2021 vs. 2019. First impressions, subtle changes

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
Magnaride comes alive when you start dogging on the car. Put the car in sport or track mode and marvel at the performance. Even with 700+ hp in mine, i still love magnaride.
Sponsored

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
so, who was beeping then?
The Safe and Smart beeps and blinks when you are not slowing down as fast as the car in front and you're getting too close. You should have also seen the lights on top of the dash unless they eliminated that.
I believe the changes you mentioned, originally, were all 400 vs 401 differences.
I agree about the glove box light. I keep my cds in there. Nice to be able to read the edge labels.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
What especially annoys me is that Ford is double dipping. Not only are they decontenting the car year after year, but they're also raising the price on the base vehicle and the packages, year after year. It's nonsense. Like, pick one or the other. Yes, in the grand scheme of things the things they remove aren't huge deals by themselves, but they add up over time, AND you pay more for the privilege.
What widget do you build at work?

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
This is a very subjective list based on limited personal experience. I used to have a 2019 GT premium convertible with 400A and no Performance pack. I now have a 2021 GT premium convertible with 401A and Performance pack. (And MagneRide. And B&O sound.) It's interesting to spot tiny differences here and there. This list below will likely go on. I have just started exploring the new car.
  1. Tonneau caps are still included. Which is confusing because the order guide said they're gone. Anyhow, I was pleasantly surprised.
  2. Illuminated glove box is gone for real, which is a huge miss. In fact, I'm so upset I started a separate thread on that.
  3. My 2019 GT did not come with wi-fi hotspot. Nobody could clearly explain why. Some people even said that maybe convertibles don't have an antenna whatsoever. However, the 2021 GT does have a hotspot. So, might be a 400A vs. 401A thing.
  4. There's now a strange bulky plastic block in the middle of windshield. Must be some Safe & Smart tech. I think the camera is hidden there. I definitely did not have that on 2019 car.
  5. My wife says that ambient lighting on 2019 car was brighter than on 2021 one, especially the “Mustang” letters on the doorsteps. I think I agree. The new one seems dimmer. Weird.
  6. Overall upholstery of 401A is visibly better than of 400A. I'd say it's worth the money. (Even though I'll be missing the tri-bar stitching on the door. Dunno why it's gone.)
  7. I like the digital gauge cluster more than the analog one. However, I agree it's probably a matter of personal preference.
  8. Not a fan of the “Engine Spun” instrument Panel of PP1. I personally liked the “Angled Brush Aluminum” better.
  9. Ironically, one of the primary reasons we went with 401A instead of 400A was heated steering wheel. But the button to turn on the heat is so weirdly hidden it's almost unusable. You cannot switch it on if you're the only one in the car and you're driving. Why could not they make a physical button for that?
  10. Apparently, the driver's seat now moves back automatically once you park. Which is a nice improvement. Even though my wife complains it makes it hard for her to reach out for brake pedal to turn ignition on. But I'm wondering if it's 2019 vs. 2021 thing or 400A vs 401A thing.
  11. I heard 2019-2020 PP1 came with Michelin tires from the factory. Our 2021 PP1 is Pirellis. Not sure if it's fair replacement. But we don't plan to track the car, so I guess it's fine.
  12. Navigation came effectively for free (it's definitely not the reason why we went for 401A vs. 400A.) So, we tried it anyway, and it's hit and miss. The only subtle advantage over Wase is nice integration into the digital gauge cluster. This looks like a real tech which intends to massively improve people's life. However, we still prefer Wase because of superior search and traffic alerts. Too bad that CarPlay is still having issues. Sometimes the phone won't see the car no matter what. Honestly, I would expect them to figure it out already.
Other than the tires, your 21 is just like an 18 with those options.
The heated wheel button is easy access from the climate screen. Imo way easier than looking for a "hard" button on the dash in my Nissan, Lexus or toyota

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
You can get a Mustang $25k cheaper that has ACC so I don’t know what you’re going on about.
LOL. You don't even make any sense and just made my point - they sell you a car $25k more expensive that they don't put part(s) on that cost them money, therefore their margin is higher. Corporation 101.
Do you think they didn't put ACC on Machs because they want owner feel bad ? Or have them rant on some random forums ?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
LOL. You don't even make any sense and just made my point - they sell you a car $25k more expensive that they don't put part(s) on that cost them money, therefore their margin is higher. Corporation 101.
Do you think they didn't put ACC on Machs because they want owner feel bad ? Or have them rant on some random forums ?
The Mach margins are already insane. It's 58K fully loaded, lol. The real reason they decided not to put ACC on is because of the new bumper that is unique to the Mach. They either ran out of time to engineer and test a new mounting setup/location for the radar module (which may have also needed redesign from the supplier due to changing space requirements), or they decided to omit it for cost reasons due to that whole process. If it's suddenly re-added to the 2022MY Machs, we'll have our answer.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
You can get a Mustang $25k cheaper that has ACC so I don’t know what you’re going on about.
Which is exactly the reason I think it is a technical problem preventing ACC rather than money saving. Safe to assume it would be on there if it could be.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Which is exactly the reason I think it is a technical problem preventing ACC rather than money saving. Safe to assume it would be on there if it could be.
And solving technical problem does what ? (hint - adds cost - in parts, engineering NRE cost, assembly and so on).
Guys, start thinking like a corporation. Seriously. Everything every single one of them does is about money. I've been working for one (in engineering) for 20+ years. Anyway, this discussion becomes kind of pointless :)

Jay Marcase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Vert Eco Prem
It’s not Corporation 101 it’s Lazy Corporation 101. We could go back 15 years in the past where it was all about margins and Ford had 3 brands all selling the same exact cars with different badges....so at a certain point you have to stop thinking about margins and thinking about the Product. I was a Sr. Product Manager so trust me I under creating product, building it, go to market, etc and I always had pride in y product so I wouldn’t release a premium version with less features, period.

Yes but these are things that should have been found out before a wrench was even turned in the factory. They saw it and said “screw it, we’ll launch anyways....we need the revenue and people wil just make excuses for anyway”. Laughing all the way to the bank.

And solving technical problem does what ? (hint - adds cost - in parts, engineering NRE cost, assembly and so on).
Guys, start thinking like a corporation. Seriously. Everything every single one of them does is about money. I've been working for one (in engineering) for 20+ years. Anyway, this discussion becomes kind of pointless :)
That’s thinking like a lazy corporation not a good one. I’ve been a Sr. Product Manager and understand this intimately. It not having ACC was corporate wanting to get any car out to generate revenue as opposed to the “right car out. We saw what happened when American manufacturers got too complacent, they went begging the government for money. Ford got $8B in our tax dollars because they were lazy and couldn’t compete with the Japanese.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
That’s thinking like a lazy corporation not a good one. I’ve been a Sr. Product Manager and understand this intimately. It not having ACC was corporate wanting to get any car out to generate revenue as opposed to the “right car out. We saw what happened when American manufacturers got too complacent, they went begging the government for money. Ford got $8B in our tax dollars because they were lazy and couldn’t compete with the Japanese.
I don't disagree with you. But reality it's just about every corporation right now.
I'm in the field where this doesn't really pay off, yet we do it. Everyone does because "stock price" driven by "free cash flow" and other equally (ir)relevant indicators.
Sponsored