Sponsored

Oh no, here comes the cylinder deactivation nonsense.

Relias119

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eli
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang GT premium
Vehicle Showcase
As we’re moving into the world of DI (because it’s more efficient), It boggles my mind how in Japan “lean burn mode” is allowed on factory cars, but in the U.S it is prohibited. In theory, oil problems can occur because either not enough or too much oil will be injected into the combustion chamber. Then of course, there will be huge variety in Crankcase Pressure, since blowby will shift from 4 cylinders to 8 then 4 again. Then, the harmonics of the engine completely shift because the crank will be given uneven load from cylinder deactivation. With this I just can imagine increased wear on the crank, more PCV system, terrible harmonics and just less reliability overall.

It’s just overall, lean burn mode is a better idea. Yes lean burn causes increased temps, however it is easy to control with proper cooling and monitoring (only activating with proper oil temps, low load, high gear & low rpm, proper coolant temps, and comfort/eco drive mode).
Sponsored

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
Is there a written rule that says only political responses can be made in specific political threads?....
Asking for a friend
Sure

Sponsored

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
... In theory, oil problems can occur because either not enough or too much oil will be injected into the combustion chamber. Then of course, there will be huge variety in Crankcase Pressure, since blowby will shift from 4 cylinders to 8 then 4 again. Then, the harmonics of the engine completely shift because the crank will be given uneven load from cylinder deactivation. With this I just can imagine increased wear on the crank, more PCV system, terrible harmonics and just less reliability overall.

It’s just overall, lean burn mode is a better idea. Yes lean burn causes increased temps, however it is easy to control with proper cooling and monitoring (only activating with proper oil temps, low load, high gear & low rpm, proper coolant temps, and comfort/eco drive mode).
Hopefully NO oil is injected into the combustion chamber. The 300C never "puffed blue" even after sitting a while in relatively cold air. No blue trail ever. The PCV valve only needed cleaning every 15K or so.

Last edited:

Relias119

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eli
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang GT premium
Vehicle Showcase
Oil pumps are mechanically driven and even if they engineered a way control the oil squirting, then you would have metal on metal moving up and down with no lubrication. At least some oil is needed to prevent the rings from having premature wear.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Like it or not engines like our Coyote are being legislated out of existence. Don’t know exactly when, but it will happen.
Our Coyotes in their current form, maybe. But gas engines as a species, no way. Not in our lifetime.

As far as EV’s you may not get to see latest models in Romania but let me assure you, Tesla, for all their faults, is not a crappy, barely useable shopping cart.
Tesla costs three times more than it's worth and is still next to unuseable in a lot of real-life situations. It's a toy for the rich and a social statement, not a practical car for the masses.

Last edited:

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
I have the MDS, (cylinder deactivation), on my '16 Ram Sport.
You want to talk about horrible??? lol I disable it as soon as I get into my truck EVERY SINGLE TIME! I cannot stand it. The only way to get rid of it on these Ram trucks is to buy a new PCM and the tune.
My 2019 Ram does this and you cannot even tell. From what I understand, it is fine until you start messing with the exhaust setup.

I'm just here to point out how sensitive and emotional Trump supporters are.

Oohhh noo the F150 might have a feature that would save a ton of mpg while towing at highway speeeds.
Just here to point out that the Rams in tow/haul mode disable it...so maybe the F150 will as well.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Our Coyotes in their current form, maybe. But gas engines as a species, no way. Not in our lifetime.
I used to think the same thing until a few years ago. I believe the V8 will be retired for all Mustang models besides the top dogs like the Shelby's. There will come a time when ANY V8 won't meet increasingly strict emissions standards. This time isn't far off. Probably within the next 5 years but could be as long as 10 years. I posted before I think the V8 is going away for the Mustang in 2024. We will see what happens. People complain about emissions standards but still want to breathe clean, fresh air. If you are the ones saying not in your lifetime, think about your kids. If you don't have kids, think about being a decent human being. Let the younger generations live a good, healthy life! Increasing emissions standards would be a step in the right direction for this to happen.

For anyone complaining about cylinder deactivation, buy an older model or stick with your current model when the time comes. In technology(yes, it's an advancement in technology) the only constant is change. Cylinder deactivation in a V8 is one of the latest technological advancements(to keep V8s around a little longer). The next step is either a V6 or fully electric.

If you look at the world when Covid happened, animals that were heading toward extinction got life breathed back into them because of less crowded beaches or less deforestation. That same map was clear instead of a haze from pollution. You could see countries that weren't able to be seen from outer space previously because of pollution. This is a wake up call that we need to start enforcing stricter standards to keep our planet going.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
If you are the ones saying not in your lifetime, think about your kids. If you don't have kids, think about being a decent human being. Let the younger generations live a good, healthy life! Increasing emissions standards would be a step in the right direction for this to happen.
A Euro 6.2 gas engine in good working order is one of the least polluting man-made things. It produces mostly just carbon dioxide and water. Ironically, if you run it in a badly polluted place it will exhaust cleaner air than the one it breathes in.
On the other hand, an EV is an ecological disaster on wheels. The worldwide supply of lithium is limited, its extraction is one of the most polluting industries, its transportation accross the globe is a polluting and energy-hungry affair, and the electricity used to charge the car comes mostly from burning coal and gas.
So if you want your kids to breathe fresh air, you should use a good, fairly new gas engine and encourage them to do the same.

But anyway, this wasn't about whether I agreed with the extinction of gas engines or not, but whether it will actually happen during our lifetime. And no, I don't think it will. EVs today are as far from fulfilling the needs of the masses as they were twenty years ago.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I didn’t say ICE I said, V8’s. They will not be around much longer, unfortunately.
Tesla costs three times more than it's worth and is still next to unuseable in a lot of real-life situations. It's a toy for the rich and a social statement, not a practical car for the masses.
You can buy a Tesla in the US for less than a Mustang. Most real life situations are exactly what the car is designed for. It may not be practical for the masses, yet, but it is far from being only a car for the rich. Do you actually know someone who owns a Tesla?

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I didn’t say ICE I said, V8’s. They will not be around much longer, unfortunately.
You didn't, but my original reply was to someone who did, and you took it from there. :)

You can buy a Tesla in the US for less than a Mustang. Most real life situations are exactly what the car is designed for. It may not be practical for the masses, yet, but it is far from being only a car for the rich. Do you actually know someone who owns a Tesla?
Most real life situations include long distance commuting, or living in an appartment building with no access to a charging station, or not having a dedicated parking place with a charging station where you work, or going on a long distance trip on holiday, or spending a week-end at a holiday cottage in a remote mountain area, or any combination thereof.
And those are just the objective reasons. Never mind subjective ones, namely hating the look and feel of the Tesla, or of EVs in general.
No, I don't pesonally know anyone who owns a Tesla, but there are quite a few Teslas around here. Actually, you can find a lot of expensive cars in Romania. The car is a powerful status symbol here.
I don't like EVs and I will not buy one unless there was absolutely no other option. But the question isn't whether I like them or not, but whether they can fulfill the needs of the majority of the population. And the answer to that is no. Not yet. Not in ten years even.
Sponsored