OP
OP
RacinJason

RacinJason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang base GT w/PP
I'm trying to keep him on the brakes, because he should shop for a month before deciding what exact car to buy. There will be another Mustang pop up in a couple of weeks I'm sure. Patience is key here, and that is what I'm trying to show him.

I gave it some thought, and the plastic peel on the 5.0 could be from a different car or replacement just to make it look newer. I'm sure the plastic would have melted away long before 60k. idk, I took my plastic off first day and took the engine cover off shortly after that. It is unnecessary weight. :cool:
Sponsored

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Don't tempt me. LOL Besides, I love my car!! I'm not selling mine for him to wreck it. And just to be clear, this is all on him and his money. He has a suburban that he is willing to trade in. He still hasn't checked on insurance. Didn't have time cause of work.
Do it!!! You know you want a brand spanking new one don't even deny it :rockon:

In all seriousness though, where are you located? There are a lot of GT's within a 150 mile radius of me that are really well priced. Also maybe go look for a one owner individual and get the full story then go to the bank or CU and check on rates and terms. That way you can get a better deal usually and also get s feel for the owner and how it was driven. Most folks buy a muscle car and hot rod the hell out if them, obviously, but you might get lucky.

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I'm trying to keep him on the brakes, because he should shop for a month before deciding what exact car to buy. There will be another Mustang pop up in a couple of weeks I'm sure. Patience is key here, and that is what I'm trying to show him.

I gave it some thought, and the plastic peel on the 5.0 could be from a different car or replacement just to make it look newer. I'm sure the plastic would have melted away long before 60k. idk, I took my plastic off first day and took the engine cover off shortly after that. It is unnecessary weight. :cool:
Definitely looks meaner and gives you a better respect for the engineering that went into this motor. I'm not sure why they'd want to hide it.

Ps...not sure you remember being that young but I know at the ripe old age of 17 or 18 there's no way I would've wanted to wait a month. You learn with age and experience. Hell I still get impatient

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
As someone who had a premium GT & then a GT500 in my teens & 20s. I can fully say, I wouldn’t do it again if I had a do over. I wish I had listened to my old man & kept my money instead of blowing it to look cool. Would have had college paid off sooner, setup better for buying a house, more freedoms to take risks. But atlas the heart wants what the heart wants. If he’s really dead-set and sounds like he has access to a shop. He ought to go with a classic. Heck make it a restomod. Insurance will be cheaper. It wouldn’t be a dime a dozen stang. Holds a better longterm value. And gets to wrench and build some bonding time with family.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Thanks for all the comments guys. I can't recall everyone's individual questions, but I'll try to give as much detail as possible. First off he will be 21 in a couple of weeks. He is financially responsible and has a great job making great money for his age. Hell, for anyone's age around here. He priced insurance, cause i told him check that first before we go see the car. Over $400 a month is what his current company quoted him, and that made him pump the brakes. I told him to shop around. Anyway, I had a '69 with a 302 when i was in highschool, and I never lost a race. I understand youth shouldn't be trusted with power, but I'm sure he will do fine. His dad builds racecars (mainly Foxbodies), and all three of us have tools, shop, and experience. I just don't want the clutch to let go with that many mile not knowing how it was driven. There is an ecoboost premium same year and less miles for the same amount, but he is set on the GT. I don't blame him. 60k seems way high to me when i have a 17 daily driven with 12.5k on it!!! Anyway, if he gets insurance sorted out then maybe we will go check it out. The next best GT around here is $32k, and that's out of his price range. The one he is looking at looks to be clean and in good shape. It even has the peel plastic thing still on the 5.0 part of the engine cover!!! That could be a good sign, but still blows my mind.

32K is obscene. Hunt around, you can do better, into the mid 20's or so. FWIW, I was 23 when I got my first Mustang GT. I can find idiots on the road of any age but I certainly understand other's rhetoric about the age and responsibility thing. I feel the same sometimes but then I remember that I did it too and even some of the old timers here...weren't a lot of you building your 60's and 70's muscle cars in high school and college on the side? Whatevs, different conversation for a different day.

Sponsored

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
32K is obscene. Hunt around, you can do better, into the mid 20's or so. FWIW, I was 23 when I got my first Mustang GT. I can find idiots on the road of any age but I certainly understand other's rhetoric about the age and responsibility thing. I feel the same sometimes but then I remember that I did it too and even some of the old timers here...weren't a lot of you building your 60's and 70's muscle cars in high school and college on the side? Whatevs, different conversation for a different day.
I like the restomod idea.utd be a lot cooler than GT.for 32k you can get a fully done 65 mustang,gto or Chevrolet.and then have fun with it changing plugs,points,brakes etc.im 74 and sold my 65 bro last year was to see it go,but old knee couldn't do clutch anymore,also sold my Shelby as well,same reason

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all the comments guys. I can't recall everyone's individual questions, but I'll try to give as much detail as possible. First off he will be 21 in a couple of weeks. He is financially responsible and has a great job making great money for his age. Hell, for anyone's age around here. He priced insurance, cause i told him check that first before we go see the car. Over $400 a month is what his current company quoted him, and that made him pump the brakes. I told him to shop around. Anyway, I had a '69 with a 302 when i was in highschool, and I never lost a race. I understand youth shouldn't be trusted with power, but I'm sure he will do fine. His dad builds racecars (mainly Foxbodies), and all three of us have tools, shop, and experience. I just don't want the clutch to let go with that many mile not knowing how it was driven. There is an ecoboost premium same year and less miles for the same amount, but he is set on the GT. I don't blame him. 60k seems way high to me when i have a 17 daily driven with 12.5k on it!!! Anyway, if he gets insurance sorted out then maybe we will go check it out. The next best GT around here is $32k, and that's out of his price range. The one he is looking at looks to be clean and in good shape. It even has the peel plastic thing still on the 5.0 part of the engine cover!!! That could be a good sign, but still blows my mind.
Tell him to buy a $4k beater (daily non-GT obviously) put limited insurance on it and insure a GT thru Hagerty as a pleasure\weekend car. Save an enormous amount on insurance and keep more value on the GT with less miles from driving it less.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I was thinking more about this on the way home. I sit in an hour of traffic to go 18 miles, so the mind has time to wonder. Anyways, you could make the GT work. Although you might pay insurance for 435HP, you can tune it out. With HP Tuners (Or just paying a tuner) you can reduce the rev limiter, change the driver demand torque table, or retard the crap out of the spark and play with the cams. You could even re-map the gas pedal so that 100% throttle commands only 50% throttle.

Personally, I would leave the rev limiter in place, and not touch the pedal mapping, but I would alter the driver demand and retard the spark. You could quite easily turn it into a 300HP V-6 mustang now, and then get your full power back either progressively, or in one fell swoop.

Basically you would be asking your tuner to make a "Valet Tune" or ("Black Key" for the Hellcat crowd). Just another out-of-the-box thought.

I almost always buy used cars, I do most of the work on them myself. Other than the usual clutch tests (Hammer the throttle in a high gear at low RPM and look for slip) or see where the engagement point is, I don't think miles works well to ascertain clutch life. I am quite easy on my clutches, I ran my stage 3 SRT-4 on the stock clutch for around 50,000 miles. My buddy doesn't know how to properly take off on a hill, and so he "holds" the car by abusing the poor clutch. One way to look at it is get yourself a qute from a local shop on a new clutch, and then add that to the price of the car. If you/him are okay with that number, then roll the dice. Who knows, you might win? :)

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Personally that insurance is insane. Even for young age I wouldn’t expect it to be more than 125 I’ve seen people on other forums asking how much they pay and being young and it wasn’t anywhere near 400. Then again is his driving record clean because that might be why. Also with my insurance there wasn’t a difference between EcoBoost and GT in terms of price.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
My buddy doesn't know how to properly take off on a hill, and so he "holds" the car by abusing the poor clutch.
does he ride a motorcyle? wet clutches have no problem with that. You can hang a car on the clutch too. I just wouldn't do it for much longer than 10 seconds at a time and not at elevated rpm.

Sponsored

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Personally that insurance is insane. Even for young age I wouldn’t expect it to be more than 125 I’ve seen people on other forums asking how much they pay and being young and it wasn’t anywhere near 400. Then again is his driving record clean because that might be why. Also with my insurance there wasn’t a difference between EcoBoost and GT in terms of price.
I think some people aren't being truthful.

I pay $200/month full coverage on my GT with a sparkling clean driving record at 38 years old.

When I was 18, my new 2002 Mustang GT cost me $550/month to insure. My car payment was $500.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
I think some people aren't being truthful.

I pay $200/month full coverage on my GT with a sparkling clean driving record at 38 years old.

When I was 18, my new 2002 Mustang GT cost me $550/month to insure. My car payment was $500.
I pay $99/month in NJ which is considered one of the highest in the US for auto insurance. I was paying nearly $180/month with Geico before switching to plymouth rock. Even when I was 20 and bought a 2001 GT Convertible, I was “only” paying $200/month. I have never had a point on my license nor had an accident.

I learned that the “big” auto insurance companies with tons of TV ads gouge you. Shop around, try plymouth, cure, etc.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
I bought a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon in 02 and my insurance was $390. Car payment was $325.. I was just about 24 years old.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I pay 300/mo full coverage (comp+collision) at age 47 but that's across 3 new sports cars. When I was 20 I was paying at least 250/mo for full coverage on a used '91 Pontiac Grand Prix. (PA/VA)
Sponsored