Tuning for DA question...

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
I ran at (5) different 1/4 mile tracks, in (5) different states, in (5) different months last year. And my car reacted differently each time! Is there anything I can do with my tune to get more consistent performance?
Screenshot_2021-02-05-12-00-48.png
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
The ECU is powerful enough to compensate for various ambient conditions on its own, there's nothing you have to do. It alters fueling, spark and cam timing based on various sensors for air pressure, temperature etc.

Your car will run differently in different weather (especially a boosted one), you can't change physics.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
The ECU is powerful enough to compensate for various ambient conditions on its own, there's nothing you have to do. It alters fueling, spark and cam timing based on various sensors for air pressure, temperature etc.

Your car will run differently in different weather (especially a boosted one), you can't change physics.
I have a Roush boosted 2019... I live in the hottest state in the US. Should I get my car tuned when it is hot out (110+)? Or cold out (50+)? Does it matter?

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
The tune is torque based.

Have your tuner limit power output to a certain torque curve. It will be extremely consistent.

If you are shooting for absolutely optimized, yeah DA will effect it a lot. If you want consistency, sacrifice a bit and get a consistent torque output in all DA's except the absolute worst where the engine cant make the torque demanded.

OP
OP
Coyote Chase

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
I have a Roush boosted 2019... I live in the hottest state in the US. Should I get my car tuned when it is hot out (110+)? Or cold out (50+)? Does it matter?
"Back in the day" We tuned our cars differently, based on track and weather conditions... Today's ECM is apparently so darn smart, that it does what we did, not only automatic, but better!
Sounds like it doesn't matter where or when we get our tune done... It will self adjust to where we are...!??

Sponsored

OP
OP
Coyote Chase

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
The tune is torque based.

Have your tuner limit power output to a certain torque curve. It will be extremely consistent.

If you are shooting for absolutely optimized, yeah DA will effect it a lot. If you want consistency, sacrifice a bit and get a consistent torque output in all DA's except the absolute worst where the engine cant make the torque demanded.
"The tune is torque based"
Wow! That's good information.... I'm starting to catch on!?? Thanks for the help (old dog/new tricks)!!

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Should I get my car tuned when it is hot out (110+)? Or cold out (50+)? Does it matter?
It doesn't really matter.

The ECU has different parameters based on outside temp. When it sees hot ambient temps, it pulls timing and a bunch of other things. When it sees cooler ambient temps, it ramps up the timing etc.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
"Back in the day" We tuned our cars differently, based on track and weather conditions... Today's ECM is apparently so darn smart, that it does what we did, not only automatic, but better!
Sounds like it doesn't matter where or when we get our tune done... It will self adjust to where we are...!??
It's been like this for quite some time now, even back in the late 90s EFI engines had sensors like IAT, MAP and knock to intepret what is going on with the engine and outside weather and be able to adjust accordingly. When you say "back in the day" you must really mean back in the day.

OP
OP
Coyote Chase

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
It's been like this for quite some time now, even back in the late 90s EFI engines had sensors like IAT, MAP and knock to intepret what is going on with the engine and outside weather and be able to adjust accordingly. When you say "back in the day" you must really mean back in the day.
LOL... Raced from 1975 to 1985
Came out of retirement for the 2020 NMRA season, getting ready for 2021...

Screenshot_2021-02-06-10-14-42.png
Sponsored