Sponsored

Another Exhaust Suggestion Thread: Low Tone and No Drone

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
Looking for an axleback reccomendation. I like the sound of the Borla S type but was wondering if there was a less expensive option for a similar sound and no drone that im overlooking. suggestions wanted.
Sponsored

1bad66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT PP1, '66 Mustang, '18 BMW X3, '97 Tacoma
MBRP Street...LOWWWW, no drone..

OP
OP
Phoenix

Phoenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ll look into that. Thank you!

1bad66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
If you're retaining your factory resonator you're unlikely to have drone with many of the systems..

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
If you're retaining your factory resonator you're unlikely to have drone with many of the systems..
Even just cutouts dont have noticeable drone if you keep the resonator and stock headers/cats

Sponsored

OP
OP
Phoenix

Phoenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yeah the mbrp system is a full catback. i like the price but i dont want any rasp or drone. just like the factory but less "tinny" and a bit more loud when you get on it.

ill do a search for the SVE axlebacks as they look similar to the MBRP street mufflers.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
There's a reason the axlebacks that cost $800-1000 cost that much. That's all I'll say after trying to get there on the cheap and seeing many go through the same process.

If you want no drone and deep, S type, AWE touring, ARH are all good options. The ATAK also doesn't drone at all, and wouldn't be too loud with the resonator or a resonated mid pipe (X or H) in place.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
There are some out there that will absolutely most definitely drone with the stock resonator / suitcase still on. Unfortunately, a no drone system will cost money. I too tried the “cheap” way first...

1bad66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
yeah the mbrp system is a full catback. i like the price but i dont want any rasp or drone. just like the factory but less "tinny" and a bit more loud when you get on it.

ill do a search for the SVE axlebacks as they look similar to the MBRP street mufflers.
I have the MBRP Street stainless catback on my '18 and I can assure there is NO Drone...NONE...It may not be the sound you're looking for, sound is very subjective, but I can assure you their Street system has no drone.

Sponsored

BrandonS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Premium A6
I have the MBRP Street catback as well. One thing to note is the muffler design is different from 15-17 and 18+. The 15-17 Street setup has a straight through round muffler where the 18+ has a larger oval muffler. I can't say whether it is also a completely straight through design. I will say that the 15-17 setup that I have is rather tame at driving RPM. It has a deep, rich tone with no rasp or drone. Once you stab the go pedal, things change. It gets pretty loud, but not raspy or tinny. It a very cost effective solution.

OP
OP
Phoenix

Phoenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the MBRP Street catback as well. One thing to note is the muffler design is different from 15-17 and 18+. The 15-17 Street setup has a straight through round muffler where the 18+ has a larger oval muffler. I can't say whether it is also a completely straight through design. I will say that the 15-17 setup that I have is rather tame at driving RPM. It has a deep, rich tone with no rasp or drone. Once you stab the go pedal, things change. It gets pretty loud, but not raspy or tinny. It a very cost effective solution.
that’s kinda what I’m looking for. I’ll research it some more. I’m not opposed to doing a catback, I just figured a axle back would knock out drone as well as be more cost effective.

tbh I miss the exhaust note of my gt350 with the valves open. Not sure if that has to do more with the voodoo or the exhaust.

1bad66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Was not aware of the difference in mufflers but it makes sense, however your description of sound is just how I would describe mine...A lot quieter than I expected cruising and a bit louder than I expected in the gas..lol

BurnCycle

I drank what?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
My solution for this "low tone, no drone" was the SLP LM II combine with the Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe.

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
I also have the Street cat-back. I swear that the mufflers were not round, but oval. Now I'll have to go look when I get home. And I completely agree with your assessment. I love the way it sounds.
Sponsored