TSB for Secondary Cam Chain Tensioner

RetiredFireCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition Package #L0350
Earlier in the thread someone was checking to see if the drivers side gasket can be reused.......
Anyone pulled their drivers side yet to look? (DM if you don't feel like posting in open forum)

Thanks
Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I'm at the dealership now and just heard from the service manager and my belt will need to be replaced as well. 😕

No damage yet but has potential if drove it often.

I don't think it's necessary to tow your vehicles. My dealership is far away (~60 miles) and I was fine. I'm at 4,093 miles.

I'm not trying to call for blood or anything or cancel this dude but if Jason is your engine builder I'd seriously consider taking your car in for the recall lol. I'm not saying that its his fault or incompetence maybe he got a bad batch of parts, but there's a high chance this recall is for you. I'm not sure if some of the people here are double checking even though their VIN# wasn't on the list but mine was on the list so it is good that they are tracking it down.

Last edited:

italman1285

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
I'm at the dealership now and just heard from the service manager and my belt will need to be replaced as well. 😕

I don't think it's necessary to tow your vehicles. My dealership is far away (~60 miles) and I was fine. I'm at 4,093 miles.

I'm not trying to call for blood or anything or cancel this dude but if Jason is your engine builder I'd seriously consider taking your car in for the recall lol. I'm not saying that its his fault or incompetence maybe he got a bad batch of parts, but there's a high chance this recall is for you. I'm not sure if some of the people here are double checking even though their VIN# wasn't on the list but mine was on the list so it is good that they are tracking it down.

Was your timing still good? According to the recall, you cylinder head also has to be replaced in addition to the chain and tensioner. That is if timing is good. If timing is bad and fails leak down test the pistons have to be replaced as well.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was your timing still good? According to the recall, you cylinder head also has to be replaced in addition to the chain and tensioner. That is if timing is good. If timing is bad and fails leak down test the pistons have to be replaced as well.
I don't remember exactly what they said to be honest. As I don't really know anything about a timing chain. I do remember they said that they will need to investigate further and open up the engine because it failed the inspection and that they will call me tomorrow with an ETA on the parts.

I have other stuff occupying my brain space right now so I really wasn't paying attention lol. I just know that it's fucked. They will call me back tomorrow so I'll re-ask to clarify

AAI Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350 HEP
OK here is my update:
1. I saw tensioner problem in my garage, took to dealer
2. dealer confirmed issue, opened up engine to check timing, timing checked out perfectly per the picture (I only have 800 miles on the 2020)
3. said he replaced everything it said to but would NOT do the cylinder head. so the wording in the doc is interesting but if the timing is good, he won't do the cylinder head. so "affected side" means to him if timing is off, which it isn't on either side in my car.
4. it is all put back together and running fine.

Anyone hear anything different on the cylinder head?

Thanks

Sponsored

AAI Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350 HEP
OK here is my update:
1. I saw tensioner problem in my garage, took to dealer
2. dealer confirmed issue, opened up engine to check timing, timing checked out perfectly per the picture (I only have 800 miles on the 2020)
3. said he replaced everything it said to but would NOT do the cylinder head. so the wording in the doc is interesting but if the timing is good, he won't do the cylinder head. so "affected side" means to him if timing is off, which it isn't on either side in my car.
4. it is all put back together and running fine.

Anyone hear anything different on the cylinder head?

Thanks

1. Here is the language on the 1 doc:
. Replace both the RH and LH Secondary Timing Chain Tensioner, Secondary Timing Chain Tensioner Shoes/Guides, and the Secondary Timing Chains. On the affected side(s), replace the Cylinder Head. Please follow the WSM procedures in section 303-01. This completes this recall.

2. Here is the labor summary of what to do: (mine is the blue...sounds like he did it right)
Does Not Pass Inspection - Remove cam covers to check if timing is out. Timing is good: remove front cover, replace secondary drive tensioner, guide, and chain. MT21B26B Up to 8.0 Hours

Does Not Pass Inspection - Remove cam covers to check if timing is out. Timing is out, remove spark plugs perform cylinder leak down No contact - remove front cover replace secondary drive tensioner, guide, chain, Cylinder head and set timing MT21B26C Up to 16.5 Hours

Does Not Pass Inspection - Remove cam covers to check if timing is out: Timing is out, remove spark plugs perform cylinder leak down Contact - remove front cover replace secondary drive tensioner, guide, chain, cylinder head, set timing and replace pistons and rod MT21B26D Up to 20.0 Hours

nmp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Raptor 2020 GT350R 2022 GT500
logically, wouldn't that make sense? If timing was never off (it didn't slip)...then why would there be cylinder head damage? (i'm not an expert in this stuff!)
you're not wrong but the FAS was issued by ford and they are the ones saying to replace the head. who is the dealer to say no as they don't set the rules.

HEP#15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition L0015

Were both sides not activated? As you know only one side is checked with a mirror so it would be helpful to know given the TSB only checks one side.

AAI Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350 HEP
you're not wrong but the FAS was issued by ford and they are the ones saying to replace the head. who is the dealer to say no as they don't set the rules.
this is what drives me crazy. the 2 docs contradict themselves in the procedure to fix.
Wonder if there is someone at Ford that can confirm?

doc 1 language on the cylinder head. "affected"?

doc 1.png

vs. doc 2 - red line is my car, says nothing about cylinder head.

doc 2.png

*IF out of timing (which mine isn't), there are 2 fixes depending on "no contact" vs. "contact". 1 is cylinder head and one is cylinder head/pistons/rod

Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Were both sides not activated? As you know only one side is checked with a mirror so it would be helpful to know given the TSB only checks one side.
I don't know if both sides were not activated, one at least is, but I can ask whenever they call me back. By going off of the TSB procedure list it does seem like they are moving onto the next step. I remember them saying it'll take 8 hours 😄

Rebel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350
Update for mine : I took the car to the dealership on the 5th of May and mine failed the inspection . I received notice today that they are opening the motor Thursday to inspect further and no parts can be ordered until the dealership submits a claim to Ford with their findings. More delays

italman1285

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
this is what drives me crazy. the 2 docs contradict themselves in the procedure to fix.
Wonder if there is someone at Ford that can confirm?

doc 1 language on the cylinder head. "affected"?

doc 1.png

vs. doc 2 - red line is my car, says nothing about cylinder head.

doc 2.png

*IF out of timing (which mine isn't), there are 2 fixes depending on "no contact" vs. "contact". 1 is cylinder head and one is cylinder head/pistons/rod

It seems like the second attachment with the images might be incorrectly worded, the first document with the labor times is what makes the most sense. Probably no need to replace cylinder head if timing is correct as you mentioned.

Carbide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red w/white stripes Shelby GT350
Update for mine : I took the car to the dealership on the 5th of May and mine failed the inspection . I received notice today that they are opening the motor Thursday to inspect further and no parts can be ordered until the dealership submits a claim to Ford with their findings. More delays
Good luck. I've been waiting 3 weeks for some panel clips.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic

I believe @Postal Bob has the issue and different builders but I think your PSA is a valid message.
Sponsored