Sponsored

Anyone done axlebacks other than Borla with Borla resonator?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Curious to hear how they sound/volume level.
Sponsored

Mark5825

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I had the FRPP Touring mufflers but with Kooks headers

Thisisdan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Borla/fp catback, removed axle back and replaced with mishimoto race straight pipes.
Deep and loud. No rasp at all

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sort of curious about something like this myself. I've been eyeballing the SwitchFire and was thinking of adding on an axle back since I like the tone of the SwitchFire but with a bit more umph. Borla mufflers seem to be the logical choice but I'm wondering if there are good options out there.

OP
OP
BmacIL

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sort of curious about something like this myself. I've been eyeballing the SwitchFire and was thinking of adding on an axle back since I like the tone of the SwitchFire but with a bit more umph. Borla mufflers seem to be the logical choice but I'm wondering if there are good options out there.
I just paired the Borla resonator (p/n 60561 resonated H-pipe) with the AWE touring axleback. So far I'm digging it. It's nice and deep, very refined and has a good bark. It fits perfectly with no cutting, and plenty of volume. It was crazy loud with the Borla X pipe (louder than ATAK or Corsa Xtreme), had to change it.

Sponsored

udcvsean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I just paired the Borla resonator (p/n 60561 resonated H-pipe) with the AWE touring axleback. So far I'm digging it. It's nice and deep, very refined and has a good bark. It fits perfectly with no cutting, and plenty of volume. It was crazy loud with the Borla X pipe (louder than ATAK or Corsa Xtreme), had to change it.
I might have to do this as well... currently have the Steeda h-pipe and axle-back which sounds great but is very loud (obnoxiously loud according to my gf).

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
we've done a few, sound good. there are so many possible combinations its endless

OP
OP
BmacIL

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I might have to do this as well... currently have the Steeda h-pipe and axle-back which sounds great but is very loud (obnoxiously loud according to my gf).
You may just want to try a different axleback, one that isn't super loud inside but still has good bark.

udcvsean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
You may just want to try a different axleback, one that isn't super loud inside but still has good bark.
Good idea. Hope they make an AWE touring axle back for the 2018+ models. The steeda h-pipe and axle back cost me just over $500 on Black Friday but all the other cat backs for ā€˜18+ are well over $1k. I know you get what you pay for but still hard for me to bite the bullet.

Is there a reason you went with the axle back instead of the cat back? I thought I saw you installed the Borla ATAK recently.

OP
OP
BmacIL

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Good idea. Hope they make an AWE touring axle back for the 2018+ models. The steeda h-pipe and axle back cost me just over $500 on Black Friday but all the other cat backs for ā€˜18+ are well over $1k. I know you get what you pay for but still hard for me to bite the bullet.

Is there a reason you went with the axle back instead of the cat back? I thought I saw you installed the Borla ATAK recently.
I think they do, but I'll caution you that the touring axleback is VERY loud. I'd expect the full catback to be only marginally, if any quieter than the ATAK catback or Corsa Xtreme catback.

You do get what you pay for if you want some volume without it being too loud inside or having drone.

Sponsored

udcvsean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Interesting, Iā€™d have thought the AWE touring axle back to be relatively tame. If thatā€™s the case Iā€™m fine with my setup. The volume is fine inside the cabin with the windows up and there is only a tiny bit of drone when in sixth gear at 1k-1.3k rpm. Even with the windows down itā€™s fine until I step on it. My only gripe is the cold start is obnoxiously loud.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I contacted AWE. They will not be making axle backs for the 2018

OP
OP
BmacIL

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
No 2018 axle back... are they doing a full cat back?

I wonder why? I absolutely LOVE the axle back on my 16!!! Could not be happier in any way!

OP
OP
BmacIL

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
No 2018 axle back... are they doing a full cat back?

I wonder why? I absolutely LOVE the axle back on my 16!!! Could not be happier in any way!
It's a little quiet for me still with the Borla resonator (which should be louder than the oem suitcase). Hopefully it gets better with more miles. Tone is nice overall, especially with windows up.
Sponsored