Going Ported Cobra Jet manifold on my 2018 Mustang GT A10

Sammy123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sammy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10 speed Auto
So I decided to go the Cobra Jet manifold route. I'll update this thread as I go along. I also have I texas speed headers and 3" high flow catted xpipe / JLT intake.

With stock manifold and throttle body I made 476hp.

I initially tried the ported 18 manifold and ported oem throttle body route, but I actually went down in power (469hp). PBD couldn't see why that was case, I sent them tons of logs and the tune was doing what it was supposed to be doing. No knock. Lots of timing with good quality e85. The power just wasn't there like it should compared to stock. Went back to stock manifold and throttle body and power went back up.

Not being satisfied with that, I'm going cobra jet manifold. I don't want to go boosted, I want to stay N/A so this is the next progression. Goal is simply to hit 10's at 125+ without having to take out the back seat and with the street drag radials I have. I've seen how the A10 Cobra jets are running 128+ down here in Florida. That's faster than my old stock Hellcat with a CAI (127 trap). Though, I'd be happy to get somewhat close to that without having to remove the back seats, which I actually use (for the kids). For reference I went 11.2 @ 123 with stock manifold and throttle body and full weight on E85.

---

So far I bought a ported cobra jet manifold being worked on by Brett Barber at AFS. That should be done in a few days.

Haven't purchased a throttle body yet, but looking at the VMP 69mm twinjet throttle body.

For intake I'm looking at the tried and true PMAS cobra jet intake.

To lower the engine I'm looking at the steeda motor mounts.

Rob Shoemaker said one of his client cars went 10.9 @ 128 with the cobra jet setup similar to what I'll have, but mine will be ported, hopefully bringing some extra power all across the powerband.

I'm patient for a black friday deal, but I want this to be installed and tuned prior to Black Friday. Hint to vendors reading this lol.
Sponsored

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
Why the aversion to taking the rear seats out? It's 3 bolts, takes 5 minutes to do. Takes me 15 minutes to do passenger and rears.

Sounds cool though, interested to see results. Did you ever run the car at the track with the ported 18 mani?

Chad1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I think you will hit 10 no problem. I have a 15 and just got my cobra jet and it hands down is faster than my 18 manifold especially way up high. Car used to fall flat on it's face up high and now pulls hard all the way around.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
So I decided to go the Cobra Jet manifold route. I'll update this thread as I go along. I also have I texas speed headers and 3" high flow catted xpipe / JLT intake.

With stock manifold and throttle body I made 476hp.

I initially tried the ported 18 manifold and ported oem throttle body route, but I actually went down in power (469hp). PBD couldn't see why that was case, I sent them tons of logs and the tune was doing what it was supposed to be doing. No knock. Lots of timing with good quality e85. The power just wasn't there like it should compared to stock. Went back to stock manifold and throttle body and power went back up.

Not being satisfied with that, I'm going cobra jet manifold. I don't want to go boosted, I want to stay N/A so this is the next progression. Goal is simply to hit 10's at 125+ without having to take out the back seat and with the street drag radials I have. I've seen how the A10 Cobra jets are running 128+ down here in Florida. That's faster than my old stock Hellcat with a CAI (127 trap). Though, I'd be happy to get somewhat close to that without having to remove the back seats, which I actually use (for the kids). For reference I went 11.2 @ 123 with stock manifold and throttle body and full weight on E85.

---

So far I bought a ported cobra jet manifold being worked on by Brett Barber at AFS. That should be done in a few days.

Haven't purchased a throttle body yet, but looking at the VMP 69mm twinjet throttle body.

For intake I'm looking at the tried and true PMAS cobra jet intake.

To lower the engine I'm looking at the steeda motor mounts.

Rob Shoemaker said one of his client cars went 10.9 @ 128 with the cobra jet setup similar to what I'll have, but mine will be ported, hopefully bringing some extra power all across the powerband.

I'm patient for a black friday deal, but I want this to be installed and tuned prior to Black Friday. Hint to vendors reading this lol.
The cobrajet intake is one sexy looking intake... But I sincerly doubt it's going to get you what you want. And I would advise you not to modify it.

People have a misconception. About porting. Porting only works if there is a restriction to remove, bigger or wider is not always better. As you go larger in volume above a certain point it becomes a diminishing return as the air starts to slow down. Or starts becoming turbulent.

Also you're restricted by your cylinder head ports...

If i we're you, I'd look into cams, gearing or port matching the cylinder heads to the stock cobrajet intake. And just drop weight.

Lower weight will do more to help your 60ft and for drag thats really what matters

Ricker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky Rick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I just went the Cobra Jet, long tube header route and could not be happier.

I am about two hours south of you in Jupiter Florida and I am waiting for a cooler/dryer weather to hit the track. I went with the Steeda mounts with the red bushings.

If you are still looking for a throttle body,I have a JMS ThrottleMax and Ford Racing Twin 65mm Throttle Body that I will be posting up later this week.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sammy123

Sammy123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sammy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10 speed Auto
So I got news that my ported Cobra jet manifold shipped today. Now just need the throttle body and intake. I picked a really bad time to get the manifold with Black Friday deals around the corner for the VMP throttle body and PMAS intake, but means having to wait till end of month. :angry:

@msweet Since I do mostly street driving, it will be a pain to take out the seats all the time. Plus I pick up and drop off my daughter every day at school, she prefers to sit in the back. Taking out the seats when going to the dragstrip isn't a problem, but my goals will be with them in (full weight). That's because I do enjoy the occasional random street/highway encounter, and there's no time to take out seats (or put them anywhere :cwl:)

@Chad1986 What times did you run?

@3star2nr I've read great results from those with ported cobra jets. Has there been a case where porting the cobra jet resulted in any kind of loss (like I did with the ported 18 manifold and ported throttle body)? I've seen only gains (across the rpm) with those on the S550.

@Ricker Thanks but I'm really looking to get the VMP throttle body since its plug and play. If wanna shoot me a price though for your combo, send me a PM.

bigwill90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The cobrajet intake is one sexy looking intake... But I sincerly doubt it's going to get you what you want. And I would advise you not to modify it.

People have a misconception. About porting. Porting only works if there is a restriction to remove, bigger or wider is not always better. As you go larger in volume above a certain point it becomes a diminishing return as the air starts to slow down. Or starts becoming turbulent.

If i we're you, I'd look into cams, gearing or port matching the cylinder heads to the stock cobrajet intake. And just drop weight.

Lower weight will do more to help your 60ft and for drag thats really what matters
Do you have any proof showing you lose power with a ported cobra jet .

bigwill90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Like 3star2nr said weight reduction is key to 10N/A ...It’s already been proven with the guy that rented the 18gt and did weight reduction exhaust & E85 tune and ran 10s...

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium

I've yet to see or hear of car losing power going to a ported CJ or a none ported. It's not hurt porting too. It's cleaning up the flashing and possible chips. There's many rough edges and chips in the plastic. I couldn't believe have rough the inside of them looked.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
I've yet to see or hear of car losing power going to a ported CJ or a none ported. It's not hurt porting too. It's cleaning up the flashing and possible chips. There's many rough edges and chips in the plastic. I couldn't believe have rough the inside of them looked.
Well I wont claim to know everything but the cobrajet intake was designed for their race cars if it's rough inside thats probably deliberate.

I just said what i said because i don't want the op to spend 1000.00 on an intake and ruin it trying to make it "better".

I'd install it as it comes dyno,make a few runs. And if it doesn't get you what you want then port match the intake and the heads together.

Sponsored

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
10's are easy and dyno numbers don't mean shit.

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury

Ricker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky Rick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Tires are going to be key to 10s. What tires are you running?

I have 19" wheels and it does not seem there are any options.