Theoneriggs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Vehicle(s)
2018 Daytona 392, 2022 Ram Rebel, 2022 Mach 1
Hello all,

I did a quick search and didn’t see anything existing. Anyone else experience bubbles in their front hood stripe from water getting underneath it.
Washed the car earlier today and was just looking at it now. I had about a 50 cent size bubble in it. Worked it to the side and splat, water popped out. Now I’m stuck with micro bubbles in that entire area. Definitely worried about how long before the strip starts to come off/warp etc. :(
Sponsored

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
That is not a normal thing. The water should go out from underneath the decal, not come in.

There are wet application decals and dry application decals. Wet application decals dissipate minor pockets of water trapped underneath, albeit slowly. When the water is dissipated, the decal bond to the surface where the small pocket was. Of course as stated earlier, I'm not sure if you have the wet or dry application decal. Anyway, it sounds like you don't have adhesive bonding in the concerning location.

I see you have a 2022 Mach 1, so it should be under the bumper to bumper warranty period, if you haven't driven it over 36k miles that is. :cool:

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
How long have you owned the car / do you know it’s history / has the hood stripe been replaced at some point etc ?

It doesn’t sound like a factory installed defect (but I wouldn’t rule anything out), maybe it’s a dealer installed defect if there was a problem with the original stripe ?

Either way, if the car is new enough for them not to point the finger at you - take it back for sure :like:

Hope you get it sorted :like:

WD :like:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Yes, document everything as best you can.

How old is the car?

Are you using a pressure washer? Hand Wash? Car Wash?

If using a pressure washer or a car wash, how soon after taking receipt of the car and how often?

Consider placing the car in the driveway and let the warmth of the Sun help dry it out, earlier in the day as the temps are just coming up. Like a slow rise, then take inside before it gets roasting.

I think it' best not to physically manipulate the area further (I know, I'd want to touch it to).

Can you see if the decal has been nicked or lifted on an edge in some way?

Last edited:

Sponsored

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
I could imagine how the pressure wash could loosen the vinyl edge, but getting the water under the vinyl and form a bubble is really a mystery to me. The vinyl is quite thick and sturdy. Is it an FJG decal or non-FJG?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Also not understanding how a factory applied decal would be allowing water to get under it from a normal car wash perspective...

I've also owned vehicles with factory applied graphics and never had one lift or allow water under it from a normal hand wash... using a hose... even if directly hitting the decal with full hose pressure.

Were you hitting the decal on an angle? Were you using a pressure washer (or a hose nozzle that has a pressure wash stream)?

Any pics?

Last edited:

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
Sounds like a defect, get it documented by Ford under warranty. Take time/date stamped photos.

Not blaming you here, but I think its prudent to be extra cautions with the car wash spray nozzles and chemicals on the decal edges.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
It's in the manual to hand wash Mach1. No pressure washers or automatic washes if IIRC.

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
It's in the manual to hand wash Mach1. No pressure washers or automatic washes if IIRC.
correct; page 291 of manual

1651511801755.png

Sponsored
OP
OP
Theoneriggs

Theoneriggs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Vehicle(s)
2018 Daytona 392, 2022 Ram Rebel, 2022 Mach 1
100% was using a pressure washer. Sounds like it’s my own darn fault :(

They worked themselves down for the most part (the small bubbles) only a few left. I’ll stick with hand washing only on the go forward.
Thanks all!

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
I wonder, how is Ford proposing to clean the front coolers fins without removing the front bumper or using a pressure washer. They do not seem to be accessible through the front grilles.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
100% was using a pressure washer. Sounds like it’s my own darn fault :(

They worked themselves down for the most part (the small bubbles) only a few left. I’ll stick with hand washing only on the go forward.
Thanks all!
That’ll do it….

You can also try wetting the surface again and pressing out the bubbles using a microfiber with a squeegee edge wrapped within the microfiber.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
That is the most asinine thing I have ever heard. That really is a joke.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
And bad for the foam cannon market also.... does that apply for all non-painted strips?
Sponsored