Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Albert
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hey All-
Since you're all Mustang fountains of information, I'll bounce this one off you...in the last week or so, I am noticing a weird sound when I start my car about 25% of the time. It sounds like a cross between a ch-chink of the starter engaging and a dull pop of unburned gas in the cylinder. It may not be either one of those, I'm just trying to describe the sound. If I immediately shut down and start again, it won't do it.

Anyone else experienced this? 2019 PP1 Manual with 2300mi

Thanks for any and all help!
Albert
Sponsored

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
More data needed: Does the noise only occur during cranking, or right after the engine fires?

OP
OP

Alberto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Albert
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
More data needed: Does the noise only occur during cranking, or right after the engine fires?
It happens the second after pressing the button. The engine hasn't cranked over or even really fired yet. I hear it basically the split-second after the battery power hits the starter

emdavis197

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 5.0 *Velocity Blue* (The fastest color)
I've heard my 2019 GT do a quick pop immediately after pressing the button. It only happens infrequently and usually when the car is warm and has been recently run (within an hour or so of the last drive). Kind of sounds like a quick fuel detonation prior to the first full revolution of the engine under the starter's power. Could be a spark plug detonating some un-burnt fuel. Car starts right up after what I would call a "premature detonation sound". It doesn't bother me much and it has happened less as time goes on. I have about 4,500 miles now.

OP
OP

Alberto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Albert
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yes! Thats it. Now that you mention it, it does happen when the car is warm. I didn't think much of it- Was just keeping a mental note of it to see if it was getting more frequent, and, wanted to see if anyone had noticed this. Thanks for responding emdavis :thumbsup:

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Start the vehicle at night. Have someone outside the car looking under it in the area of the starter. Have them observe for arc flash. Do the same thing at night with the hood up. It could be the starter solenoid arcing when it closes to supply power to the starter motor to crank the engine. Just another step of elimination of a probable fault. Either way its under warranty. Take it back.
Sponsored