Warranty Buy-back program?

Khill6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hello all, I have a question about the specifics of warranty buybacks that I hope someone can answer.

I own a 2018 GT that I bought last year as a warranty buyback car. The paperwork said that it was a door leak on the passenger side that was brought in twice, and the original owner exchanged it for another car. They told me the problem was fixed, the passenger side carpet was replaced, all is good. I did not worry about it too much because I had just lost my beautiful S197 the week prior due to a negligent driver, and I wanted a replacement. A 2018 PP1 being sold by a dealer with 5k miles for $25k was a deal I could not resist. Fast forward to now, and I am on my second trip to the dealer with a leaking passenger side and soaked carpets. Am I eligible for a warranty buyback myself, even though the car is a warranty buyback? It is still under the factory warranty. And if I am eligible for a buyback, what type of replacement am I entitled to? I do not want to ask the dealer this because I am not confident I would get a straight answer when so much money is on the line.

Thank you to anyone that may be able to answer this question.
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Now you know why you got a 'good' deal. Tell the dealer to fix it. Properly.

OP
OP

Khill6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Now you know why you got a 'good' deal. Tell the dealer to fix it. Properly.
I've tried that but they tell me they cannot figure out the leak, and they can't replicate it. The carpets are soaked every time it rains, and I think it's coming from under the dash. Last time they just replaced the window seal. Its pissing me off, but the factory warranty runs out soon and if its going to keep happening, I want a replacement if I can swing it. It would be way easier if they could just be better at repairing it though. Last time they couldn't even bring the car around to me because the tech can't drive a manual, so who knows what kind of shop they are running.

BigRed550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I don’t understand how they cannot fix the issue.

cobra199711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 A10 GT
How are the gaps on that side. Did you check to see if this was tboned before?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Khill6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
How are the gaps on that side. Did you check to see if this was tboned before?
Gaps look normal. The car only had 5k miles when ford bought it back from the original guy, and the repair record shows him bringing it in the first time pretty much immediately with no report of an accident. The door and window stays dry, but the carpet gets soaked and sometimes I can catch a drop or two running down the kick panel, so I think its getting in behind the dash. I'm pretty sure when I took it the first time they just sprayed it with a hose, didn't replicate, replaced the window seal and called it a day.

edit: wrote $5k instead of 5k miles

BigRed550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Gaps look normal. The car only had $5k when ford bought it back from the original guy, and the repair record shows him bringing it in the first time pretty much immediately with no report of an accident. The door and window stays dry, but the carpet gets soaked and sometimes I can catch a drop or two running down the kick panel, so I think its getting in behind the dash. I'm pretty sure when I took it the first time they just sprayed it with a hose, didn't replicate, replaced the window seal and called it a day.
Have you looked at this thread. Sounds like the same issue. One guy said he fixed his by having Ford replace stickers in the A pillar.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/leak-area-behind-passenger-flooded-with-water.101947/page-2

cobra199711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 A10 GT
They need to get it on a lift and look underneath. We had an issue somewhat like this and found the vehicle was missing a “plug” in the floor board allowing water to enter.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
They need to get it on a lift and look underneath. We had an issue somewhat like this and found the vehicle was missing a “plug” in the floor board allowing water to enter.
I had a caddy xts with mysterious leak.tutned out water was getting into a pillar from leak a along top of window that went behind the top of the glass and went into pillar.out of warranty so was expensive to fix.just some silicone allow to right place.try sitting in your car while it's raining and and see if you can see where it actually starts coming in.good luck on buy back.may need a good attorney

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe the windshield was replaced and the fudged up the install.

Sponsored

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Hello all, I have a question about the specifics of warranty buybacks that I hope someone can answer.

I own a 2018 GT that I bought last year as a warranty buyback car. The paperwork said that it was a door leak on the passenger side that was brought in twice, and the original owner exchanged it for another car. They told me the problem was fixed, the passenger side carpet was replaced, all is good. I did not worry about it too much because I had just lost my beautiful S197 the week prior due to a negligent driver, and I wanted a replacement. A 2018 PP1 being sold by a dealer with 5k miles for $25k was a deal I could not resist. Fast forward to now, and I am on my second trip to the dealer with a leaking passenger side and soaked carpets. Am I eligible for a warranty buyback myself, even though the car is a warranty buyback? It is still under the factory warranty. And if I am eligible for a buyback, what type of replacement am I entitled to? I do not want to ask the dealer this because I am not confident I would get a straight answer when so much money is on the line.

Thank you to anyone that may be able to answer this question.
Call Ford and tell the rep that you would like to get a customer service manager involved. Once the customer service manager calls you ask him to se if you are eligible for a buyback. They will check with your state laws to see where you stand. Good luck

OP
OP

Khill6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Update:

Spoke to a customer service rep for Ford. She said RAV cars are eligible for buybacks the same as any other car still under warranty. So for forum posterity to any wandering soul in the future wondering if RAV cars can be bought back like a new car, the answer is yes. The catch: my warranty runs out next month. The local dealership is looking at the car on Tuesday. If they throw their hands up and say they can't fix it this time, I'm going to call Ford that day and ask to request a buyback.

The ford website tells me a 2020 GT premium PP2 with Recaros is MSRP $50k. My understanding is buyback cars have to be replaced at at least the original MSRP, which for a 2018 GT PP1 was $40k. I paid $25k for that 2018, so maybe I will pay the extra 10 and essentially trade my 2018 for a 2020 PP2 (if everything works exactly in my favor). It would be much simpler though if they just fix the stupid leak.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Check your state lemon laws as in Florida and other states for options 2 and 3 you have to pay for useage of the old vehicle which for me would have been $4500 since I put 10k in 8 months. Since I bought the car in Georgia the lemon law there protects the consumer better than Florida. I went with option 3 and the only thing out of my pocket is $590 which is the difference in MSRP between my 2020 GT Premium and the new 2021 GT Premium.

SmartSelect_20210204-204826_Gmail.jpg

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Update:

Spoke to a customer service rep for Ford. She said RAV cars are eligible for buybacks the same as any other car still under warranty. So for forum posterity to any wandering soul in the future wondering if RAV cars can be bought back like a new car, the answer is yes. The catch: my warranty runs out next month. The local dealership is looking at the car on Tuesday. If they throw their hands up and say they can't fix it this time, I'm going to call Ford that day and ask to request a buyback.

The ford website tells me a 2020 GT premium PP2 with Recaros is MSRP $50k. My understanding is buyback cars have to be replaced at at least the original MSRP, which for a 2018 GT PP1 was $40k. I paid $25k for that 2018, so maybe I will pay the extra 10 and essentially trade my 2018 for a 2020 PP2 (if everything works exactly in my favor). It would be much simpler though if they just fix the stupid leak.

I think you’re going to find out the hard way...

1) You purchased a USED Ford @ $25k. With that fact in mind, yes you can do a RAV Buy Back, BUT I don’t believe Ford will allow you MSRP on what is now almost a 3yr old vehicle that was purchased used. Your “MSRP” is the $25k. You will have to submit a copy of the original Invoice when you purchased the car (that is part of the process).

2) You’re best way out is don’t do a Ford Buy Back Vehicle Replacement, but request a complete Buy Back Refund.

3) Read and know your Home State’s Lemon Laws. Go to your State Attorney General or DMV .gov website - do not use any 3rd party website, those usually give false and misleading info. Ford adheres to the State Lemon Laws and does not deviate from them.

4) If your State enforces vehicle usage penalties and fees, be prepared to either pay it out of pocket, have it deducted from the Refund OR if pursuing a Vehicle Replacement, roll the fees into the new loan. If your State penalizes for use, it’s a formula that uses the recorded mileage of the first instance the issue was reported. It’s not total accrued miles on the car. However, the fees or penalties could add up...

5) If you’re opting to go with a Vehicle Replacement, it has to be a new Ford product found on a Ford Dealership lot. You will be responsible for any deltas in State Tax and/or a variety of State fees (ie: title, registration, dealer fees, etc). So in your example, if you paid $25k for the Lemon’d Mustang and the vehicle replacement MSRP is $40k, a $15k delta, you have to pay tax only on $15k. If you owe $20k on your current car, then your new loan will be $35k + applicable vehicle usage penalties + tax delta + any State or Dealership filing fees.

There’s a TON of Ford RAV Buy Back info, vehicle replacement vs refund, examples of the worksheet breakdowns and examples of the vehicle use penalties on this site... use search terms:
Ford RAV
Buy Back
Lemon Law
Ford Buy Back
RAV worksheet

When you bought your car, you also should have had to sign a bunch of paperwork informing you about it being a RAV vehicle and your rights (like all the fine print no one reads but just signs docs to get the hell out of the dealership)...

If you haven’t, you need to call the Ford 800# back and request a Regional CSR and open a Case #. State you’re seeking a Buy Back, that gets the ball rolling. Your Dealership won’t start a Buy Back and they will only be the “middle man” once you sign into the Buy Back agreement.

OP
OP

Khill6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I think you’re going to find out the hard way...
If it turns out that the buyback would only cover what I paid, not the original MSRP, I will opt not for the buyback. I’ll just keep trying to fix the problem rather than pay a huge delta for a new car. I guess I can ask for the worksheet and see what figures they use. Thank you for the information, that’s more that I was able to find on the internet at large, and more than Ford customer support gave me when I talked to them.
Sponsored