Sponsored

Prices are on the rise......

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
In addition to the great points made, the Voodoo will never be produced again. It takes its place among the legendary 1 off model specific Ford engines and perhaps the greatest NA engine Ford has ever built. Couple that with a never to be seen again 350/R package offering and I agree that these cars will continue to be desirable. Mach 1 looks like it is a great car. Would I buy one? No. Not at the current price point. And if I'm being honest, in an apples to apples comparison, I'd be a player for the SS 1LE instead. I was a player for the ZL1 but only because the R was unobtainable around here for so long But my patience ended up paying off.
The SS 1LE is a really good car, but I wish GM would put a better engine in it. Pushrod engines, when forced to comply with modern emissions regulations, just are a little flat compared to DOHC engines. Maybe they will put the FPC engine from the Corvette in some Camaros. I'd be interested in that for sure.

I kind of think of the SS 1LE like the Miata of pony cars. A fun car to toss around in corners, but the engine is just meh. Really I even think of Mustang GTs that way. The Coyote is a better engine than what's in the Camaro, for sure, but still not as great as it could be. I have the FP track handling kit on mine and it's very connected to the road now. Handling feel is quite good. But the Coyote just doesn't compare to the Voodoo. And of course there are many other details, brakes being foremost.

This is why I feel so torn now. I really want a GT350. I'm finally in a place to do that somewhat comfortably, but I just don't know if that is a terrible decision based on the recent market.
Everybody has to make their own decision, but I can tell you that while I really want to own another GT350 - I'm waiting for now. The nice thing about wanting a car like the GT350 is that some people own them and hardly drive them. So even 3-5 years from now I think well-preserved examples will be readily available.
Sponsored

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
The SS 1LE is a really good car, but I wish GM would put a better engine in it. Pushrod engines, when forced to comply with modern emissions regulations, just are a little flat compared to DOHC engines. Maybe they will put the FPC engine from the Corvette in some Camaros. I'd be interested in that for sure.
I have the LT1 on our Z51. I have no issues with it other than I'm so spoiled with the sound of a Voodoo that the LT1 seems pretty boring. I think GM's LT pushrod motor sounds the best with a mild cam, headers and tune. That's what I would do with with an SS 1LE having heard them. Had it not been for the Voodoo, I'd be in a GM. Check that... I'd still have my 2016 B5 HC Challenger A8. Miss that car once in awhile. Very comfortable and straight line bonkers.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I have the LT1 on our Z51. I have no issues with it other than I'm so spoiled with the sound of a Voodoo that the LT1 seems pretty boring. I think GM's LT pushrod motor sounds the best with a mild cam, headers and tune. That's what I would do with with an SS 1LE having heard them. Had it not been for the Voodoo, I'd be in a GM. Check that... I'd still have my 2016 B5 HC Challenger A8. Miss that car once in awhile. Very comfortable and straight line bonkers.
I like Challengers a lot too. I'm in a Mustang because I think they are more suited to track days on the road course. That's really the only reason. For daily driving, commuting, just any general on road driving I think I would prefer a Challenger. It's odd because I think our Mustangs are too big and want them to be smaller in the future, but I like the largest pony car the most.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
What’s interesting? Almost double MSRP but it’s been 20 years.

Sponsored

zzrat

Threads
Reaction score
Deerfield,Indiana Land of Moonshine & Critters
Vehicle(s)
GR245 Radioless
WOW! That sold really well! What were the production #'s that model year?

EvilMerlin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
201 GT350 - Lead Foot Grey with Black stripes.
Just because it says sold, doesn't mean they got 106k for it. I mean BAT says it did... but I know who owned this one and where it was from and there is no way it really sold for that much considering less than 500 miles away was an identical car 2 serial numbers away with just a few more miles on it that was stickered for 60 grand less.

There were only 300 of them made, very limited edition, like all the Cobra R's.

Even currently they sell for around 55-65k depending on milage and condition. So this one must be a special car, like low serial number etc.

EvilMerlin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
201 GT350 - Lead Foot Grey with Black stripes.
Poor car just sitting for all those years. Relegated to garage art status and almost never driven.

Just like most Cobra R's, GT500's, or any "collectable" car... ever. What a waste.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Just because it says sold, doesn't mean they got 106k for it. I mean BAT says it did... but I know who owned this one and where it was from and there is no way it really sold for that much considering less than 500 miles away was an identical car 2 serial numbers away with just a few more miles on it that was stickered for 60 grand less.

Even currently they sell for around 55-65k depending on milage and condition. So this one must be a special car, like low serial number etc.
Curious about your response.
I’m usually a sceptic by nature but this is a little different for me. When I have no proof of something, I don’t advertise, I just move on.
Your gut says BS as mine does quite a bit as well. Do you have anything concrete that would back your gut response?
I’ve seen with my own eyes and heard with my own ears what stupid money can do to people.
When you have stupid money, you have a tendency to not shop around...you see it, you want it and you buy it. Not your normal thought process. Heck it’s bragging rights to your stupid money friends how much you paid....Ya, it’s stupid.

Sponsored

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
Curious about your response.
I’m usually a sceptic by nature but this is a little different for me. When I have no proof of something, I don’t advertise, I just move on.
Your gut says BS as mine does quite a bit as well. Do you have anything concrete that would back your gut response?
I’ve seen with my own eyes and heard with my own ears what stupid money can do to people.
When you have stupid money, you have a tendency to not shop around...you see it, you want it and you buy it. Not your normal thought process. Heck it’s bragging rights to your stupid money friends how much you paid....Ya, it’s stupid.
Shill bidding is very common on auction sites. Cobra Rs are not bringing six figures. Historically they have done well as a collectors car being how rare they are. For $60,000 you can buy a like new example. An 04 Mystichrome vert ”sold“ on that site not long ago for $72,000. Over $20,000 more than it was worth IMO.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)

So are you suggesting that BAT is posting false public information with respect to the selling price for this car?

Based on your comments that "there is no way it really sold for that much" what proof do you have to substantiate your claim?

:sunglasses:

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Shill bidding is very common on auction sites. Cobra Rs are not bringing six figures. Historically they have done well as a collectors car being how rare they are. For $60,000 you can buy a like new example. An 04 Mystichrome vert ”sold“ on that site not long ago for $72,000. Over $20,000 more than it was worth IMO.
I have followed these cars very closely and almost bought one back in 2000 but the dealership in Augusta, Georgia wanted $75,000 for their car which was ~$20,000 over MSRP at the time therefore I passed.

Been very fortunate to have driven these cool cars and in fact a friend of mine who bought a 2000 Cobra R brand new out of Florida back in the day and never received his "Black Book" and in fact he did not even know that they existed until I brought it to his attention during a get together when viewing his car collection.

After many discussions this individual asked for my help in order to hopefully locate his Black Book which was a long shot to say the least as he had already owned his Cobra R some 17 years therefore the chances were very slim in order to locate.

I called an individual that I knew at FP (2017) after which time he also suggested that it was a long shot to locate this important provenance as SVT, FR and FP had moved at least 4 times since the launch and build of the 2000 Cobra R in Dearborn but said that he would do his best.

Long story short it was pretty much a miracle that my friend at FP was able to locate the Black Book after 2 weeks of looking as he found it sitting in a dusty old box in the back room as it had been shuffled from one location to another after the numerous moves all those years.

Never say never when it comes situations such as this and the same for the selling price for this car.

As mentioned I follow these cars very closely as a 2,500 mile example sold just 2 months ago for $98,000 therefore this price is not out of line based on the low miles, condition and provenance and no question that these 2 seat and spartan Mustang R models are on the move in terms of pricing.

:wink:

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
What’s interesting? Almost double MSRP but it’s been 20 years.
Let’s see...
2-seat Mustang
Has its own particular aero and wheels
One-off engine
Manual tranny
One-off exhaust
Essentially a streetable racer.

if I hadn’t posted a pic of a 2000R, you may think I was talking about a 2016-2020R. It goes to show the rarer, street-racer Mustangs are doing well with value.

it took the 2000R a little while to make it to “double MSRP”. Not many domestic cars do that in 20 years.

Last edited:

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Let’s see...
2-seat Mustang
Has its own particular aero and wheels
One-off engine
Manual tranny
One-off exhaust
Essentially a streetable racer.

if I hadn’t posted a pic of a 2000R, you may think I was talking about a 2016-2020R. It goes to show the rarer, steer-racer Mustangs are doing well with value.

it took the 2000R a little while to make it to “double MSRP”. Not many domestic cars do that in 17 years.
Agreed and great point with respect to doubling the MSRP for this car.

In addition to your detailed description on the 2000 Cobra R I particulary like some additional items that John Colleti and his SVT of engineers added or deleted from this very cool car.

AC delete
Radio delete
Sound deadener delete
Borla side exhaust exiting in front of the rear wheels
Front brake cooling ducts
Independent rear end
21 Gallon Fuel Cell
Curb weight of 3,610#
Black Book Build Provenance & History
Assigned Chassis Number

Interesting to note that many of the above characteristics that we both listed for the 2000 Cobra R can also be seen in the 2015 to 2018 GT350R Base R Model with the curb weight of both models being within ~10# of each other.:wink:

Based on all of the above items which includes a low build number of just 300 cars I suggest that anyone that can find a low mileage, great condition 2000 Cobra R which comes with a lot of provenance for less than $75,000 in todays market place I suggest that is a terrific deal.

Thanks again for posting as this car brings back a lot of terrific memories for me! :like::like:
Sponsored