Mustang Gt exahust/headers

Stretch24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt pp1
I have a 17 gt pp1 and i have a 3 inch cat-back exahuast and i want to get headers. The only problem is I live in california. I want long tubes but i know they are illegal but can you still pass SMOG with catted longtubes?
Sponsored

jr16

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2012 CTS-V
I've seen cars both pass and fail SMOG testing with similar catted header systems. Unfortunately, it's hard to get the information needed to ensure the the cats are performing well enough to pass without going through a test. I could probably guarantee any "high flow" cat would not pass, but again, seen some fail and some pass with almost identical systems. I'm sure tuning and fuel has a big piece to do with it as well.

OP
OP
Stretch24

Stretch24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt pp1
I've seen cars both pass and fail SMOG testing with similar catted header systems. Unfortunately, it's hard to get the information needed to ensure the the cats are performing well enough to pass without going through a test. I could probably guarantee any "high flow" cat would not pass, but again, seen some fail and some pass with almost identical systems. I'm sure tuning and fuel has a big piece to do with it as well.
okay thanks for the input, i do want to get my car tuned when i get headers, but ill look into it more before i decide to go that route

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
All long tube headers are illegal in California so if the smog technician does his job you fail every time. Any aftermarket tune and you fail. Unless it is for a carb legal supercharger kit

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
I have a 17 gt pp1 and i have a 3 inch cat-back exahuast and i want to get headers. The only problem is I live in california. I want long tubes but i know they are illegal but can you still pass SMOG with catted longtubes?
Goodluck passing smog in California. Emissions are so strict the banned the Camaro! you would need to retain your catalytic converters and manifolds to pass emissions. The only thing you could modify is your catback unfortunately.

Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
But there is a way to not have to smog test your car in California

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Best way I know of
i never knew about that when i lived in CA but its definitely worth a try. the only thing that would worry me is driving in a smog county and getting popped by chp or someone else that doesn't care what county youre registered in.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
i never knew about that when i lived in CA but its definitely worth a try. the only thing that would worry me is driving in a smog county and getting popped by chp or someone else that doesn't care what county youre registered in.
You have to keep your car quiet. LT and exhaust don’t have to be super loud. You are the first person that know that California has no smog county’s

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
You have to keep your car quiet. LT and exhaust don’t have to be super loud. You are the first person that know that California has no smog county’s
i'd like to take credit for being brilliant but the truth is i used to live there :wink:
Sponsored