Sponsored

Hood stripe bubbles

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
And bad for the foam cannon market also.... does that apply for all non-painted strips?
Hasn’t done anything to degrade my stripes. I think OP ended up with some bad adhesive or a surface that wasn’t clean when it was originally applied. I don’t go blasting it on the edge at point blank range with max psi but a rinse of the car and then a foam cannon, stripes look brand new with no bubbles
Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
While on the topic of care and feeding of stripes or decals, I was recently researching a detailer's offerings. Several companies sell soaps which have "image" or "visual" enhancers which can make surfaces more glossy.

The company I bought from suggested using their matte wash, for those types of surfaces, to ensure I would not change the appearance of those on the M1. The soap is not unique; it just doesn't have the enhancers added.

I also learned there are sealers for both "regular" paints and matte decals or wraps, so I bought one bottle for the body of the car and a smaller one, matte, for the stripes.

Paraphrasing Jay Leno, "I don't care for pressure washers; they tend to force water into areas of the car water does't normally go." I do understand people use pressure washers (and car washes) all the time without ill effect.

Last edited:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Hasn’t done anything to degrade my stripes. I think OP ended up with some bad adhesive or a surface that wasn’t clean when it was originally applied. I don’t go blasting it on the edge at point blank range with max psi but a rinse of the car and then a foam cannon, stripes look brand new with no bubbles
Actually, I've never understood the logic used for washing a car using a pressure washer in the first place. This stripe deal is just another reason to avoid such a thing.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
It probably depends on how dirty the car is. I found out that for washing away mild dirt like mostly dust or few splashed bugs, I am fine with two bucket method and microfiber washing mitt. And not even using too much water, it makes it easier and faster to dry with heavy drying towel.

Of course there is something advanced about using tech like pressure washer, foam cannon and air blower, but I kinda like the hand work more. Even more so on PPF where pressure washer is best avoided as well.

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Actually, I've never understood the logic used for washing a car using a pressure washer in the first place. This stripe deal is just another reason to avoid such a thing.
the best detailers i follow on youtube all use them. as long as you don't have an underlying problem and youre careful whats the issue?
they are much more effective at removing crap from the surface than a traditional hose which means less chance of inducing scratches during the wash process.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
the best detailers i follow on youtube all use them. as long as you don't have an underlying problem and youre careful whats the issue?
they are much more effective at removing crap from the surface than a traditional hose which means less chance of inducing scratches during the wash process.
The key is also not using a crazy high PSI pressure washer and not blasting the edges of PPF or decals at a very close range so there is no damage. I've been waiting 3 months on the BLO-DRY I ordered to come in. My PPF installer washes all his cars with a pressure washer and BLO-DRY tool.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I think the benefits of a jet wash far out-way the problems they ‘could’ cause if used incorrectly or without thought.

As with most things, common sense goes a long way in determining what tasks can (and can’t) be safely performed with a jet wash.

Can you safely jet wash window seals ? Absolutely.

Can you force water past a window seal and wet the interior with a jet wash ? Absolutely - and the same group of people who do that will most likely complain about Fords crap window seals.

Fords manual has to be written to accommodate the later group of people ...

WD :like:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
LMAO ^^^^^^^^

Thanks that's really some funny stuff.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The company I bought from suggested using their matte wash, for those types of surfaces, to ensure I would not change the appearance of those on the M1. The soap is not unique; it just doesn't have the enhancers added.

I also learned there are sealers for both "regular" paints and matte decals or wraps, so I bought one bottle for the body of the car and a smaller one, matte, for the stripes.
Just how does someone wash/seal the stripes without getting the product on the shiny parts and vice versa?

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Just how does someone wash/seal the stripes without getting the product on the shiny parts and vice versa?
I've read of three categories of soaps thus far. If you intend to strip of any waxes or residue, like at the start of the season, there are products for that. If you have a gloss finish with no stripes or decals, there are soaps which compliment, adding gloss, enhancing shine. For matte wraps or surfaces, there are soaps which do not have "image" or "vision" enhancers; this is the type of soap I'll be using. Soaps designed for matte surfaces will not dull an existing gloss finish. Soaps for matte can clean all types of surfaces without changing their existing appearances.

Regarding sealers, most come in a bottle as a liquid, as opposed to a spray. To apply, I'll simply mask the edge of the M1 stripes and apply the sealant as instructed to the painted areas. Once done, I mask the edge of the paint, where it meets the stripe/decal and apply the matte sealant to those areas.

Waxing will be done as one normally would, using a liquid versus a spray, keeping it off the decals or stripes, masking if I want to be really careful.

I expect the sealer to be applied once a year, maybe twice. Washing can be done as often as I like. Waxing can be done as needed.

I think almost all companies sell quick detailers, sprays which can be applied and wiped off. Waxes, silicones or ceramics. I don't intend to use a spray, but if I did, I'd simply shoot it onto a microfiber towel and then apply it to the surface.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Perhaps when you get over your fear of pressurized water you can explain the joke to the rest of the class…….

Perhaps your answer can be found on YouTube, I read all the experts hang there.
Sponsored