of the like.

PhillyMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT, 2015 Dodge Durango RT
Normal. Clean tire and apply your choice of lower gloss dressing and it is good as new for 3-4 weeks. Saw the same with Pirelli's.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Forum member DBF5.0 did a writeup on tire cleaners/coatings and it had awesome information.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/whats-in-dfbs-cabinet.175925/

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he noted in his excellent, detailed testing that solvent-based cleaners had a tendency to turn tires brown over time, whereas water-based ones, not so much.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Forum member DBF5.0 did a writeup on tire cleaners/coatings and it had awesome information.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/whats-in-dfbs-cabinet.175925/

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he noted in his excellent, detailed testing that solvent-based cleaners had a tendency to turn tires brown over time, whereas water-based ones, not so much.
Yes, his write up is top notch. He is a true blessing to this forum, has taught me a lot in my quest to keep my Mustang as clean as possible :)

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Vert, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust, B&O
I've used it for years good stuff. I have since found better options (ie more expensive but more effective :) )..

Some really good options:
CarPro Retyre
Gyeon Tire Cleaner
Shine Supply Wise Guy
P&S Undressed
Been using it for +30 years, and I'm cheap lol. SOS pads were my go to before that.
Sponsored