Sponsored

First suspension mods road racing

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
Hi all, I'm looking for some suggestions suspension wise.

Goals for the car

About once a month I attend a track day (Road racing, not drag racing), Because I live in Europe, it's either the Nürburgring, Spa Francorchamps or Zolder. Most of the time it's the Nürburgring just because you can go there almost everyday (during the season) and put some laps down relatively cheap. Other tracks need reservations months before.

My car is a manual 2017 Mustang Ecoboost with the premium performance package. The only mods I've done so far are an upgraded intercooler and a catch can. The car drives great as it is now, but as I'm getting closer and closer to it's limits on the track, you can start to feel it could use some upgrades in terms of handling. For example the body roll during hard cornering and the stability at high speeds.

Now since this is also my daily driver (and my back isn't the best), I'm not looking for crazy transformations that would take a big hit on the comfort of the car.

Current plans

I'm not a suspension expert, but for now I was thinking of getting a GT350R strut tower brace along with the Steeda Extreme G-Trac K-Member brace. Would these be a good first upgrade or should I upgrade something else too since I'm firming up the front? Would these upgrades have any negative impact (like on understeer/oversteer)?

As I said I'm really not an expert when it comes to suspension so suggestions are welcome. I'm mainly looking to get some of the easier upgrades like bolt on braces and sway bars. Big changes like coilovers or springs is something I'm not sure I'm willing to do yet since rules here are different and it takes a lot of paperwork to make those things road legal. (That doens't mean I will never upgrade them).

Thanks!
Walt
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all, I'm looking for some suggestions suspension wise.

Goals for the car

About once a month I attend a track day (Road racing, not drag racing), Because I live in Europe, it's either the Nürburgring, Spa Francorchamps or Zolder. Most of the time it's the Nürburgring just because you can go there almost everyday (during the season) and put some laps down relatively cheap. Other tracks need reservations months before.

My car is a manual 2017 Mustang Ecoboost with the premium performance package. The only mods I've done so far are an upgraded intercooler and a catch can. The car drives great as it is now, but as I'm getting closer and closer to it's limits on the track, you can start to feel it could use some upgrades in terms of handling. For example the body roll during hard cornering and the stability at high speeds.

Now since this is also my daily driver (and my back isn't the best), I'm not looking for crazy transformations that would take a big hit on the comfort of the car.

Current plans

I'm not a suspension expert, but for now I was thinking of getting a GT350R strut tower brace along with the Steeda Extreme G-Trac K-Member brace. Would these be a good first upgrade or should I upgrade something else too since I'm firming up the front? Would these upgrades have any negative impact (like on understeer/oversteer)?

As I said I'm really not an expert when it comes to suspension so suggestions are welcome. I'm mainly looking to get some of the easier upgrades like bolt on braces and sway bars. Big changes like coilovers or springs is something I'm not sure I'm willing to do yet since rules here are different and it takes a lot of paperwork to make those things road legal. (That doens't mean I will never upgrade them).

Thanks!
Walt
Upgrade struts and shocks to Bilstein B6 or the Ford Performance track (M-18000-F). Those should not cause any problems with road legality as they don't change ride heights or fit differently than OEM. As far as anyone is concerned, they're direct OEM replacement. They are a significant upgrade to the handling and will improve the ride simultaneously. The next thing I would look at is something like the BMR CB010 level one lockout kit. Start there and see how you like it.

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
Upgrade struts and shocks to Bilstein B6 or the Ford Performance track (M-18000-F). Those should not cause any problems with road legality as they don't change ride heights or fit differently than OEM. As far as anyone is concerned, they're direct OEM replacement. They are a significant upgrade to the handling and will improve the ride simultaneously. The next thing I would look at is something like the BMR CB010 level one lockout kit. Start there and see how you like it.
Thank you for the suggestion!

Those are the same struts from the Ford performance track handling pack right? So basically you are suggesting the same but without the sway bars and springs? Would this be a noticable enough upgrade over stock performance package? I'm the kind of guy to buy good once and leave it like that, I've always thought about getting the handling pack but it's a 1 inch drop and with all the speed bumps over here it's too risky.

Struts and shocks aside, would the 2 upgrades I mentioned, along with the BMR CB010 level one lockout kit be a good upgrade to start? Those would be upgrades I'm able to install myself, the struts would require a dealer install.

I've always dreamed about getting Öhlins road and track suspension but those are out of my budget.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the suggestion!

Those are the same struts from the Ford performance track handling pack right? So basically you are suggesting the same but without the sway bars and springs? Would this be a noticable enough upgrade over stock performance package? I'm the kind of guy to buy good once and leave it like that, I've always thought about getting the handling pack but it's a 1 inch drop and with all the speed bumps over here it's too risky.

Struts and shocks aside, would the 2 upgrades I mentioned, along with the BMR CB010 level one lockout kit be a good upgrade to start? Those would be upgrades I'm able to install myself, the struts would require a dealer install.

I've always dreamed about getting Öhlins road and track suspension but those are out of my budget.
Yes, and it would be very noticeable. Another thing you may want to add is a front swaybar from BMR, eibach, steeda, etc.

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
Yes, and it would be very noticeable. Another thing you may want to add is a front swaybar from BMR, eibach, steeda, etc.
Maybe it'll be easier to just get the track handling package from Ford Performance and fill in the paperwork for the 1 inch drop? Just so I have a complete package that works well together? Now about the strut tower brace and K-member brace, would you still recommend adding them or are those unnecessary?

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe it'll be easier to just get the track handling package from Ford Performance and fill in the paperwork for the 1 inch drop? Just so I have a complete package that works well together? Now about the strut tower brace and K-member brace, would you still recommend adding them or are those unnecessary?
I wouldn't. The springs with it are OK, but I think you'd be happier overall with your oem springs.

Strut tower brace would be good as long as your car came with the upper K brace and extension panel. Things like the g-trac or other braces like the CB006, IMO, are completely unnecessary.

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
I wouldn't. The springs with it are OK, but I think you'd be happier overall with your oem springs.
Sorry for all the questions, I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff and I'm trying to understand, why would the oem springs be better than the Track pack handling springs?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for all the questions, I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff and I'm trying to understand, why would the oem springs be better than the Track pack handling springs?
Better for what? For the constraints you've outlined I think they'd be better. The track pack springs are somewhat better for handling, but you'd be better off with a stiffer rate linear spring set vs the track pack springs. GT350R springs, for instance. On the Ecoboost the drop is minimal (0.5" front, 0.3" rear approximately), but only you know if they'd be an issue for you.

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
Better for what? For the constraints you've outlined I think they'd be better. The track pack springs are somewhat better for handling, but you'd be better off with a stiffer rate linear spring set vs the track pack springs. GT350R springs, for instance. On the Ecoboost the drop is minimal (0.5" front, 0.3" rear approximately), but only you know if they'd be an issue for you.
0.5" front and 0.3" rear drop with the GT350R springs? That's probably fine I figured the max I could go without having to worry about scraping is about 0.75". I thought better for handling since they come with a track oriented kit, and you said I would be more satisfied with the OEM springs and I just wondered why that would be the case. In that case I'll get the Ford Performance (MT-18000-F) with the GT350 springs, the BMR stage 1 lockout kit and Steeda sway bars, strut tower brace. Thanks for the help.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
0.5" front and 0.3" rear drop with the GT350R springs? That's probably fine I figured the max I could go without having to worry about scraping is about 0.75". I thought better for handling since they come with a track oriented kit, and you said I would be more satisfied with the OEM springs and I just wondered why that would be the case. In that case I'll get the Ford Performance (MT-18000-F) with the GT350 springs, the BMR stage 1 lockout kit and Steeda sway bars, strut tower brace. Thanks for the help.
I'd recommend only the front bar, actually. PP rear bar is plenty.

The GT350R springs are these part numbers:
FR3Z-5310-M
FR3Z-5560-X

Sponsored
OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
I'd recommend only the front bar, actually. PP rear bar is plenty.

The GT350R springs are these part numbers:
FR3Z-5310-M
FR3Z-5560-X
Thanks, appreciated! I hope it'll be worth all the hassle of importing these and having them installed.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, appreciated! I hope it'll be worth all the hassle of importing these and having them installed.
I definitely believe it will be. It should feel night and day different.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
If you have a bad back and are cautious on lowering the car, I suggest starting with larger adjustable swaybars and/or wider and better tires and go from there. If you want more, go for the Bilstein B6s on stock springs. More? Eibach’s ProKit is TüV certified and stands at 200/800 which isn’t too harsh an increase over stock. Still more? Explore 350R springs or similar.

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
If you have a bad back and are cautious on lowering the car, I suggest starting with larger adjustable swaybars and/or wider and better tires and go from there. If you want more, go for the Bilstein B6s on stock springs. More? Eibach’s ProKit is TüV certified and stands at 200/800 which isn’t too harsh an increase over stock. Still more? Explore 350R springs or similar.
One of the first suspension mods I'll be doing is the GT350R Strut tower brace and either the BMR Front sway bar or the Steeda sway bar kit. From there I'll see how I like it and probably get the Ford performance track strut and shock kit with the GT350R springs. The Bilstein B6s is a popular option over here for BMWs and Porsches, so it might be cheaper since I don't have to import, but I like the OEM like fitment Ford provides. I'm not going to play too much with springs since I don't have the tools to install them myself and a shop install is always expensive over here. I got quoted €600 ($660) for the install last time I asked so not looking to pay that everytime I change my mind about springs lol.

Thanks for the suggestions, appreciated! Good to know the Eibach Prokit is TüV certified, might be an option too.

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost PP Manual Recaro
I have the GT350R springs front and rear on my Ecoboost paired with the Ford Performance track struts and rear shocks (stock anti-sway bars front and rear). It's difficult to notice much drop at all vs the stock springs. I wish I had gone with the Bilstein B6 struts instead of the FP struts. Otherwise, it's a great set-up. I'm 59 and daily drive the car to work on back roads through the hills.
Sponsored