Sponsored

Question about mounting emblems

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
Does this require a new thread? I dunno - I did a search; if this should be in an existing topic I'll delete and repost it there. Thanks,

Anyway...I have a 2016 California Special emblem that I want to mount on an egg crate-design grille on a 2020 GT. Now, there are two positioning pins or whatever you call them on the back of the emblem. My question is - are these things actually secured to the CS grille simply with the 3M tape that comes attached to the emblem, or is there a backing piece that the emblem attaches to? Doesn't seem like there would be enough surface area on most open grilles for the emblem to be secure, and I notice there are what look like mounting holes on emblem-less pictures of the CS grille.

Thanks for any information or suggestions.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DRB

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, I guess for the moment I've answered my own question: the emblem is flat and the grille is curved. There's a backing plate used to attach the emblem to the CS grille.

So I'll put that aside for the moment. I'm sure a metal bracket/adaptor can be constructed fairly easily and maybe I'll get around to that...unless someone would like a new tribar pony emblem for considerably less than you can buy it online.

Thanks

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
That is how the factory GT/CS emblem is made and mounted, its a chrome emblem in a black housing. you use three one time use lock washers you slide along each of the three pegs till it is tight against the grill surface. That method will work fine with a curved grill, but would need to ensure some sort of contact, meaning at least the top and lower peg and the push lock washer can contact well with honey comb portion, the washer can be angled if needed, does not have to be on a pure flat surface

However the stock GT/CS emblem pegs are thicker early to not go too far into the holes and length is designed for the depth of the grill to the base plate.

gtcs.JPG

s-l500.jpg

OP
OP
DRB

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. Do you have a part number for the housing? I find these, with chrome pony, for the 2013-2014 in a number of places online. The design looks somewhat different on the older ones, but works the same way.

upload_2020-5-22_21-38-4.png

upload_2020-5-22_21-36-59.png

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. Do you have a part number for the housing? I find these, with chrome pony, for the 2013-2014 in a number of places online. The design looks somewhat different on the older ones, but works the same way.

upload_2020-5-22_21-38-4.png

upload_2020-5-22_21-36-59.png

GR3Z-8A224-BA ? however it looks odd with only 2 positioning holes and adhesive. I am hearing somewhere that the GT/CS Pony badge is not sold as a separate part on the S550, have to buy the entire top grill, it comes all together. Same as trying to get the California script on the decklid, have to get the GT/CS decklid to get it.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Consider making a bracket with 2 holes . Place the emblem in the grill move it around. When you find the sweet spot. Emblem studs thru the grill. Install the bracket made, removing the tape so it can stick to the grill. That will help it hold its placement, and push on the push nuts .

Keep the bracket small enough so it will hide behind the emblem. Might need to play around to make it work, but I see no reason to replace the grill.

Just one of those personal touches that require some work, but the reward is worth it.

Pep

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

DRB
Noticed this today..Post number 3, see that black piece on the right? That could be in your grill already. On my car that keeps any rain or water from getting into the intake. Behind that is the air horn for the air filter.

Mind you I drive a GT..... if understanding the problem correctly.

Cheers
Pep

OP
OP
DRB

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, there are places to attach the piece if I can come up with one.

I'm looking at what's available, including the Amazon badge. Thanks for the help and suggestions so far.

It might be kind of fun to go with one of the older classic badges, like the 1969:

upload_2020-5-23_20-17-47.png

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, there are places to attach the piece if I can come up with one.

I'm looking at what's available, including the Amazon badge. Thanks for the help and suggestions so far.

It might be kind of fun to go with one of the older classic badges, like the 1969:

upload_2020-5-23_20-17-47.png

Agree, like the red white and blue touch, are not the newer ones just the Mustang ? Have not taken notice, the reason for asking.

What is the thinking regarding the location ? The bracket seen above you have that?

OP
OP
DRB

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh, I'm just old enough to be sentimental about having a tribar pony somewhere on the car.

This is what I have:

61z8I-91yPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, I'm just old enough to be sentimental about having a tribar pony somewhere on the car.

This is what I have:

61z8I-91yPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I am there ..... understand

OP
OP
DRB

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Part I: The Plan, (such as it is):

A galvanized steel plate that's only slightly smaller than the tri-colored bar should give the central part of the adhesive backing something to grip to:

1plan.jpg

2plan.jpg

3plan.jpg

4pkkan.jpg

OP
OP
DRB

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Part II, or What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

That I can think of? All of this:

1. Will it hold on, under normal wear, with just the center attached? Probably. I dunno. The adhesive should also attach to part of the eggcrate; I just don't think it's enough. I may find out.
  2. Will it withstand a little abuse like a car wash? I won't be finding out.
  3. Would someone be able to pull it off? Uh...yeah, there's that. I've never had anyone try to pry an emblem off one of my cars that I know of, so one can hope...
  4. What happens if it comes off or disappears? I unscrew the galvanized plate, hope there's little or no visible wear behind it, and chalk it all up to experience.
upload_2020-5-25_16-23-19.png

Last edited:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
On the right track, couple of questions, seen in the photo. Stud locations, arrow is pointing to a plastic stud ? The other stud, is low about mid point (white strip) ?

Creating an upside down L .The white tab to the right top is a no brainer paint to black, all gone.

Give some thought to the idea, of mounting the galvanized steel plate on the back side of the grill.
Sandwich the grill, between the galvanized steel plate and emblem.

I have a couple of things in mind. Can you measure the stud length, and grill width'. Also is it possible to snap a picture. Showing how much stick or poke out of the emblems studs, Is there beyond the rear grill face. Galvanized steel plate shown looks to be 1/16" 3/16" maybe

Interested in what you can tell me about the parts
4pkkan.jpg

OP
OP
DRB

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First of all, thanks for your suggestions and help.

A couple of quick things -
  1. The studs on the back of the emblem are very small. intended to enable accurate positioning on a professionally pre-drilled or formed piece. They're not really useful for anything else. The actual plastic studs for the push-nuts are on the backing piece shown in @Mustangpursuit 's post here, which is the part I don't have and was trying to substitute the steel plate for.
  2. The white tab at the top right is part of the protective backing on the 3M adhesive. You take hold of the tab to peel it off.
And with all that said, and thanks to the posters who've made encouraging suggestions...I'm putting this aside, for now. Two reasons:

1. I'm not mechanically inclined, but I tend toward perfectionism where the look of things is concerned. And to my eye, this ain't perfect; and
  2. I had to follow this through to see what it looked like, but at the end of the day I just don't love the look as much as I'd expected I would.
5plan.jpg

So...thanks for the interest and support, guys. I'm sure I'll circle back to this obsessive/compulsive state of posting next Spring when I go to change out the seats. :crackup:
Sponsored

Last edited: