Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
  • Banned
I spent the day this past Friday in Charlotte NC at Ford Performance’s Racing School for the first class ever of the 2020 GT500 Track Attack! It was an absolutely AMAZING day! I took a bunch of video and pictures to document the event and after two days of editing and uploading, you can now see this event for yourself. I hope you have some time, this video is 1:51 long! I did the North American Track Tour in Vegas last Oct. I would call that event an “appetizer” with this one being the full 7-course meal!

For those of you that buy a GT500 or GT350, you absolutely MUST attend this event!

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Very cool. I'll be up in a few more hours to do the same thing, really looking forward to it.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Very cool. I'll be up in a few more hours to do the same thing, really looking forward to it.
Get ready for a totally EPIC day! I was amazed with these cars going into the day, I left completely blown away!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Great!

However I don't recognize the uniform. Ah, nevermind.

Sponsored

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500, 2022 GT500, 2020 GT Mustang, Raptor,
Hey Tim thank you so much for all the time and detail. I truly feel like I was right their at the school and track event and really enjoyed the video. Did you personally fly in since you had your pilots uniform on? And could definitely feel the excitement and truly exhausting day to say the least. Keep the fun videos coming and once again thank you for you Ford GT500 support:captain:

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Hey Tim thank you so much for all the time and detail. I truly feel like I was right their at the school and track event and really enjoyed the video. Did you personally fly in since you had your pilots uniform on? And could definitely feel the excitement and truly exhausting day to say the least. Keep the fun videos coming and once again thank you for you Ford GT500 support:captain:
Thanks GG, appreciate it! It was a HELL of a day! I have people reaching out to me that were there today and had a blast. More are going tomorrow. Fortunately for this round, they don’t have rain to deal with... although I must admit, racing in the rain was actually a valuable experience!

As for my uniform... yes, I am a pilot. I caught a free ride there and back on American. Although it’s not required, the process is much easier when we are in uniform.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got lucky. Our afternoon track lead/follow sessions were an instructor, myself, and another guy. The other groups typically had more people. We hauled ass as the instructor wasn't leaving us behind (as much as I don't doubt he could have) so we kept going faster and kept catching up to the group that was originally behind us. I was out of fuel as was the other dude. Zero miles to empty while 130+ on the oval - not good. Both of us had to come in early in the last session. The school admitted they were still fine tuning and tweaking and will have to top off with fuel from now on.

The car rotates easily and you can power right through a slide, or "throttle oversteer" without theatrics.

I'll post up more on our day when I'm home tomorrow night. Note that we were 50% at the drag strip and 50% at the speedway. No slalom/cones or slidey car. Just pure, hardcore, badassery.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
I got lucky. Our afternoon track lead/follow sessions were an instructor, myself, and another guy. The other groups typically had more people. We hauled ass as the instructor wasn't leaving us behind (as much as I don't doubt he could have) so we kept going faster and kept catching up to the group that was originally behind us. I was out of fuel as was the other dude. Zero miles to empty while 130+ on the oval - not good. Both of us had to come in early in the last session. The school admitted they were still fine tuning and tweaking and will have to top off with fuel from now on.

The car rotates easily and you can power right through a slide, or "throttle oversteer" without theatrics.

I'll post up more on our day when I'm home tomorrow night. Note that we were 50% at the drag strip and 50% at the speedway. No slalom/cones or slidey car. Just pure, hardcore, badassery.
Sounds like you had a BLAST!

It’s crazy that these cars are still going full tilt boogie with a damn near empty tank. This wasn’t possible in the S197 GT500.

A big takeaway for me was how forgiving the car is... whether you went into a corner “too hot” or get too aggressive on the steering or brakes, this car handles everything you throw at it with no drama. It handles your errors with ease and makes you look good.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had accidentally turned traction control off (stability control shows off too but I don't believe it was 100% off) when hurriedly switching to Track mode. It was very easy to swing the back end around with the throttle in the infield coming off a turn. In one session I swung it out drift-style and the corner worker was waving his arms. I waved back.:) Not the fastest way but it sure was fun. I turned it back on, not wanting to slide off the oval at speed and ending up being that guy. The two laps I got with the instructor at the end...I kept giving him the thumbs up and he kept going faster - swinging the tail out in the same spot at the exact same turn I did. It was a beautiful moment.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I had accidentally turned traction control off (stability control shows off too but I don't believe it was 100% off) when hurriedly switching to Track mode. It was very easy to swing the back end around with the throttle in the infield coming off a turn. In one session I swung it out drift-style and the corner worker was waving his arms. I waved back.:) Not the fastest way but it sure was fun. I turned it back on, not wanting to slide off the oval at speed and ending up being that guy. The two laps I got with the instructor at the end...I kept giving him the thumbs up and he kept going faster - swinging the tail out in the same spot at the exact same turn I did. It was a beautiful moment.
Awesome!

Question... how did you know traction control was off. When Track Mode is selected, the traction control off indicator appears on the display, but this isn’t really accurate. Traction control and stability control are still enabled, but with much looser parameters. This is especially true with yaw... in Track Mode, you can really hang the ass end out and slide around turns. The safety net is still there though, it just has been relaxed quite a bit.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The prompts come up when switching. By default you are still in traction control but it asks you and if you hit the ok you just selected it. A number of people commented on it and did the same thing. I did it in haste. I don't know if you guys got the same experience in the wet but you are really pushing boundaries when on the oval, twice and then very hard on the brakes not long after. So hard, the car would get a bit unsettled just prior to letting off and making a hard turn. I admit to still being so hard, sometimes late, that I was turning (gotta turn or else) when the weight transfer was all wrong and got a little squirrely. But back on the throttle harder than necessary and you could throw the car where you wanted too.

A warning to you guys that go...this is serious shit when the day ramps up in the dry. If your instructor thinks you can do it, he'll turn it up as close to 11 as you may have ever been. Do not brake too late when behind him coming off the oval if you are only a couple car lengths behind or you may be making another partial GT500 payment (or three!).

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
As always, thanks for the write up, Tob...CLEARLY you had the time of your life <smile> and now I'm excited about going all over again.

But, I'm not in any hurry to wreck one of their cars or worse, hurt someone, so I will absolutely keep your caution in mind. No doubt it is quite appropriate for many of us who have a big right foot and a small brain when it comes to cars. :-)

On a sadder note, I read about the latest in Buffalo this morning, mighty sorry, amigo.

Can't wait for the "unabridged version" of TA. <grin> And hope the trip home is uneventful.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red