RHD strut brace Gt350 one I think fitment

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
So I dropped on the Ford perofrmance strut brace with 2 big spacers. I fitted it today and the passenger side studs don't have a lot of thread left compared to the drivers side! Anyone else used used the spacers? Debating whether to grind it to fit better.

IMG-20210717-WA0020.jpeg

IMG-20210717-WA0014.jpeg

IMG-20210717-WA0012.jpeg
Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
why you've got full thread through by the looks of it nothing to be gained by thinning the brace for no additional threads.

OP
OP
maddog1982

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
why you've got full thread through by the looks of it nothing to be gained by thinning the brace for no additional threads.
Not so much to get more thread but wondered if it would function better being directly bolted to the strut plus it would help my ocd! Why on earth ford couldn't fit one for us I'll never know. It really finishes things off

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
Not so much to get more thread but wondered if it would function better being directly bolted to the strut plus it would help my ocd! Why on earth ford couldn't fit one for us I'll never know. It really finishes things off
corner cutting as usual, there'll be no improvement in function if it helps i have the same brace but instead of putting in spacers i just used an impact driver to hammer it down onto the tower tops :crackup: i'm 99% sure its just for looks rather than actual handling benefit.

now sway bars thats a handling benefit.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I ground mine out :

F413-D22-E-A881-4-FF5-BEA1-F4-A2-BEBDD964.jpg

5-CC2-ADB9-4-F84-45-E8-87-B9-EE3-B02-A60981.png

402-EE014-127-F-430-B-BC29-0-FF05-B78-B836.jpg

Plenty room with no spacer :

0-B441159-D17-D-4889-B9-AE-9-DBF56-BD586-E.jpg

4-C2-A3-AE2-8999-411-B-A3-C3-F2-E32030-CFED.jpg

WD :like:

Sponsored

OP
OP
maddog1982

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
corner cutting as usual, there'll be no improvement in function if it helps i have the same brace but instead of putting in spacers i just used an impact driver to hammer it down onto the tower tops :crackup: i'm 99% sure its just for looks rather than actual handling benefit.

now sway bars thats a handling benefit.
Oh wow so it just bent to fit? I keep thinking about changing the sway bars but then I've read it's easier to oversteer/understeer and best to change them with shocks and springs?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Based on my car and my brace, that’s a lot of deformation to get it to clamp flat with no spacers and no mods :

1626605189218.jpeg

Also be wary of using an impact on those studs - there are threads on here by people who have snapped them off … :frown:

OP
OP
maddog1982

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
Based on my car and my brace, that’s a lot of deformation to get it to clamp flat with no spacers and no mods :

1626605189218.jpeg

Also be wary of using an impact on those studs - there are threads on here by people who have snapped them off … :frown:

Hey,

I just used the spacers. However, the car seems to want to really follow the road no on uneven surfaces? Have I done something wrong? The car does have a 2 point bmr brace under the bottom as well. I fitted on my drive and it isn't perfectly flat, ever so slightly decline. Can find a car park undo and retighten if it would help?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,

I'm not an expert on the 550 chassis but I cant see how a brace could make tramlining worse ? Has something else changed or worn ?

I understood the bottom brace you have actually helps to eliminate wondering / tramlining ?

I have a MagneRide car and put the bottom 2 point brace on first and then the top 350 brace. I 'maybe' noticed a 'tiny' positive difference with each, but you also have to factor in that the braces have gone on reasonably early in the cars life and also as the weather has been warming up and I have been 'learning' the car i.e. I'm probably not a good barometer for the differences these braces make and in my experience other factors have probably been more influential.

You also have to consider the UK cars are the PP1 spec / fully braced with the exception of the strut top brace i.e. they already have the two braces that I understand make up the biggest difference with the strut brace being the finial piece. It's not like we go from nothing to everything yielding the biggest / most noticeable change in handing.

Let be honest, we want the strut brace A) because it looks cool and B) because we feel we are missing something compared to a USDM PP1 / PP2 / Bullitt / Mach etc ... :giggle:

With regards fitting, this is the first instruction on the FP info :

1626689448965.png

OP
OP
maddog1982

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
Thanks thats really helpful. It just feels like it's a touch heavier on the steering and almost wants to flow the road a a little bit. It does however, feel better around corners, hit roundabout hard and the front tucks and grips doesn't seem to wallow as much and feels more positive. However again it's summer and ps4 tyres so maybe its because they are hotter but I drive it daily ans didn't feel that good last week. I'll get my car 100 percent flat later undo the 4 bolts and retighten
Hi,

I'm not an expert on the 550 chassis but I cant see how a brace could make tramlining worse ? Has something else changed or worn ?

I understood the bottom brace you have actually helps to eliminate wondering / tramlining ?

I have a MagneRide car and put the bottom 2 point brace on first and then the top 350 brace. I 'maybe' noticed a 'tiny' positive difference with each, but you also have to factor in that the braces have gone on reasonably early in the cars life and also as the weather has been warming up and I have been 'learning' the car i.e. I'm probably not a good barometer for the differences these braces make and in my experience other factors have probably been more influential.

You also have to consider the UK cars are the PP1 spec / fully braced with the exception of the strut top brace i.e. they already have the two braces that I understand make up the biggest difference with the strut brace being the finial piece. It's not like we go from nothing to everything yielding the biggest / most noticeable change in handing.

Let be honest, we want the strut brace A) because it looks cool and B) because we feel we are missing something compared to a USDM PP1 / PP2 / Bullitt / Mach etc ... :giggle:

With regards fitting, this is the first instruction on the FP info :

1626689448965.png

Sponsored