Using Winter/Snow tires in MD/VA/DC

Chola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rajarajan
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord 2005. 2019 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Its that time of the year where temps around DC (I live about 20 miles north in MD) are below freezing. I got my '19 GT PP1 last month and wanted to know how many of you drive with the stock summer tires vs changing over to winter tires. I have a set of winter tires in my shopping cart on tirerack.com and thought I'd ask this question before checking out.

PS: I have (for now) my old Accord that I can use on days with snow/salt on the roads, so the GT is not yet my DD.
Sponsored

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Its that time of the year where temps around DC (I live about 20 miles north in MD) are below freezing. I got my '19 GT PP1 last month and wanted to know how many of you drive with the stock summer tires vs changing over to winter tires. I have a set of winter tires in my shopping cart on tirerack.com and thought I'd ask this question before checking out.

PS: I have (for now) my old Accord that I can use on days with snow/salt on the roads, so the GT is not yet my DD.
I ditched my tires for a set of Conti DWS in stock size (255 front, 275 rear) on PP wheels at 3000 miles when I first got my car. After 2 winters, never had any issue even through a few moderate to heavy snow storms. It’s not a SUV but surprising been very capable in the winter months.

I like the Conti’s better than dedicated winter tires. Hate the way skinny tires would look.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Get those summer tires off now. Regardless of what anyone says they are not safe in temps lower than 40 degrees. When I lived in Central Jersey I was on Michelin PS A/S 3+. Great in the dry and rain. Moderate (1-3 inches) snow was just fine. Anything more than that I worked from home. :)

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
If you are not planning on driving in snow get some all seasons.

All seasons at the best solution between snow and summer. They will perform better in cold rain and can be ran in warm temperatures without compromised performance.

If you are for-seeing the Honda kicking it, then the choice has already been made. Snow tires are a complete must for rear wheel drive sporty car if like me you had to drive regardless of the weather. Snow was always fine. Packed snow that refroze was only doable with snows and chains at times.

rsTOMod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP1

Sponsored

CycloneRy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
_

I would suggest getting the tires ordered if thats what you decide. Wheel/Snow inventory on TireRack goes fast with some combos being 'unavailable for the season' by Halloween..

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I dont plan to drive my car in the snow. But I put the snow tires on.....just in case.

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
I think you're absolutely crazy for even thinking about keeping the PS4S tires on if you plan to daily it through the winter lol.

I took my car out in 35 degree weather the other week, totally dry, and it just wouldn't hook.

Exiting my neighborhood at 10 mph with 1/4 throttle just made the tires chirp and traction control light up lol.

You have another car though, drive that on anything but sunny and dry days above 40 degrees.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra

I see you live in Laurel (I live about 15 min from you in Hanover) and personally if you are keeping the honda past january then I would just drive that and save the expense of tires. I agree with others that you dont want to do the summer tires below 40. I took mine out last week for 15 min then turned around and switched vehicles. Im not saying we are going to see 60+ degree weather consistently but the DMV area is bipolar lol. But if you have the extra funds then it makes sense to have that extra set just in case.

Clump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Mine's not a daily and lives in a heated garage. My '16 had P1s, '18 was P4S and '19 PP2 is P4S.

I'll drive it on these when the temp is over 30. It doesn't go below 60 in my garage, so they're starting out relatively warm. They do spin a lot easier when it's cold.

They love the salt in MD and now that horrible brine pre-treat. Once that goes down I won't drive it until it's rinsed off.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Chola

Chola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rajarajan
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord 2005. 2019 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
I finally ended up ordering a set of PIRELLI WINTER SOTTOZERO SERIE II from tire rack. I'll be buying a set of stock PP wheels from another forum member (local).

Driving the Accord all winter is an option but the background to my buying the car is that I have 2 daughters 16, 19. The older one is away at college and needs to drive whenever she comes home. The younger one is getting her learners permit soon. So instead of buying a car for them, I got the GT with the intent of handing them the Accord.

So there will be times that I don't have access to the Honda on a snowy day and have to drive the GT. Hence the winter tires. And getting a set of wheels made sense as there is no point paying for a tire swap twice every year.

Fjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT fastback
You won’t be unhappy. I’ve had a few Mustangs over the years and tried to get by in winter with whatever came on them from the factory. Driving in snow was miserable.

when I decided to ditch the SUV now that my kids are grown and go back to a Mustang, I promised myself that winter snow tires/wheels had to be part of the deal. I went with Blizzaks. Drove quite a bit this week through some pretty good snow here in Michigan, and wow what a difference. I swear this Mustang with Blizzaks is better in the snow than my Explorer Sport was with the factory Hankook all seasons.
9ECA5015-8435-4D08-95DC-5EB02DD6BFB7.jpeg

0629616F-9F30-4F9D-9628-8518DFC6DD51.jpeg

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
Summer tires have poor grip in freezing temps even on dry pavement.

Get you some winter tires pronto. A bonus is you will save wear on your summer tires during the winter months.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I finally ended up ordering a set of PIRELLI WINTER SOTTOZERO SERIE II from tire rack. I'll be buying a set of stock PP wheels from another forum member (local).

Driving the Accord all winter is an option but the background to my buying the car is that I have 2 daughters 16, 19. The older one is away at college and needs to drive whenever she comes home. The younger one is getting her learners permit soon. So instead of buying a car for them, I got the GT with the intent of handing them the Accord.

So there will be times that I don't have access to the Honda on a snowy day and have to drive the GT. Hence the winter tires. And getting a set of wheels made sense as there is no point paying for a tire swap twice every year.
Smart move. Like the others here you will be so glad you did this. Enjoy your pony in the snow.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I'm a fan of Blizzak too. This is my 4th winter on this set, and they still have good tread. Last week:

49035635073_98c2bbb1b5_b.jpg
Sponsored