Sponsored

Prices are on the rise......

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I believe by 2000 ford had given up on making you have a race license. I bought mine from the original owner and im pretty sure he didnt.

I was at the Ford nationals last weekend and there was a race red GT350R next to a 2000R and that was the first time I ever saw them next to each other. The 350R makes the 2000R look dated.
You are correct as the 2000 Cobra R's were not treated in the same manner as was the case for the launch of the original 107 Cobra R's from 1993.

Back in 2000 I made many trips to Bobby Jones Ford in Augusta, Georgia as they had a Cobra R sitting on their showroom floor for quite some time with an asking price of $75,000.

For many weeks we courted each other and went back and forth on pricing but at the end of the day they would not move on this vehicle therefore I moved on and had Sean Hyland Motorsports build me a highly modified 2001 Mustang GT.

As far as requiring a competition license to purchase the vehicle at Bobby Jones Ford that did not come into play and in fact a friend of mine who purchased his 2000 Cobra R new in Florida and still has it to this day has never come close to having a competition license.
Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
The 5.0L "Road Runner" V-8 is the modern version of Ford's HiPo 302. It can be found in the 2012 and 2013 model year Boss 302 Mustang, where 10 lb-ft of torque is compromised for marginally greater horsepower and an outlandish 7,400 rpm redline. A forged steel crankshaft, forged aluminum pistons, and CNC ported cylinder heads are amongst the engine's improvements over Ford's standard 5.0L V-8. It's relatively high compression ratio also contributes to its enhanced performance characteristics. The high revving Boss 302 was rated at 444 horsepower at 7,400 rpm and 380 lb-ft of torque at 4,500 rpm.

The two engines are NOT the same but only similar. IE, the one in the GT (Coyote) and the one in the boss (Road Runner) are TWO different animals based of the same 302 base engine platform.
Totally agreed other than the redline for the "Road Runner" engine was actually 7,500 RPM and we all know that the horsepower rating for the Boss cars was more than the advertised 444 HP.

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
I believe by 2000 ford had given up on making you have a race license. I bought mine from the original owner and im pretty sure he didnt.

I was at the Ford nationals last weekend and there was a race red GT350R next to a 2000R and that was the first time I ever saw them next to each other. The 350R makes the 2000R look dated.
cool. Yah I originally, for a brief second thought about buying a 2000 R instead of a 350R, but it is super dated.I still have two 99s. My buddy who bought oneis a huge SN95 fan so it worked great for him as it’s the ultimate iteration of that era.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe

Yes, in 93 they def wanted a racing license. 2000, not so much.

And FWIW, the 2000 R also looks dated next to an ecoboost, so.. :)

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
To echo the alternate perspective, I guess I'm not quite sure of the value of this thread other than to make people feel good. Given the variables leading to this used car price inflation lately, there is nothing intrinsic to these automobiles accounting for it as percentage wise they are likely up only what other vehicles are. As an example my 3500HD Silverado was worth more on a trade for a new one than I paid two years ago new.
Rarer vehicles are worth more than non-rare, so in times of inflation they go up more and seem like a good investment but unless you sell, pocket the money, and wait for a downturn to repurchase it seems like you're just stroking your ego on what a great buy you made. In reality from an investment standpoint you couldn't have predicted in 2016 that the events leading to this massive influx of federal money and shortage of parts from Covid would make your car such a wise purchase in retrospect.
In a similar vein, if we were in a deflationary cycle, would you all be lamenting the miserable cars produced that couldn't hold their value?
Sometimes wealth is merely an illusion, as in 2008.
Very true. I love the idea that I didn't take a bath like usual, on this car...but it's just a gamble in the end and unless I sell it, it's all talk and just an ego boost or purchase confirmation. Still fun to chat ;)

Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Shill bidding is very common on auction sites. 2000 Cobra Rs are not bringing six figures. Historically they have done well as a collectors car being how rare they are. For $60,000 you can buy a like new example. An 04 Mystichrome vert ”sold“ on that site not long ago for $72,000. Over $20,000 more than it was worth IMO.
Fixed

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Dom, with all due respect what does the past selling price/history for the 2000 Cobra R have to do with today's present market place for any Limited Edition High Performance Mustang which we all know is on fire?

We both know that the very limited production numbers for the 2000 Cobra R are really not that much different from the 2020 GT350 HEP R limited production numbers therefore suggest that both models are somewhat equally rare from a total volume standpoint.

With that being the case I find it interesting that you could sell your 2020 HEP R for ~25% more than Ford's suggested MSRP after owning it for only ~2 months and here you are questioning someone selling a 2000 Cobra R for ~100% over MSRP that is a Limited Production 2 seat R Model Mustang that was produced some 21 years ago!

Just as the 3 GT350R models that you presently own have increased in value in recent times I wonder why you would question the increased value of the 2000 Cobra R during that same timeline?

Certainly makes complete sense to me unless I am missing something?

:sunglasses:
Harry, you cant compare the 2020 HEP cars with the 2000 Cobra R's in my opinion. Yes the HEPS number about the same but GT350Rs came in other colors. The 2000 Cobra R is 300 total production of the only color they came in

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
cool. Yah I originally, for a brief second thought about buying a 2000 R instead of a 350R, but it is super dated.I still have two 99s. My buddy who bought oneis a huge SN95 fan so it worked great for him as it’s the ultimate iteration of that era.
Brett, I suggest that you made a very wise decision with respect to purchasing your 2018 R versus possibly purchasing a 2000 Cobra R.

There is no question that the 2000 Cobra R is a very cool car but after having some seat time in one there is no question that even with the independent rear end and it's many other interesting attributes for the time that our R models are so much further advanced than the 2000 R and so they should be after some ~18 years of continued engineering development and improvements for our two 2018 R's.

After driving the Cobra R and one of my R's back to back it was hard to imagine how much difference that there was between the two vehicles.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Harry, you cant compare the 2020 HEP cars with the 2000 Cobra R's in my opinion. Yes the HEPS number about the same but GT350Rs came in other colors. The 2000 Cobra R is 300 total production of the only color they came in
Tim, again it was never my intent to compare either of these vehicles with each other than from purely a build number standpoint with the 280 HEP R's only coming in one color combination just as the 300 Cobra R's coming in just one color.

My original point to one of the members was that he could presently sell his HEP R for ~25% more than the MSRP and that it was not out of the question for someone else to presently sell his 2000 Cobra R for double the original MSRP from back in the day, no more and no less.

I have been around long enough and have driven both models enough to certainly realize the difference between both vehicles.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I don’t remember 2000 Cobra R’s sitting at dealerships. You had to have a valid racing license in order to buy one new just like in 1995—Ford’s early attempt to stop people buying them and storing them away like the 1993 Cobra R. And from my memory, they were snapped up pretty quick.

Didn’t work obviously as many resold them to collectors anyways.

I have a good friend who had one, he bought it from a guy who wanted to sell it so he could buy a GT350R
This is exactly what I mean. A local dealer to us, in no way, had a racing license. Maybe he knew someone that did, but didn’t matter, they got the car and it sat for a minute.

I salivated over the car and wanted it terribly but there was no way I could afford it and no way my dad would get it with all the deletions.

So, please pardon me if I misspoke about the dealership network as it appears I was confused about the confusing purchase process at the time.

Sponsored

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
This is exactly what I mean. A local dealer to us, in no way, had a racing license. Maybe he knew someone that did, but didn’t matter, they got the car and it sat for a minute.

I salivated over the car and wanted it terribly but there was no way I could afford it and no way my dad would get it with all the deletions.

So, please pardon me if I misspoke about the dealership network as it appears I was confused about the confusing purchase process at the time.
no need to be pardoned, I don’t Think there was anything that you said that was wrong. I think Ford has progressed in how they try to keep these Uber rare cars from just collecting dust in a museum instead of being used as intended. Clearly they’ve advanced with the two year no-sale contract for the Ford GTs that comes with requirements to show the car, but think people have found ways of getting around that last provision—after all being in a collection is displaying the car to the public technically—but after that two year period, it’s straight to the auction so it seems like no matter what “life (or money) finds a way.”

1623200680934.gif

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
Brett, I suggest that you made a very wise decision with respect to purchasing your 2018 R versus possibly purchasing a 2000 Cobra R.

There is no question that the 2000 Cobra R is a very cool car but after having some seat time in one there is no question that even with the independent rear end and it's many other interesting attributes for the time that our R models are so much further advanced than the 2000 R and so they should be after some ~18 years of continued engineering development and improvements for our two 2018 R's.

After driving the Cobra R and one of my R's back to back it was hard to imagine how much difference that there was between the two vehicles.

agreed. When I starting looking it was a fleeting thought, but after owning a 2012, I can’t go back to a Mustang that doesn’t talk to me (sync ruined me), and the 99-04 steering wheel is original Shelby skinny—the 2000 R is an amazing car in its era, but like others have said, that era is 21 years past. And a lot has happened in that 21 years in car technology.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
agreed. When I starting looking it was a fleeting thought, but after owning a 2012, I can’t go back to a Mustang that doesn’t talk to me (sync ruined me), and the 99-04 steering wheel is original Shelby skinny—the 2000 R is an amazing car in its era, but like others have said, that era is 21 years past. And a lot has happened in that 21 years in car technology.
To your point I distinctly remember my first ride in a 1965 Shelby GT350 and reflected back to that first ride after which time I then spent some seat time in a 2000 Cobra R and realized at that time just how much Ford, SVT and Mustang had progressed up to that point which was some 35 years later.

Come 2011 after which time I was able to drive a 2012 Boss 302 LS and was so impressed with what Dave Pericak and his FP engineering team had achieved along with Steve Ling had provided with that 2 seat car Boss 302 LS I ended up owning 5 Laguna Seca models most of which ended up with great friends of mine in various parts of North America as it was by far the very "Best Pony Car" up to that point whether it be Camaro, Challenger or Mustang.

That leads us up to the launch of the 2nd generation of the Shelby GT350/R's in July of 2015 which I was able to experience and drive at Sebring on Monday, October 12th, 2015 after which time it was beyond my comprehension and expectations as to just how good the 50th Anniversary of the 2015/2016 FPC GT350/R's were and especially just how exceptional the 2016 R's were compared to all of the previous 5 generations of Mustang were.

Keep in mind that during my day at Sebring most of those 2016 Pre-Production GT350/R's that I drove were assembled at the FRAP prior to the July 2015 assembly date for the 2015 GT350/R's which is interesting due to the fact that Ford did not produce any Pre-Production GT350/R's for the 2015 MY with the 2016 GT350/R's pre-production cars being assembled in the Spring of 2015 which was prior to the launch of the 2015 MY cars..

Bottom line is I suggest that for any of the present owners of the 6 year run of the FPC Shelby GT350/R's I suggest that you have the very best built, engineered, most enjoyable and overall best performing Mustang since it's initial launch just over some ~57 years ago!

:clap: :clap:

Last edited:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I'm struggling. It seems like I could make some money on my current R but....what the hell would I replace it with?
Sponsored