Sponsored

How often do you guys see other Bullitts on the road?

zack.whitford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Many of us just bought the Bullitt as a trim package, not as some kind of nostalgia crap. Ha ha. I bought one because it was cheaper and more equipped than any GT I could find, PLUS I don't like spoilers or badges, and fully loaded, so it was the right car for me. I almost bought a black one, but didn't want yet another freaking black car just because I had no choice (I live in the hot, dusty desert). On my last search attempt, the green one I bought popped up 100 miles from home (rather than 1,000), and with shipping and everything, it was pretty much the same price, and much newer (one of the last 25 made), so got that one instead. Wasn't crazy about another dark color, but at least it's a much better looking color to me... and the 'proper' Bullitt color. So kept everybody who told me a black Bullitt was sacrilege, happy. Ha ha.
I bought it because of nostalgia crap.
Sponsored

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
I bought as per here

I wanted a manual grand tourer, cross shopped against the charger, challenger and camaro. Yeah I know auto only but hey I was only looking

Saw a Bullitt in a dealership while getting other car serviced, fell in love with the cueball, the color, loved the movie* so bonus there and the fact it was a step up from a GT but not a GT350 so my kidneys wouldn't get beaten every time I drove it and pissed blood after a spirited drive :)

Loved the aluminium switches, the digital display and when i test drove it the exhaust, oh my God, I want I want I want.

I also didn't want a mid life crisis look at me car so understated , no stripes, no badges, beautiful color (green isn't my favorite color but cant fault the DHG) was a plus. The fact my teenage kids cant fit in the back is a plus :like:

Biggest negative for me was the hood prop, I mean seriously Ford come on, the engine bay is a mess but they always are in Fords, looks like a plumber had a party in the bay. Oh and the gear box, drove a Challenger manual, man that's a nice box. Scat pack was a reasonable compromise on big wallow and firm ride as well.

*Fun fact, when I collected the car my son drove me there in his black hellcat charger and I followed him home. Guess what sound track I was playing on the way home. Only negative was he refused to crash into a gas station at the end :)

PS why do they all play the wrong song on youtube, its not the theme tune folks, it's "Shifting Gears"

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I get the whole purist perspective but we are a long way from the 1960’s. Any production car with a Bullitt badge is based on a theme and not 100% authentic.

I respect the opinions of those who think otherwise, but to me it’s inaccurate to think that any non DHG Bullitt is an imposter. It’s not like anyone out there really believes that their SN95/S197/S550 Bullitt is the actual movie car.

Not looking for validation or to change anyone’s mind, but since we’re sharing that’s my personal opinion. :like:
FWIW..if i wanted a bullitt..i would prefer the black. Both colors are nice though. I agree with you, black is as much a bullitt as green.

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
FWIW..if i wanted a bullitt..i would prefer the black. Both colors are nice though. I agree with you, black is as much a bullitt as green.
Sorry to disagree but you are wrong. A Bullitt is a theme car, like the Orange General Lee Charger or the Smokey Bandit Pontiac with the screaming chicken. It is a modern interpretation of, and an homage to the original screen car and so must retain the distinguishing "features" of the original to be recognizable as such. You want a Mustang GT any color, any stripe, any option, no problem BUT it will NOT be a Bullit. I don't understand how that is not obvious to everyone. A green Charger is NOT a General LEE, a purple Pontiac is NOT a Bandit and a black Mustang is NOT a Bullitt!!! Cheers

Last edited:

Sponsored

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Sorry to disagree but you are wrong. A Bullitt is a theme car, like the Orange General Lee Charger or the Smokey Bandit Pontiac with the screaming chicken. It is a modern interpretation of, and an homage to the original screen car and so must retain the distinguishing "features" of the original to be recognizable as such. You want a Mustang GT any color, any stripe, any option, no problem BUT it will NOT be a Bullit. I don't understand how that is not obvious to everyone. A green Charger is NOT a General LEE, a purple Pontiac is NOT a Bandit and a black Mustang is NOT a Bullitt!!! Cheers
One of those...

First off i never said a mustang gt in any color. I said black, or the highland? green that the bullitt comes in.

The black bullitt of today is as much a bullitt as the green ones today. They have all the same "distinguishing features" other than color which i don't believe even the green is the same. Sorry to burst your bubble. Have an issue with it, talk to ford.

I do promise you though if you go to a car meet, park next to a black bullitt with your green, and act and say these things...no one will care to talk to you.

@Mikthehun1 has explained it pretty well, as well as OP. (Black bullitt)

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
That's the thing, to each their own. Sure the color isn't the same, but so what. Let people enjoy things. :)

Also, I'd argue the Bullitt is a separate model, or at least a submodel. I know that it shares a lot (almost all) with GT PP1, but I'd also argue it's different enough to not be a trim. Also just about every car search site for parts etc lists it separately. Or do they in the trim section?

Now I don't know. Whatever. They're a fantastic cars and if black is more your note, then all the power to ya. The exhaust is where it's at for me anyway.
When I let my wife drive it to work and beat her home, I go up to the road so I can hear and see her pull in. God dang the car looks GOOD.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
It's a trim package. Here's a shot of the badge indicating a car has that trim package.

2019-ford-mustang-bullitt-rear-view-carbuzz-445132.jpg

See, says it right there on the tin.

Also, your car has never been on a movie set, or anywhere near Steve McQueen. It's not a Bullitt either :wink:
Those are obviously manufacturer pics from Ford, but is this one actually black? In certain ligts the DHG actually looks similar to the one in the picture, but it could also be black. I know the green is brighter, but lighting conditions change so much!

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
It's a trim package. Also, your car has never been on a movie set, or anywhere near Steve McQueen. It's not a Bullitt either :wink:
Indeed brother. I can't believe freaking old farts are so passionate about a stupid car that like you pointed, wasn't in the movie (it was a '68), and was never touched by Steve McQueen. And even if it was, he was a freaking actor, for chrissakes. Do those guys have posters of Steve McQueen on top of their beds, so they can look at him every night? Ha ha. I just don't get any of that crap, to be honest. But to each his own. If they're infatuated with a guy and a movie, more power to them :).

zack.whitford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Indeed brother. I can't believe freaking old farts are so passionate about a stupid car that like you pointed, wasn't in the movie (it was a '68), and was never touched by Steve McQueen. And even if it was, he was a freaking actor, for chrissakes. Do those guys have posters of Steve McQueen on top of their beds, so they can look at him every night? Ha ha. I just don't get any of that crap, to be honest. But to each his own. If they're infatuated with a guy and a movie, more power to them :).
McQueen was widely known for his film and television career but if you're a fan you probably also know that McQueen was a seriously good driver and could hold his own alongside the best in the world at the time. Even now, there are plenty of famous actors who have used their vast sums of money to fuel their love for race car driving but only a handful are able to do it at a semi-professional level. McQueen came in 2nd place behind Mario Andretti in the 1970 12 Hours of Sebring, and did so with a broken foot. So yes, while he was the world's highest paid movie star, he was more of a gearhead than anything else-and he said so.

It's that dual-cool that most of us identify with, or at least strive for. I bought the Bullitt because my dad got me into McQueen movies and racing career when I was a boy and I've been a fan ever since. I've admired the Bullitt's since the original Ford offering (and obviously, the 68 movie car) but it wasn't until the S550 that I could afford a near-top tier Mustang V8.

No the Bullitt's aren't actual Bullitt's as they're not heavily modified, debadged 68 fastbacks. But I'd be willing to bet that McQueen would have loved having a car named in his honor, as well as the way it drove, even though he was more of a GT350R man.

And yes, I am a 38 year old man and there is a framed photo of Steve McQueen in my bedroom.

Sponsored

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
Yeah it started in a movie but does it really matter?
So while it may not be the one from the movie it is a trim level the same way the 350/500/GT/mach 1 is.

Bullitt is subdued looks and little more performance than a GT

the GT350 is supposed to be a track monster
the gt500 the most powerful and top of the line.

going by the same thought process nothing after the original gt500 and gt350 are real they are just trim packages the same way.

just to be clear I don’t adore Steve McQueen and bought the Bullitt because it was a great deal in lieu of a loaded Gt.

Edit: this actually got me thinking more about vehicles names and trim levels. It seems like the more expensive a car the name gets retired with that car. Ferrari Lamborghini mclaren they all use new names when a car is done. They dont call the 488 the refreshed 458 and they don’t call the 458 the 430 so on and so forth. Is it so they can distinguish between vehicles and make them more collectible?

Last edited:
OP
OP
AceS550

AceS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ace
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
15 years ago my first car was a 1999 Mustang GT in Dark Green Satin. It was very close to DHG. I loved that color and over the years I was never able to find another. When I decided I was getting a Bullitt earlier this year I was excited to see what the 2019 version of DHG looked like. It was a cloudy day and in person it wasn’t what I was expecting. The Shadow Black Bullitt in the showroom looked amazing, even when brought outside in the same conditions.

Since DHG was out for me, the real plot twist here is that I most likely would have went with True Blue had it been produced (and looked good) lolz. Colors are subjective, I chose what looked good to me. No disrespect to DHG 👍🏽.

zack.whitford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
15 years ago my first car was a 1999 Mustang GT in Dark Green Satin. It was very close to DHG. I loved that color and over the years I was never able to find another. When I decided I was getting a Bullitt earlier this year I was excited to see what the 2019 version of DHG looked like. It was a cloudy day and in person it wasn’t what I was expecting. The Shadow Black Bullitt in the showroom looked amazing, even when brought outside in the same conditions.

Since DHG was out for me, the real plot twist here is that I most likely would have went with True Blue had it been produced (and looked good) lolz. Colors are subjective, I chose what looked good to me. No disrespect to DHG 👍🏽.
Black Bullitts are more collectable!

blt-4739

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Bullit Mustang, Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I often get comments about my car, only met one or two people who know anything about Bullitt, either the film or the car, but lots tell me they love the colour (DHG).
Sponsored