Sponsored

Is my HP spoiler coming off?

doritoking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 mach 1 with handling package
Noticed today that there’s a gap on the passenger side of the spoiler where it meets the trunk lid. Can’t see it in the picture but i can see something black in the gap, not sure id its a screw or a pebble. Is this just typical ford fitment or is the spoiler coming loose?

passenger side (gap)
46D572D7-09EA-41E1-A325-AC846B32FF87.jpeg

23A6DB0C-1380-43E5-A5F1-65BBB2D64FE0.jpeg
Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
I think that’s normal unfortunately. I’ve seen comments about this in the gt500 sub forum.

OP
OP
doritoking

doritoking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think that’s normal unfortunately. I’ve seen comments about this in the gt500 sub forum.
Are these spoilers screwed in or using adhesive? Is the black thing i’m seeing maybe threads of a screw? I’ll try to see if i can capture it in pics after work.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
Are these spoilers screwed in or using adhesive? Is the black thing i’m seeing maybe threads of a screw? I’ll try to see if i can capture it in pics after work.
screwed. with how much downforce they provide, adhesive would never work.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m curious as to the black thing you’re talking about. I can’t see it on my phone in your pictures. It should be held on by fasteners and adhesive, the double sided automotive tape I’m sure. I think due to loose tolerances and the materials being used there is unfortunately some wattage on the bottom of the spoiler that allows it to lift like that. If you were inclined it might be a project where you could remove it, reinstall with new tape and make sure the fasteners were as tight as they should be. Not sure that would guarantee any better of a figment though

Sponsored

OP
OP
doritoking

doritoking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m curious as to the black thing you’re talking about. I can’t see it on my phone in your pictures. It should be held on by fasteners and adhesive, the double sided automotive tape I’m sure. I think due to loose tolerances and the materials being used there is unfortunately some wattage on the bottom of the spoiler that allows it to lift like that. If you were inclined it might be a project where you could remove it, reinstall with new tape and make sure the fasteners were as tight as they should be. Not sure that would guarantee any better of a figment though
yea the black thing in the gap isn't in the pictures I posted. It's further inside the gap so I'll have to try to snake my phone in under the spoiler to see if i can capture it in a pic.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I get home tonight I’ll take some pictures from the same angle as yours to compare. Maybe that will help get to the bottom of this. I think my spoiler might be the same as yours

sdsteele2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer XLT
The spoiler is bolted and glued down with 3M trim tape. There is also some foam gasket material around where the studs pass thru the trunk skin.

What I see in the picture looks like the adhesive tape to me. Find a YouTube on removing the spoiler and you will see all the parts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
doritoking

doritoking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yea the black thing in the gap isn't in the pictures I posted. It's further inside the gap so I'll have to try to snake my phone in under the spoiler to see if i can capture it in a pic.
here’s a picture where the “black thing” is visible
45698132-9A41-45ED-8A64-68D966F3D4C0.jpeg

gfitzge2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mach 1 M1545
I installed that wing on my non HP. As already stated, the wing has some bolts and some 3M tape. I am sure that spot is where one of the studs pass through. Open the trunk and look for a rubber plug that lines up with it. There is a nut accessible through that hole. 10 MM socket with an extension will fit, if I remember correctly. The two in the center are under that pad that is in the center.

Edit:
I had a few minutes so I did a quick you tube search. This is the first how to spoiler vid I looked at.

I almost had a stroke when he showed a screw driver pushed between the spoiler and the paint. No endorsement from me on that method.:crackup:. The good news is that you can see how the wing is attached. Maybe the nut is a little loose. if you watch the vid be careful racinjason's enthusiasm is a bit overwhelming.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
doritoking

doritoking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I installed that wing on my non HP. As already stated, the wing has some bolts and some 3M tape. I am sure that spot is where one of the studs pass through. Open the trunk and look for a rubber plug that lines up with it. There is a nut accessible through that hole. 10 MM socket with an extension will fit, if I remember correctly. The two in the center are under that pad that is in the center.
I'll try and see if that bolt will tighten after the next time I wash the car

OP
OP
doritoking

doritoking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was watching the LMR video on how to install the spoiler on a GT, and right after the person installs it I see the same gap I have on my passenger side on both sides in their video.

Here's a screenshot of their driver's side with the gap (at around 6:39 in the video):

1634859892918.png

sdsteele2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer XLT
There are also some alignment pins and 2 small plastic clips on either end. Check out this link form LMR for the PP spoiler. You can see all the pieces here

OP
OP
doritoking

doritoking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)