BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I wish I had gone with the Bilstein B6 struts instead of the FP struts
FYI, direct feedback from @KellTrac, who's driven both the B6 and FP track with these spring rates, is that the B6 are just a little better, a little more polished and refined. There is not a significant difference between them, certainly not enough to spend another $700+ to go from FP track to them. Maybe that eases your mind a little. You've got, more or less, basically the best option you could have for a stock-style strut/shock setup.
Sponsored

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
I have the GT350R springs front and rear on my Ecoboost paired with the Ford Performance track struts and rear shocks (stock anti-sway bars front and rear). It's difficult to notice much drop at all vs the stock springs. I wish I had gone with the Bilstein B6 struts instead of the FP struts. Otherwise, it's a great set-up. I'm 59 and daily drive the car to work on back roads through the hills.
I've got the same springs, struts and shocks on my EB and while the drop isn't obvious, it's certainly noticable if you're looking for it. The 1/2" drop at the rear is readily apparent when looking at the gap between the tire and fender. A 275-285 tire will put me right where I want to be.
The front is less obvious but it's there. Again, filling the remaining space with rubber should get me where I want to be.

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
I have the GT350R springs front and rear on my Ecoboost paired with the Ford Performance track struts and rear shocks (stock anti-sway bars front and rear). It's difficult to notice much drop at all vs the stock springs. I wish I had gone with the Bilstein B6 struts instead of the FP struts. Otherwise, it's a great set-up. I'm 59 and daily drive the car to work on back roads through the hills.
Thank you for your input, great to see someone with a setup I have in mind.

How do you like it in comparison with the stock performance pack setup? Did you notice a big difference in handling and such? I was thinking of getting the Ford performance track struts and shocks, what makes you prefer the Bilstein B6 over the FP struts?

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
I've got the same springs, struts and shocks on my EB and while the drop isn't obvious, it's certainly noticable if you're looking for it. The 1/2" drop at the rear is readily apparent when looking at the gap between the tire and fender. A 275-285 tire will put me right where I want to be.
The front is less obvious but it's there. Again, filling the remaining space with rubber should get me where I want to be.
Great to hear your opinion on this too! With the stock PP ride height, I'm more or less able to go over every speed bump, just very slow if it's a big one. The only thing I scraped once (while going in a very steep underground parking) was the lower plastic flap hanging under the front splitter/splash panel. I figured if it's lowered I'll probably have to remove that flap.

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost PP Manual Recaro
Thank you for your input, great to see someone with a setup I have in mind.

How do you like it in comparison with the stock performance pack setup? Did you notice a big difference in handling and such? I was thinking of getting the Ford performance track struts and shocks, what makes you prefer the Bilstein B6 over the FP struts?
The Bilsteins have better low speed damping and are generally more refined than the FP struts. The setup I have now is superior to the original PP setup my car came with.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
The Bilsteins have better low speed damping and are generally more refined than the FP struts. The setup I have now is superior to the original PP setup my car came with.
Well since the Bilsteins are a local product, and you and others seem to like them better, I might get them instead of importing a set of FP struts from the USA. Would be cheaper too, thanks for letting me know.

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
I started planning my build a year ago and availability of the Bilsteins was still uncertain in the US. As much as I loved them on my Porsche, I didn't spend much time investigating a product that wasn't available yet. Had they been available I would certainly considered them.

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
If I go the Bilstein B6 route, do I need to order any additional parts? Just the Front struts and rear shocks, along with some GT350R springs will be fine right? Do the Bilsteins just reuse stock mounting parts? I noticed that the FP dampers came with a new set of strut mounts and I'm wondering if I need to purchase those for the Bilsteins. Apart from that is it an OEM like fit or do they require any modification to fit? Been searching online for Bilstein B6 struts and shocks but none of the local dealers seem to offer a set for an S550 so I'll try and contact them directly.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
If I go the Bilstein B6 route, do I need to order any additional parts? Just the Front struts and rear shocks, along with some GT350R springs will be fine right? Do the Bilsteins just reuse stock mounting parts? I noticed that the FP dampers came with a new set of strut mounts and I'm wondering if I need to purchase those for the Bilsteins. Apart from that is it an OEM like fit or do they require any modification to fit? Been searching online for Bilstein B6 struts and shocks but none of the local dealers seem to offer a set for an S550 so I'll try and contact them directly.
The only recommendation is get some M3 bumpstops for the rear like @Roadway 5.0 did. You can get stock ones to fit but they require quite a big effort. The front struts have integrated bumpstops.

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
The only recommendation is get some M3 bumpstops for the rear like @Roadway 5.0 did. You can get stock ones to fit but they require quite a big effort. The front struts have integrated bumpstops.
Good to know thanks!

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I wouldn't. The springs with it are OK, but I think you'd be happier overall with your oem springs.

Strut tower brace would be good as long as your car came with the upper K brace and extension panel. Things like the g-trac or other braces like the CB006, IMO, are completely unnecessary.

The Track Pack springs are not that harsh. They are maybe not the best for pure performance (a bit too soft), they seem to be a good road/track compromise. But if rules prevent using the springs, you can buy everything separately (it may still be cheaper to buy the kit and just not use the springs). My suggested priority would be:
anti roll bars
shocks/struts
toe link bushings (a pain to install).

I agree on the bracing with Bmac, not much bang for the buck. The Track Pack or one of the similar Steeda suspension kits would be a good starting point (or equivalent minus springs). Then add camber and maybe brakes. The kits often assemble the stuts & springs, which would make installation easier than just struts (forcing you to pull off the stock springs and assemble onto the new struts).

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The Track Pack springs are not that harsh. They are maybe not the best for pure performance (a bit too soft), they seem to be a good road/track compromise.
Certainly. I was looking at his ground clearance/approval constraints with a lowering spring, plus factoring in the rates of those springs. Stock or a minimal drop & handling rate spring (with accompanying dampers) like the GT350R spring is, IMO, a better solution for the OP.

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
The Track Pack springs are not that harsh. They are maybe not the best for pure performance (a bit too soft), they seem to be a good road/track compromise. But if rules prevent using the springs, you can buy everything separately (it may still be cheaper to buy the kit and just not use the springs). My suggested priority would be:
anti roll bars
shocks/struts
toe link bushings (a pain to install).

I agree on the bracing with Bmac, not much bang for the buck. The Track Pack or one of the similar Steeda suspension kits would be a good starting point (or equivalent minus springs). Then add camber and maybe brakes. The kits often assemble the stuts & springs, which would make installation easier than just struts (forcing you to pull off the stock springs and assemble onto the new struts).
Thanks for your input!

I'm thinking of getting either the Bilstein B6 or the Ford Performance dampers along with the GT350R springs. If I want to keep my car road legal, I'm required to have a certificate of an approved installer so I can't install them myself. Changing bushings, sway bars or brakes is technically illegal but I doubt anyone will notice. For example no one will notice if I installed the bigger GT PP brakes or even the GT350 brakes. If sway bars happen to be an issue I'll just uninstall them before inspection. It's only every 2 years so no big deal.

The FP Track Pack may still be an option but like I said earlier the 1 inch drop might be risky on these roads. BmacIL told me the GT350R springs are less of a drop on the Ecoboosts so I think that is my best bet.

Would you think I need to purchase a different shock mount? Like UPR/Steeda billet mount? I heard the OEM ones are prone to fail with stiffer springs, don't want that to happen while I'm on a track.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
For example no one will notice if I installed the bigger GT PP brakes or even the GT350 brakes.
I was under the impression that all Euro-spec EBs and GTs had the Performance Package—to include the brakes. Judging from your large side mirrors you for sure have a Euro-spec. Am I way off here?

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
I was under the impression that all Euro-spec EBs and GTs had the Performance Package—to include the brakes. Do you have a US Spec model?
No I do have an European version, which indeed only comes with the premium and performance package. But if I remember correctly, the GT's PP brakes are bigger than the Ecoboost's? Not that I'm thinking of upgrading right now, all I need is a DOT4 brake fluid like Motul RBF600, since the stock fluid overheats after only 1 lap on the Ring.
Sponsored