Sponsored

2024 Ford Mustang configurator is up, your thoughts?

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Moneybags pencil-pushers in this thread are missing the point. The Mustang isn't simply priced too high - it is priced too high proportionally and demographically to its traditional target audience's income and borrowing ability.

This isn't your blue collar hero that could trounce the competition in a straight line at half the price anymore. It is turning into an upper middle class, retiree car like the Corvette. It is now placed in a price margin where far better made cars are available. The only saving grace? It is offered with a manual transmission.
While I don’t disagree with anything you said, everything just costs more. Hell, a Honda Accord starts at basically $30k and most minivans start at $40k. The Mustang (and every other muscle/pony car) is no longer an everyman (or woman) car, it’s a niche product and it’s being priced as such. It totally sucks but unfortunately that’s what it is and the sales figures reflect that. If the Mustang GT started at say $33k vs $40k, is Ford really going to see a huge jump in sales to build profit through volume vs lower volume and higher sales price? At this juncture I would think not (although I have no data to actually back that up).
Sponsored

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
‘05 GMC P/U, ‘17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Hi again - The car manufacturers are sometimes smarter than we give them credit for. Yes, on a cash basis these cars have been creeping out of the reach of the masses for many years now and the car companies knew they had to address this problem. Shazam! The lease. They foresaw this higher price conundrum and the lease, which on an up-front basis “appears” to make the cars more affordable, came to the rescue. That’s a simplified explanation and other efforts such as cheaper foreign labor have played a role as well
 Bruce

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Hi again - The car manufacturers are sometimes smarter than we give them credit for. Yes, on a cash basis these cars have been creeping out of the reach of the masses for many years now and the car companies knew they had to address this problem. Shazam! The lease. They foresaw this higher price conundrum and the lease, which on an up-front basis appears to make the cars “appear”more affordable, came to the rescue. That’s a simplified explanation and other efforts such as cheaper foreign labor have played a role as well
 Bruce
Good point Bruce. But I'm sure you've noticed that the only Mustang to get leasing is the Ecoboost. Like you said Ford is not stupid.

noGreta!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus IS350 F Sport
...it's almost like there was a radical change in strategy around 2008.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I figure everyone who is blaming the car manufacturers for raising prices should be blaming their bosses for not keeping up with wage increases.

Most Americans are getting shafted on pay and things that get marginal increases every year eventually become out of reach for many, like Mustangs. Ford is pricing them fairly compared to inflation for the most part, everything else is out of whack though.

I am so happy with my '20 GT picked up in Nov. '19 that as long as rust doesn't get to it I can't see a reason to upgrade any time soon. Will probably get the last of the V8's whenever that time comes if it does, or wait for a refresh of the S650.

Never thought I'd be so happy with a car for so long, but I feel like I've barely tapped what we can do with the GT.

Sponsored

noGreta!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus IS350 F Sport
I figure everyone who is blaming the car manufacturers for raising prices should be blaming their bosses for not keeping up with wage increases.
Capture.JPG

Of course Ford can simply outsource ... let's say their manual gearboxes to China or Mexico instead...wait a minute...

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang

Most Americans are getting shafted on pay and things that get marginal increases every year eventually become out of reach for many, like Mustangs. Ford is pricing them fairly compared to inflation for the most part, everything else is out of whack though.

I am so happy with my '20 GT picked up in Nov. '19 that as long as rust doesn't get to it I can't see a reason to upgrade any time soon. Will probably get the last of the V8's whenever that time comes if it does, or wait for a refresh of the S650.

Never thought I'd be so happy with a car for so long, but I feel like I've barely tapped what we can do with the GT.
most americans have shitty middle management jobs that are useless.

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
‘05 GMC P/U, ‘17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Good point Bruce. But I'm sure you've noticed that the only Mustang to get leasing is the Ecoboost. Like you said Ford is not stupid.
I’ve never leased a car so I didn’t realize that. I’m 81 and shouldn’t need a car before I’m close to 90. If I live that long, short term leasing at that point may be the smart thing to do - assuming the family hasn’t taken my driving privileges away. It will be a cold day in hell before I’d voluntarily give that privilege up, but we’ll see
 Bruce

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
But, but, but, it's a Tremec! :like:
10-15K differential buys a LOT of repairs ... if they are ever needed. With a Raceeng weighted shift knob, it shifts nice and smooth

I had a '86 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z (with an A525 tranny) that had the tranny in every 2-3 years for rebuild or worn clutches. Thank God it had a mandatory 7/70K warranty (test car) so all I paid was $100/ea. Got rid of it once it was out of warranty. THAT is a bad tranny.

Other than gearing, I do not see what is so great about a Tremec. Could have gotten a Shelby for what Dark Horse or Mach 1 is asking and THAT is a better car.

BLackPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack 2
74,000 for a Dark Horse? Ummmm, I paid 46,500 for my 2020 401a PP2 loaded mustang two years 5 months ago, sticker was 55,000 right before everything went UP in prices. Welp. Looks like I will be ordering the MGW shifter after all. LOL

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
74,000 for a Dark Horse? Ummmm, I paid 46,500 for my 2020 401a PP2 loaded mustang two years 5 months ago, sticker was 55,000 right before everything went UP in prices. Welp. Looks like I will be ordering the MGW shifter after all. LOL
Unless you order a fully,, fully loaded DH you are not going to get near $70k. You can get a base DH with Tremec, MagnaRide, & Active Exhaust for $61k and a premium car with the 700A group for $63k. Either of these cars are going to be superior to any stock GT, PP1 or PP2. All of you PP2 owners have a great car that was truly a value but it’s 2024 and the DH will rule.

IMG_2445.jpeg
IMG_2444.jpeg

blitzburgh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C
Unless you order a fully,, fully loaded DH you are not going to get near $70k. You can get a base DH with Tremec, MagnaRide, & Active Exhaust for $61k and a premium car with the 700A group for $63k. Either of these cars are going to be superior to any stock GT, PP1 or PP2. All of you PP2 owners have a great car that was truly a value but it’s 2024 and the DH will rule.

IMG_2445.jpeg
IMG_2444.jpeg
ADM 25,000

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
ADM 25,000
No, there are a number of folks who are getting MSRP deals. If you’re not willing to do your diligence then ADM could be a factor. And $25k is pure insanity. But for those who have the means and are willing to pay any amount of ADM well that is none of my business.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
No, there are a number of folks who are getting MSRP deals. If you’re not willing to do your diligence then ADM could be a factor. And $25k is pure insanity. But for those who have the means and are willing to pay any amount of ADM well that is none of my business.
I’m honestly surprised at how many MSRP deals I’ve seen over on 7G for the DH, more than I expected. I wonder if the demand isn’t there like it was for the Shelby’s and the Mach 1 (honest question, not being a S650 basher).

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if the demand isn’t there like it was for the Shelby’s and the Mach 1
probably. Shelby demand morphed into Mach1 and now everyone who wants a special edition has already long since bought one. The pool is exhausted. But it's market dependent. Where people have stupid money, dealers still think they can get ADM and are being shameless about it.
Sponsored