Ambient air temp sensor location??

ecoboost2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
where is the ambient air sensor located on our cars? I have the 2015 ecoboost, not sure if the engine size determines location of these sensors
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
It's almost always up front, unless in the mirrors, like my ex-F-150 (2018). Since it's not in the mirrors, it has to be in the front. Hopefully somebody will give you the precise location soon. I think I saw it under the radiator cover, but since I wasn't paying attention, maybe I'm wrong. Did it fail, or why do you want to know?

OP
OP

ecoboost2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
It's almost always up front, unless in the mirrors, like my ex-F-150 (2018). Since it's not in the mirrors, it has to be in the front. Hopefully somebody will give you the precise location soon. I think I saw it under the radiator cover, but since I wasn't paying attention, maybe I'm wrong. Did it fail, or why do you want to know?

I thought it might have failed, the temperature reading on the sync screen was stuck at 70 degree even though it was hotter than that, but now its reading around 100 which is more accurate.I'm thinking its possible its still failed, but not sure. There is a sensor in the middle next to hood latch, i wonder if thats it?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I thought it might have failed, the temperature reading on the sync screen was stuck at 70 degree even though it was hotter than that, but now its reading around 100 which is more accurate.I'm thinking its possible its still failed, but not sure. There is a sensor in the middle next to hood latch, i wonder if thats it?
It might be possible that you have to be driving for a set amount of time before the ambient air sensor updates and reads accurately. Update - looks like that might only be the case after a sensor replacement.

Note - if the ambient air temperature sensor or wiring circuit was bad, it would probably throw a trouble-code.

Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Info-1.JPG

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

ecoboost2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Ambient Air Sensor Location.

S550 Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Location.JPG

S550 Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Location-2.JPG

Another thing I might add to your helpful answers, I did disconnect the battery when I caused a warning chime to go off constantly when I installed a custom shift knob, I had to reinstall the shift knob and disconnect/reconnect the battery to return the chime to its normal self. I wonder if that reset caused the sync screen to re-calibrate, because now the temperature shown is pretty accurate. Also, may I ask if you if I had to access the ambient temperature sensor, would I have to unbolt the under bumper cover? Also, do you know anything about the in-car sensor? Where it might be located? Thank you very much for your help.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another thing I might add to your helpful answers, I did disconnect the battery when I caused a warning chime to go off constantly when I installed a custom shift knob, I had to reinstall the shift knob and disconnect/reconnect the battery to return the chime to its normal self. I wonder if that reset caused the sync screen to re-calibrate, because now the temperature shown is pretty accurate. Also, may I ask if you if I had to access the ambient temperature sensor, would I have to unbolt the under bumper cover? Also, do you know anything about the in-car sensor? Where it might be located? Thank you very much for your help.
Yes, having the battery disconnected probably put everything into a reset cycle, so could be why it took awhile to register as the info I posted earlier said - you would have to drive over 20 MPH for over 5 minutes.

The in cabin air temperature sensor is behind the slotted grill on the dash - see red circle. Totally different sensor of course.

S550 Mustang In Cabin Ambient Air Temp Sensor.JPG

OP
OP

ecoboost2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Yes, having the battery disconnected probably put everything into a reset cycle, so could be why it took awhile to register as the info I posted earlier said - you would have to drive over 20 MPH for over 5 minutes.

The in cabin air temperature sensor is behind the slotted grill on the dash - see red circle. Totally different sensor of course.

S550 Mustang In Cabin Ambient Air Temp Sensor.JPG
Thank you, that in car sensor looks pretty easy to replace if needed. Can I ask you where you're getting these diagrams, they seem pretty helpful. I can't tell, but the first diagram you showed me for the Ambient Air Sensor, is that sensor behind the lower grille far enough that I would have to unbolt the cover underneath the car? Do you know which cover I'm talking about? its directly below the radiator/bumper with the plastic rivets? Thank you again.

OP
OP

ecoboost2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Thank you, that in car sensor looks pretty easy to replace if needed. Can I ask you where you're getting these diagrams, they seem pretty helpful. I can't tell, but the first diagram you showed me for the Ambient Air Sensor, is that sensor behind the lower grille far enough that I would have to unbolt the cover underneath the car? Do you know which cover I'm talking about? its directly below the radiator/bumper with the plastic rivets? Thank you again.
What sensors are these ( in red circles) are they just for the headlights or something? Thank you again.

upload_2020-7-31_16-19-10.png

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What sensors are these ( in red circles) are they just for the headlights or something? Thank you again.

upload_2020-7-31_16-19-10.png
Those look like wire stays for the electrical wire going to the hood latch (to warn driver the hood is not latched all the way), not sensors. Just look inside the grill like the one shot shows and you'll see the outside ambient temp sensor. Probably would have to drop the undercover to get to it. But if stuff is working then no need.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

ecoboost2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Those look like wire stays for the electrical wire going to the hood latch (to warn driver the hoods not latched all the way), not sensors. Just look inside the grill like the one shot shows and you'll see the outside ambient temp sensor. Probably would have to drop the undercover to get to it. But is stuff is working then no need.

Thank you. Yeah I figured the undercover would need to come off, but doesn't seem like I'll need to deal with that anytime soon.