Sponsored

I spun a bearing on new motor. I need help with how to proceed with a new short block?

OP
OP
Unas2k5

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
How much power are both of these pistons rated at ?
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Pistons are not rated by power, at least I have never seen that. Both will work. I'd ask brenspeed if you are concerned about longevity. Be honest about how you will drive it. Some guys let them warm up then take off some start them and go.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
How much power are both of these pistons rated at ?
On a proper build and tune with good fuelā€¦ā€¦..1000whp+ on 4032ā€™s and 1500+ On 2618ā€™s.

However, both have gone much higher.

OP
OP
Unas2k5

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
Pistons are not rated by power, at least I have never seen that. Both will work. I'd ask brenspeed if you are concerned about longevity. Be honest about how you will drive it. Some guys let them warm up then take off some start them and go.
Ok I will just not sure if theyā€™ll let me make the change. How much of a warm up ? I warm my car up regularly. I drive it when the rpmā€™s settle and longer than that in the winter. Again, sorry guys Iā€™m only asking things that may seem dumb only because I really donā€™t know much at all about these parts

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Ok I will just not sure if theyā€™ll let me make the change. How much of a warm up ? I warm my car up regularly. I drive it when the rpmā€™s settle and longer than that in the winter. Again, sorry guys Iā€™m only asking things that may seem dumb only because I really donā€™t know much at all about these parts
Whichever short block you purchase, trust what they choose to put in it for pistons. Most customers donā€™t even ask anyway. Both are FAR better than stock castings by far.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Unas2k5

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
On a proper build and tune with good fuelā€¦ā€¦..1000whp+ on 4032ā€™s and 1500+ On 2618ā€™s.

Thatā€™s awesome. What part of the built motor do you think is the weakest ? I was told that the boss springs are weak & im going to have them swap those if they allow it. Other than the springs what would grenade next ?

OP
OP
Unas2k5

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
Whichever short block you purchase, trust what they choose to put in it for pistons. Most customers donā€™t even ask anyway. Both are FAR better than stock castings by far.
Yeah I definitely wouldnā€™t have known at all lol until I hear the noise of it getting loose in the cylinder lol šŸ˜‚ I wouldnā€™t mind a diesel sound I love the diesel sound.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Whichever short block you purchase, trust what they choose to put in it for pistons.
This. Just make sure they know what it will be used for, then relax and enjoy it.

OP
OP
Unas2k5

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
This. Just make sure they know what it will be used for, then relax and enjoy it.
Thank you. I was completely fine until I was told that two parts of my build was an issue lol. I havenā€™t heard back from the E85 group šŸ˜ƒ šŸ¤£

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Thatā€™s awesome. What part of the built motor do you think is the weakest ? I was told that the boss springs are weak & im going to have them swap those if they allow it. Other than the springs what would grenade next ?
Nothing will be weak.

Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Yeah I definitely wouldnā€™t have known at all lol until I hear the noise of it getting loose in the cylinder lol šŸ˜‚ I wouldnā€™t mind a diesel sound I love the diesel sound.
Like I said, generally you wonā€™t hear it.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The "weakest" part of a typical coyote build are the ring gaps. There's a conflict of interests between gap width and compression vs room for thermal expansion.

It's crucial to discuss with your builder how you'll use the car. A single warmup and drag hit on a dedicated strip car is different than a half mile car or a car that will see full sauce back to back to back.

A bunch of failures are the rings expanding and binding and ring land failures and a cascade of all sorts of other carnage.

The other failure point is usually rods when detonation and preignition occurr. Aftermarket pistons are pretty stout, bit the forces involved at high rpm when things are pushing and pulling out of sync are brutal on the rods. Once a rod bends again it starts a host of follow on issues.

The most crucial part of the equation is the tune and safety in the timing. Even a cast motor can handle a boatload of power and torque under ideal conditions. When things get out of sync the forces involved quickly get out of hand and so the question should be framed more for how much can an assembly handle under ideal conditions and how much abuse can it handle as a margin of safety of strength in reserve

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Again, we going back 40 years?

Hmmm, I never had a piston manufacturer be "quite clear" that 4032 pistons will have longer piston life than 2618's. Just who was the maker that made that claim? And what was their definition of a longer life?

I also never knew anyone who cursed their 2618's for wearing out too fast, and then switched to 4032's.

Iā€™ve ran 2618ā€™s in 4-5 40+K mile builds in the last 28 years. None of them sounded like diesels or only ā€œlastedā€ 20K miles. My current 2618ā€™s have ALMOST zero slap on cold start. Most people donā€™t hear itā€¦. .0045ā€ PTW.
you can build your diesel however you want. not my job to hold your hand. everyone here is old enough to decide for themself. the shortblock is not built for its element. listen or don't listen don't care

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt

on a proper tune the stock pistons can handle 1000+

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium