I traded in my 2-seater Hybrid for a V8

VeryTraumatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Odyssey, 2011 Toyota Corolla
Previously, I had only owned my hybrid and family sedans, but it was now time to upgrade to my dream pony car.

The Mustang is a perfect fit, because the Horse is my Chinese Astrological sign.

mmexport1652978318457.jpg
mmexport1652978581839.jpg

I recorded what I hope is a fair and comprehensive review. This is my contribution to the community. I don't expect anyone on this forum to watch it all the way through; it's more for those who are on the fence about buying a new car at inflated 2022 prices.

The parabolic price of gas doesn't hurt nearly as much when you telework 2-3 days each week.

Besides 35 and 40 ft buses, the most powerful vehicle I've operated extensively is a Nissan Maxima that does 0-60 in 5.0

This V8 is next-level, and I'm glad to be able to experience it before ESG and industry trends make enthusiast-grade ICE all but inaccessible.

My top 5 favorite things about this V8 Mustang:

1. The driving experience: handling is responsive and low-to-mid 4s 0-60 never gets old
2. The Recaro seats: despite losing power seat adjustment and memory seats, you can't beat the "second kind of cool" that comes with having Recaro racing seats
3. THIS shade of red: it's a modest, conservative red that's still eye-catching
4. Active performance exhaust: highway driving can be plenty relaxing for passengers with the exhaust set to "quiet"
5. The parking lot conversations: When you're running errands, complete strangers who notice your car strike up conversations with you about cars. Coming from other hobbies (guns, PC building, etc.), there is often an air of elitism and snobbishness at extremes. I haven't seen it so far in the car world.

My top 5 things I wish could be better:

1. The automatic transmission doesn't seem automatic enough: especially in the 60-120 range, even as someone new to enthusiast driving, I feel as though I can outshift the car at some levels
2. Dated infotainment: suboptimal screen placement needs you to take your eyes off the road, and there's not even wireless Android Auto/Apple Carplay
3. 401A should be standard on premium: otherwise, the feature set doesn't seem premium enough
4. Can't set your default driving, steering and exhaust modes: you have to select for them each time if you don't want to drive in normal. (if there's a workaround, please let me know!)
5. The mirrors are all-but unusable without the blind-spot monitor. I still turn to look frequently.

I hope to be more active on these boards and contribute more of my experiences!

Thanks for reading!

20220429_122141.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
ESG? I give them the one finger salute.

baazooka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6MT
Congrats! and just in time for a spike in gas prices. The visibility, while better than camaro/challenger, is not the best

BabyDoc1012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Lighting XLT, ‘21 Expedition, ‘22 Mach 1
Welcome! Checking your steering mode, in my ‘19 it stays set to sport mode. It’s the only one that does. Which is funny to me, because with Ford if your heated/cooled seats are on they turn on the next time you start the car. Your car looks great!

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I am also a Horse in Chinese astrology. Fire horse to be exact. 4.X 0-60 were fun, but the 2.X 0-60 times of a supercharged 5.0 rock. I couldn't leave mine stock.

OP
OP
VeryTraumatic

VeryTraumatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
I am also a Horse in Chinese astrology. Fire horse to be exact. 4.X 0-60 were fun, but the 2.X 0-60 times of a supercharged 5.0 rock. I couldn't leave mine stock.
I'm already in the market for some aftermarket wheels and tires to replace the boring stock 18x8.

I still want to stay at 18s, but I agree with most reviewers that S550s need help with traction.

I like these in bronze:

https://www.apexraceparts.com/store/wheels/ec-7-wheels/18x9-5-et35-apex-ec-7-mustang-wheel.html

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
The only negative that surprises me is #1. The A10 shifts fast and it's well documented that manual transmission models are slower no matter the driver. Maybe you need to have the transmission checked out or need a reality check on how fast you can shift. :)

OP
OP
VeryTraumatic

VeryTraumatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
The only negative that surprises me is #1. The A10 shifts fast and it's well documented that manual transmission models are slower no matter the driver. Maybe you need to have the transmission checked out or need a reality check on how fast you can shift. :)
More likely the latter. 🤪

But it does seem to get "stuck" and I have to use a paddle when accelerating hard up extreme hill gradients, or maybe I'm just not patient enough. But it's really on me to learn more and have reasonable expectations.

Sponsored

_zOmbIE_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands, 22 GT Prem PP
My top 5 things I wish could be better:

2. Dated infotainment: suboptimal screen placement needs you to take your eyes off the road, and there's not even wireless Android Auto/Apple Carplay
You can add wireless android auto easily enough, using a Motorola MA1 adapter or AAWireless (which is the route I went, it arrived yesterday and works perfectly so far)

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
More likely the latter. 🤪

But it does seem to get "stuck" and I have to use a paddle when accelerating hard up extreme hill gradients, or maybe I'm just not patient enough. But it's really on me to learn more and have reasonable expectations.
If you are accelerating hard in sport or track mode, the transmission will upshift near the redline because this engine makes its peak power at high rpm. If you're referring to being slow to downshift, then make sure you're in sport or track mode because normal mode is much less responsive.

Lunchabull

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Roush 2650
You should be able to set a "my mode" option and change it to that and it should change your steering, mode and exhaust when you select it. I currently have mine to Sport, Sport and Track Exhaust

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
At about 10% throttle mine shifts hard enough to chirp second. That's just more than idle. I did it this morning in front of a cop. He could see I wasn't on it though.
Sponsored