Die hard Manual guys get in here!

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
my wife drives our 2016 GT 6 speed manual about as much as I do, its actually a car I bought for her as her daily driver, and she is constantly telling me how glad she is that we bought a manual.
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
except brake pads cost $100 and a transmission gear $3,000?
A gear? Ha ha. Maybe a synchro, or the clutch. But if you're even a mediocre manual driver, you're not going to mess up a gear. And if you do rev-matched downshifts, you're not going to mess up the clutch either. A synchro might last a bit less, but it's not going to be an issue at street rpm.

I'm always in gear, and always shift like if the tranny was sequential, up and down. Not only does the engine/exhaust sound awesome with throttle-blip downshifts, but you're always in the correct gear, and you don't have to use your brakes as much (as stated above)... which is a good thing when you live in hot TX :).

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
my point of the $3000 wasn't the cost of the gear itself but the price of tearing into the transmission to replace a gear or other part that was damaged or worn at an excessive rate. engine braking is barely more effective in the negative-G sense than just rolling out of the throttle unless you're compression braking north of 4000 rpm and trivially superseded by even a light application of brake. Sure, I get sounding like a twat on very small deceleration is fun and all - I've been known to shift my Ducati a few times during a gentle decel but that's to match engine speed to road speed, not as a means to slow the bike which I'm using the brake lever for.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
For track guys I think it's a bit more nuanced, I personally do not have the skill to drive at so close to the limits all the time on a track that the speed of a shift in an auto vs manual will ever be the deciding factor for me.
This ^^^

While the effect of faster shifting on lap times can be estimated, it would not represent an improvement in driver skill.

I like choosing the gear to be in before hitting an apex and applying power, I like being able to chose to apply power at lower rpms without the gearbox dropping 3 gears and screaming off to the redline.
I don't think there's much question that anticipating and driving to the conditions of the moment makes you a smoother driver than if you were to drive in a more reactionary fashion to a more rigorously defined shift schedule.

Norm

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
If I had an A10 with paddle shifters I'd use them all the time. I rented a A10 Camaro for a week just for laughs and was frequently toggling gears to put it into temporary manual mode. Test drove an EB/GT with A10 and used the manual override a lot. On my F150 I don't have paddles unfortunately (need to figure out how to get them) so I have to make do with Sport mode and console gear lockout selections. When I drove a Stinger I knew better than the computer what gear I needed to be in. Except in Kia's system a manual override has no or very long reversion timeout.

Long way to say, Fk the computer. I drive stick for a reason.

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
I'm a die-hard manual guy who unfortunately had an auto Mustang, which was a great car, but hampered by the 6A

Lately, thinking of getting another Mustang instead of the Bronco as planned, but this time the car i would of (long story for another day)

Ive driven stick in NYC Traffic, worth it once the roads open.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
my point of the $3000 wasn't the cost of the gear itself but the price of tearing into the transmission to replace a gear or other part that was damaged or worn at an excessive rate.
Well, that's not going to happen with engine braking man. And I'm talking about normal engine braking, not downshifting near readline every time. If you want to drive your manual like a grandma, should have gotten the auto. Ha ha. Part of the fun of driving a manual is going thru the gears up and down, at least to me. And yes, there's significant engine braking even at 3K rpm on the Mustang, which is as high as I typically reach during downshifts while driving in the city, so nothing radical. I still have to touch the brakes, but not by much, since I always drive anticipating if I need to stop. On my bikes, I hardly ever use the brakes, due to them having a lot more engine braking than cars. I think on the newest BMWs you can actually adjust the engine braking, which is cool. On the MT-10, it's massive... so when I have cars behind me, I touch the brake lever, so they know I'm braking. On the bike I also always shift each gear up and down, rev-matching as well.

ShelBoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Just found this part of the forum; very cool that there are still a few people like me.
Check the interview I did for CNBC back in April

-ShelBoss

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
For what it's worth back when I was doing my driving test it was a fail to coast in neutral or slow down to a stop with the clutch in. You had to be in gear with clutch engaged, changing down gears as appropriate until you were almost at a stop then you clutched in, in 1st, and came to a complete stop.

The only time it was acceptable to brake from speed with the clutch in was during an emergency stop where you could hit both pedals instantly and even if you didn't and left the clutch in and stalled the car, that was ok as long as you completed your emergency stop. Stalling wasn't recommended, but you did not get dinked for it in the emergency stop.

I watch so many youtubers put the car in neutral and brake to a stop from say 30mph and think, fail. you failed your test :)

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
I can’t see myself not having a manual as a daily. I just don’t like the lack of control when I drive an auto. Love going through gears.

My older brother taught me how to drive a manual with his Cavalier Z24. I’ll always remember that as he passed away a few years later.

So when you folks get into an auto car, does your foot always reach for the non existent clutch pedal before starting it?

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
So when you folks get into an auto car, does your foot always reach for the non existent clutch pedal before starting it?
It used to but I've had to bounce between both enough times now to break the habit.

It's a shame the stick is dying. While I've grown to like them, it's also a shame the year of the a10 is the year the tall gearing of the manual came out. It would've been interesting to see how the gen 3 would have done in a 1/4 with the gear ratios of the previous generation.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Just found this part of the forum; very cool that there are still a few people like me.
Check the interview I did for CNBC back in April
John Dettori's use of the word 'alienated', in the sense of abandonment by the car mfrs, describes the situation for the dyed-in-the-wool MT enthusiast in a nutshell.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Not sure. In the last 15 years or so I've driven an automatic car about once. I'm not kidding.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It's a shame the stick is dying. While I've grown to like them, it's also a shame the year of the a10 is the year the tall gearing of the manual came out. It would've been interesting to see how the gen 3 would have done in a 1/4 with the gear ratios of the previous generation.
Depending on what you want from a transmission, there are better gearsets than what's in either of the MT82's.

Norm
Sponsored