Sponsored

"Mustang Mach E" Confirmed, Reservations Begin Immediately After Nov 17 Live-Streamed Reveal

How will Ford naming it's new electric SUV "Mustang Mach E" impact your future purchase decisions.

• Much more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • Slightly more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • No change

Votes: 219 55.9%
  • Slightly less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Much less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 63 16.1%

• Total voters

Hayburner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The lifespan of our mustang imo , depends more so on how long that idiot Hackett is sitting in that CEO position. Let’s face it , this cluster would not likely have happened , if it weren’t for him. How long do ford CEO’s usually last ? 4-5 years lately ? He needs to be removed from his position. He is clearly out of touch with reality. Look at the fantastic job he’s doing , ford stock is thru the roof
Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Not to derail this thread, but since we’re on the topic of Ford future vehicles...
What you know about the Bronco that makes you feel it may be underwhelming?
Given Ford's track record, it is probably a 4 door SUV more then it is a 2 door Bronco and powered by a 2.3l eco in something that weights 5500lbs....

argile2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
I'm curious as well. Everything I have seen and everyone I've spoken to from Ford has raved about it.

Is this a "gotta have a V8" type thing?
No... Ford is displaying the attitude of producing a vehicle that appeals to the most people possible at all cost. So I now wonder if the Bronco will lack the things needed to be a bad ass off roader. Will it have a SFA?

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Except that argument goes out the window when you consider the fact they are only going to be able to make about 50k of these in its first year. They have publicly stated they can only make 50k due to battery supply issues and have no idea if and when they can increase production. So to sum it up, they have a "mass market" SUV that they will not be able to make enough of to beat classic mustang sales (75k for 2018). So why did this thing have to be an SUV? Why could it not have been a classic 2 door coupe? Ford would have had the ONLY "affordable" EV sports car (model 3 performance I am not counting) and still probably would have achieved the same amount of units sold. They should have held the SUV off until their supply issues were sorted out (just like Tesla with the Model Y) and called it something else... (Bronco comes to mind)
And that's only US sales...........worldwide its around 120k units!

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
No... Ford is displaying the attitude of producing a vehicle that appeals to the most people possible at all cost. So I now wonder if the Bronco will lack the things needed to be a bad ass off roader. Will it have a SFA?
But a SFA isn't needed for off roading capabilities in the first place. That's like saying you need a SRA for drag racing which is false. It's pretty well expected that this is the Ranger platform, which doesn't have a SFA.

I fully expect the Bronco to have higher off roading capabilities along with riding better than a comparable Wrangler and from what I hear, it delivers.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
7:15 in. "Are you guys crazy?"

12:40 "why wouldn't you have your Ford account connected with you wherever you go."
because I'm not some drug-addled millennial (other gens too) whose entire existence is defined by his phone and telescreen interaction? Does the car now stream performance data to "the cloud" ala FitBit? Does the tablet have a selfie button? It's a F'n car! Not a lifestyle accessory. Have humans been reduced to Barbie dolls now?

14:40 "this is something very different"
yet in his previous breath talking about each previous Mustang getting more powerful, more aggressive

14:46 "has to be eye catching, has to go like hell".
5+ seconds to 60mph is now going like hell? When your immediate competition (Tesla 3) can do it in 3.3 and their base trim in 5.0?

These guys are certifiable. "It's gotta be a Mustang" is fine from a benchmark floor and aspirations standpoint. I would have gone with "it's gotta be a Pony vehicle in the spirit of the Mustang". And then called the model some catchy synonym of horse. They couldn't find something interesting in the list of breeds? Shoot 10 minutes looking at that list and I've come up with half a dozen that I think would be good candidates.

Last edited:

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Except that argument goes out the window when you consider the fact they are only going to be able to make about 50k of these in its first year. They have publicly stated they can only make 50k due to battery supply issues and have no idea if and when they can increase production. So to sum it up, they have a "mass market" SUV that they will not be able to make enough of to beat classic mustang sales (75k for 2018). So why did this thing have to be an SUV? Why could it not have been a classic 2 door coupe? Ford would have had the ONLY "affordable" EV sports car (model 3 performance I am not counting) and still probably would have achieved the same amount of units sold. They should have held the SUV off until their supply issues were sorted out (just like Tesla with the Model Y) and called it something else... (Bronco comes to mind)
it's all marketing spin. I just read this morning an article where ford was saying that the 72k mustangs they sold this year is considered poor sales???? They are pushing hard to make it look like the electric is the future and its because current demand for gas is going down hill... they are pushing it hard.

To me all these electrics are like vape pens. in a few years we are gonna have junk yards full off electric car husks cause the batteries died. And to replace the battery is cost prohibitive so the owners will just ditch them for a new car like a cell phone. and since these cars are nothing but a flat battery with seats sitting on top and a screen on the interior there is nothing much to spare part out. its gonna go from cars that we got 5 , 10....20 years of use out of to cars that are disposable and expensive. I dont think anyone knows the long term harm of these cars yet all anyone on is focused on is the exhaust and lack thereof. but what about the strip mines for the battery elements? the increased coal , natural gas and nuclear power production for the increased power grid to charge the things. (you may not be directly putting exhaust in the air but you are still polluting it with that electric car). All the toxic chemicals required to make and recycle these batteries? What happens when a couple container ships full of these dead chemical laden batteries sinks in the ocean? it all might look good now but just wait. Everything comes with a price and sometimes the cure is worse than the disease.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Better that what's on our minds about this all stay in this one big thread instead of being spread out over who-knows-how-many little ones. One line on the list of topics page instead of taking up a third of the page.

Norm
Good morning Norm. Honestly I wanted this thread to just die, period. Just so much of our energy and heart being spent on this. I think the Mustang community has let Ford know just where we stand. I hope they do something. We have time for them to reconsider. They got their press. Let them wait till after the holidays and announce that they have heard us and changed their minds. That's what I want for the holidays.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Ford has already received about 14,000 reservations for the Mach-E so far:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4308040-ford-gets-14000-reservations-mustang-mach-e-electric-suv

Ford knew what it was doing naming the car the ‘Mustang Mach E’. That seems like a lot of deposits in a very short time (even if they're refundable, and some if not many of them are probably from speculators hoping to flip their spot for a profit to people who just gotta have it first). Even though many old-school gearheads like me (and it seems many people here) were aghast at their using the venerable Mustang name for a very non-Mustang like car, Ford successfully achieved much greater awareness - and, apparently, buying interest - for the thing than it otherwise would have had it been named anything else.
I don't think that conclusion can be reached without knowing exactly what sort of people have made those reservations, the exact reasons why they made them, and most importantly here whether discussions such as this one played any part.

Keep in mind that most vehicle buyers are not frequent visitors to enthusiast-car sites. But they will see general internet advertising which is all going to be trying to convince them to consider this new vehicle no matter what it's called.

We'd only be kidding ourselves to think that we've influenced more than a handful of those 14,000.

Norm

Sponsored

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
plus I have to also say. Ford already said the Mach-E will be instantly profitable. well duh... its a shell with seats a laptop screen and some electric motors on a battery and that's about it. They gonna make these cars for almost nothing and sell them HIGH because you know people believe they are helping the environment.

Hell why IM on a rant. LOL what about that 7500 tax credit? Its like a school tax people have to pay that don't have children. Why is my tax money being given to people who buy an electric car? So I pay high taxes because the government says well we need money. Then they turn around and give it to joe down the street cause he bought an electric car??? I mean where do you think this government tax credit comes from? Why are taxpayers supplementing joes car?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'm curious as well. Everything I have seen and everyone I've spoken to from Ford has raved about it.

Is this a "gotta have a V8" type thing?
It's a 'gotta have significant and meaningful product differentiation to take market share away from a strongly established competitor with a cult-like following' thing. Engine options are just one piece, albeit a big one.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
plus I have to also say. Ford already said the Mach-E will be instantly profitable. well duh... its a shell with seats a laptop screen and some electric motors on a battery and that's about it. They gonna make these cars for almost nothing and sell them HIGH because you know people believe they are helping the environment.
Ford being profitable is a good thing for all of us. Except for those of you are immediately selling their current Mustangs and/or never planning on buying another one. And, come on, you know that there is no such thing as a car that costs next to nothing. Also current electric vehicles are being sold to a vast audience, not just environmentalists. And what is so wrong with caring about the earth we live on. If someone were dropping toxic waste next to your house I'd bet you would be concerned.

Hell why IM on a rant. LOL what about that 7500 tax credit? Its like a school tax people have to pay that don't have children. Why is my tax money being given to people who buy an electric car? So I pay high taxes because the government says well we need money. Then they turn around and give it to joe down the street cause he bought an electric car??? I mean where do you think this government tax credit comes from? Why are taxpayers supplementing joes car?
Now this is just plain silly. Why do my Federal tax dollars go into fixing your streets, fund your schools and help your sick? Doesn't help me where I live. Because that's what our tax dollars do. They help all Americans in an assortment of ways. Always have and always will.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)