Sponsored

Converting a Shelby GT350 to RHD

CaptainSensible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Mustang V8 GT Coupe
This is probably a really, really stupid question but just putting it out there.

So we're all gutted that you can't buy the GT350 in the UK in RHD. But how hard would it be to convert one to RHD?

I'd imagine theres a lot you could take off the standard RHD Mustang, interior for example. I guess the main challenge would be moving the steering rack, but would that be a case of getting some different headers made?

I'm sure someone must have looked at this already and concluded it's either impossible or far too expensive, but interested to know why.
Sponsored

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
There was a garage in London that did it, think they wanted like £100k for the 2016 shape.

Seen some LHD 2020 GT500s for sale in the UK for £130k or £160k for the track pack, which is almost double the cost :crying:

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
There was a garage in London that did it, think they wanted like £100k for the 2016 shape.

Seen some LHD 2020 GT500s for sale in the UK for £130k or £160k for the track pack, which is almost double the cost :crying:
After driving a RHD car in France I would never entertain a LHD car in the UK unless it was for the track only. Add that to £160k it’s a big fat no no, even if it was RHD it would still be way to much IMO

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Bro’s got a LHD Porsche and I’ve drove to lemans a few times in a RHD - no real problems with either option (ignoring toll booths ... lol), it’s just an adaptation :like:

Same goes for hiring LHD manuals in Spain and Italy, LHD autos in the states are super easy :like:

WD :like:

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
@CaptainSensible
I don't think it's a silly idea. I too have wondered/dreamt about such a project.

I think one would be looking at firstly deciding how OEM they were willing to go.

Steering column & other such items will be a packaging challenge which would most likely be overcome with bespoke/custom solutions.

Something similar for the CANSys & electrical harnesses.

So there's the prohibitive costs someone would be up against.
Bespoke machining, new electrical harnesses, where necessary, etc.

But after that, I'd suggest the conversion would be pretty much all gravy.

I don't think there's any economic argument for it.
Such a project is for someone who simlply has to have a RHD Shelby, no matter the cost. So for me, a project like this is for the "dream" garage.
:)

Sponsored

OP
OP
CaptainSensible

CaptainSensible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Mustang V8 GT Coupe
Thanks for all the replies!

@CaptainSensible
I don't think it's a silly idea. I too have wondered/dreamt about such a project.

I think one would be looking at firstly deciding how OEM they were willing to go.

Steering column & other such items will be a packaging challenge which would most likely be overcome with bespoke/custom solutions.

Something similar for the CANSys & electrical harnesses.

So there's the prohibitive costs someone would be up against.
Bespoke machining, new electrical harnesses, where necessary, etc.

But after that, I'd suggest the conversion would be pretty much all gravy.

I don't think there's any economic argument for it.
Such a project is for someone who simlply has to have a RHD Shelby, no matter the cost. So for me, a project like this is for the "dream" garage.
:)
Agree with everything you've said there. I just wondered once someone figured it out, then you could offer a conversion service for (say) £10k or so.

With the price of early GT350s now well under $50k you could offer something really special for relatively sensible money. I could see a fair amount of demand, I'd get one for starters.

If I was more mechanically minded it's something is look into in more detail.

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Thanks for all the replies!

Agree with everything you've said there. I just wondered once someone figured it out, then you could offer a conversion service for (say) £10k or so.

With the price of early GT350s now well under $50k you could offer something really special for relatively sensible money. I could see a fair amount of demand, I'd get one for starters.

If I was more mechanically minded it's something is look into in more detail.
And before I knew it, I was researching doing a "Singer" for the S550 (more than a year ago).

Already thought about this too, esp with my back round.

I feel it's really dependant on the market for such a vehicle & evidently, nobody appears to have gone that way, AFAIK.

I've considered it, but such a project/business would need a lot of up-front investment (as Singer did) & then hope the cash rich would queue up for a "re-imagined" Mustang.

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Went to look at a GT350 for sale near me last week. 3 years old 15k miles they wanted £60k. Very tempted. Just trying to get insurance quotes first.
Im not sure i would want to convert to RHD as ignoring the initial outlay, these cars will likely become classics so the less mods the better. Also having a LHD car makes things easier when on the continent, where their roads are much less congested and more at home for the GT350, especially the Autobahn.

Lowrider Lincoln

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang - Shadow Edition, Triple Yellow '72 Lincoln - Lowrider '72 Gran Torino Sport '79 Firebird
Good question and great idea. Can't see why it couldn't be done, although not easy. I'd start with a complete UK spec wreck car. You won't need any running gear but will need all wiring loom, ECUs control boxes etc. The interior of course along with steering components. The wiring is going to be the hardest to marry up to the US car. I wouldn't be bothered about loosing any value on the GT 350. A fully finished RHD car will hold its value over here if done correctly. It'll be more usable over here too. I've got both RHD & LHD cars. Driving on the wrong side can be pain sometimes. Good luck if you do get one.

Sponsored

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Using a wrecked rhd gt is a good starting point and will give you the bits you need for
wiring loom, battery relocation, brake master cylinder, steering rack , dash board, steering column etc.

Then a set of rhd headers from kooks...

Then you need to work out a custom way of relocating oil cooler to avoid the rack.

Now of course having done all this the brakes will feel very odd as you are running the wrong master cylinder. The steering will be slower than a proper gt350 as your are on the wrong rack. Personally I would leave it lhd.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
Here is the easiest and fastest way to go from left-hand drive to right-hand drive in a Mustang:

upside down.jpg

svfinnishline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, MB Citan
Here's another idea to think about - Make a Shelby GT350 clone. Start with a RHD UK spec Mustang. Buy a wrecked Shelby and salvage the engine, trans, brakes and rear end, as well as bodywork/trim pieces.

Go to: https://thepartsfarm.com they are always getting Voodoo engines in, gearboxes, brakes etc from wrecked Shelby's in the states.Talk to them, tell them what you want to do and import a wreck to salvage parts from.

I think this would be the best and cheapest way forward.

LokiS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
At the end of the day I'd just upgrade my 17 gt with whipple, uprated brakes etc, just sayin.
Sponsored