Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
First of all, thanks for your suggestions and help.

A couple of quick things -
  1. The studs on the back of the emblem are very small. intended to enable accurate positioning on a professionally pre-drilled or formed piece. They're not really useful for anything else. The actual plastic studs for the push-nuts are on the backing piece shown in @Mustangpursuit 's post here, which is the part I don't have and was trying to substitute the steel plate for.
  2. The white tab at the top right is part of the protective backing on the 3M adhesive. You take hold of the tab to peel it off.
And with all that said, and thanks to the posters who've made encouraging suggestions...I'm putting this aside, for now. Two reasons:

1. I'm not mechanically inclined, but I tend toward perfectionism where the look of things is concerned. And to my eye, this ain't perfect; and
  2. I had to follow this through to see what it looked like, but at the end of the day I just don't love the look as much as I'd expected I would.

So...thanks for the interest and support, guys. I'm sure I'll circle back to this obsessive/compulsive state of posting next Spring when I go to change out the seats. :crackup:
Nothing wrong with that, ^ Food for thought using note book paper. Locate and put holes in it for the stud. Match the emblem perfectly, with that pattern, transfer it to a piece of card board.

Overall card board size does not matter, best to be larger than needed for now
. Focus on the emblem stud holes so without any force or wiggling the emblem drops in to place.

Don't be to concerned about the locator pins. Here is why, they most likely will end up in between the grill holes, just floating.

Now that you have the stud hole located, and emblem slides into them. Trace the emblem onto the cardboard face. Draw a rectangle about 1/2'' larger all sides, top bottom and sides, Cut the card board.

Front of grill, move that around until it's centered, blue tap into place. Go to the back of the grill see what is where . Looks good you have a template to make your bracket.

Instead of galvanized steel plate, suggest ABS plastic for the bracket. It's playable and will conform to the grill. Without pulling/ stressing the plastic studs, easy to work with.

Regards,
Greg
Sponsored

Reactions: DRB

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I verified by Ford, The emblem on a GT/CS grille is sold all together as part of the grill not separate, I am still figuring out what the part you ordered from Ford is for as in application, two pins + adhesive, I verified reaching behind my grill and did feel three pins on the 2019 which matches the 2015-17 grill emblem backing and does use three pins. You can buy the entire grill 15-17 which is GR3Z-8200-AC to get the piece off but that is expensive. and even $$$$$ for the 19+ which is KR3Z-8200-AB. Glad I could re-use my GT/CS top and front for my Steeda Front Bumper.

Ford sites often showing the two pin adhesive emblem as a being grill application, but does not match the GT/CS emblem grill piece.

Maybe it is the rear decklid badge for the 2018 Pony Package? I had to buy the entire pony package decklid to get the correct emblem though. it comes all as one piece, but that pony has a larger scale size than a GT/CS grill emblem.

Do those two rear holes by chance line up and fit in two of the tiny holes, or they come short? the bracket looks fine and should work fine with what you are trying to do.

OP
OP
DRB

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
Yeah I verified by Ford, The emblem on a GT/CS grille is sold all together as part of the grill not separate, I am still figuring out what the part you ordered from Ford is for as in application, two pins + adhesive, I verified reaching behind my grill and did feel three pins on the 2019 which matches the 2015-17 grill emblem backing and does use three pins. You can buy the entire grill 15-17 which is GR3Z-8200-AC to get the piece off but that is expensive. and even $$$$$ for the 19+ which is KR3Z-8200-AB. Glad I could re-use my GT/CS top and front for my Steeda Front Bumper.

Ford sites often showing the two pin adhesive emblem as a being grill application, but does not match the GT/CS emblem grill piece.

Maybe it is the rear decklid badge for the 2018 Pony Package? I had to buy the entire pony package decklid to get the correct emblem though. it comes all as one piece, but that pony has a larger scale size than a GT/CS grill emblem.

Do those two rear holes by chance line up and fit in two of the tiny holes, or they come short? the bracket looks fine and should work fine with what you are trying to do.
The photo you posted has a stud or pin or something located just at the base of the pony's neck that matches the position of one of the two locator pins on the back of the emblem I bought (I circled it betow). Is this possibly the chromed and painted piece that's attached to the reverse side of the black plastic base?

Maybe this was sold as a repair part should the front of the emblem be lost or broken?

The part number on the Ford bag is GR3Z-8A224-BA,

upload_2020-5-25_20-27-6.png

Every parts place online that carries the piece and refers to it by this part number describes it identically as the CS/GT grille emblem, so they must all have got that ID from Ford. Is it possible that Ford didn't describe it properly in their catalog (certainly the "exploded" Ford illustration that accompanies it is generic rather than accurate).

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
The photo you posted has a stud or pin or something located just at the base of the pony's neck that matches the position of one of the two locator pins on the back of the emblem I bought (I circled it betow). Is this possibly the chromed and painted piece that's attached to the reverse side of the black plastic base?

Maybe this was sold as a repair part should the front of the emblem be lost or broken?

The part number on the Ford bag is GR3Z-8A224-BA,

upload_2020-5-25_20-27-6.png
So I guess the black plastic housing piece can only be acquired with a complete new grill.

OP
OP
DRB

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I guess the black plastic housing piece can only be acquired with a complete new grill.
Yeah, you're probably right.

This certainly looks like a match for the chromed front piece on the 16-17 grille:

upload_2020-5-25_20-35-42.png

The '18 pony package rear emblem looks like a slightly different design, and bigger - my guess is that it's the '15-'16 V6 decklid emblem with color applied:

upload_2020-5-25_20-38-35.png

upload_2020-5-25_20-40-0.png

Sponsored

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, you're probably right.

This certainly looks like a match for the chromed front piece on the 16-17 grille:

upload_2020-5-25_20-35-42.png

The '18 pony package rear emblem looks like a slightly different design, and bigger - my guess is that it's the '15-'16 V6 decklid emblem with color applied:

upload_2020-5-25_20-38-35.png

upload_2020-5-25_20-40-0.png
Yes I do have the 18+ pony appearance decklid, actually its a high quality decklid designed emblem vs the V6 one, different mold, the tri-color housing is neatly bordered with even level colored bars, the V6 one has no borders and two side bars are raised up.

OP
OP
DRB

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just realized I have one of those V6 rear emblems: It does lack the borders around the vertical stripes:

upload_2020-5-25_20-48-11.png

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I just realized I have one of those V6 rear emblems:
I took some measurements, front and rear emblem are different sizes for comparison

DSC_3682[46060].JPG

DSC_3684[46059].JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
DRB

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your decklid emblem looks about the same size as the old V6 one - obviously a different design - and larger than the "grille" emblem. The tribar on the "grille" emblem is less than four inches tall.

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Your decklid emblem looks about the same size as the old V6 one - obviously a different design - and larger than the "grille" emblem. The tribar on the "grille" emblem is less than four inches tall.
I edited photos in previous post, Yeah different sizes, Front Pony ls 6" long and Pony in rear is about 7.5" long

Sponsored
OP
OP
DRB

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I edited photos in previous post, Yeah different sizes, Front Pony ls 6" long and Pony in rear is about 7.5" long
Yeah, your close-up of your CS grille emblem makes it clear that the one I bought is identical. It clearly fits into the black plastic "frame" with the three attachment studs. What application, exactly, Ford was offering it for as a separate piece is a mystery,

In the 2010-2014 cars, I believe the tribar grille front piece was the same as the fender emblems. But Ford never put tricolor fender emblems on the 2015-2020 cars.

OP
OP
DRB

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BTW, this is what parts places want for the backing bracket for the 2013-2014 version of the CS emblem (I can't come up with an equivalent part number for the new version, presumably because as you indicated it's not sold separately):

upload_2020-5-25_21-36-29.png

That's ridiculous - you can buy the entire thing, with chrome emblem included, on Amazon for less than half that (picture's in one of my posts uptopic).
Sponsored