Sponsored

Help deciding between FI options

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Hey guys, I tried searching for a good thread for my question but none fit well.
I have a 2016 GT PP and I'm trying to decide which power adder is a good fit. I'm not interested in 1/4 mile times. I'm lucky enough to live close to canyons and do a lot of canyon carving. I autocross as well. Throttle response is King to me. So is front end weight (moved the battery to the trunk first weekend I had the car). I was leaning towards a mid-mount TT kit, but the only experience I have with turbos is my diesel truck, which is laggy as hell. So when I hear folks say the TT kits have "very little" lag, I want to know how little is a little - be honest.
As far as superchargers go the IATs of the PD blowers seem to rise with heavy use. Can anyone chime in what they see for IATs after say, 30 minutes of moderate to hard driving? Is a PD blower not the wisest choice for a hot track day?
Honestly from what I've read it sounds like a centri might be the best fit for me. But I'm exploring/learning as much as I can.

Thanks!
Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Fast street spool: .82 A/R 58-60mm turbine side should spool before 4k (wouldnt want boost much lower rpm since oil pump is direct drive crank).

Sounds like .82 A/R 60-62 is considered street desirable w spool by 5k.

.82 w 63-65 would be more optimal for staying in 6k-7.5k range.

If you do go tight turbine side(fast spool), consider going ++ exhaust bypass/wastegate to keep back pressure down; if undersized it adds unnecessary backpressure on valves and more head lift.

Others may have better/more thoughts.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
My ZLE has 11 coolers throughout for the tiny PD blower, i understand they are different cars, just a data point to what it took to keep it cool for repetitive work from an OEM standpoint.

Reactions: XS
OP
OP

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Fast street spool: .82 A/R 58-60mm turbine side should spool before 4k (wouldnt want boost much lower rpm since oil pump is direct drive crank).

Sounds like .82 A/R 60-62 is considered street desirable w spool by 5k.

.82 w 63-65 would be more optimal for staying in 6k-7.5k range.

If you do go tight turbine side(fast spool), consider going ++ exhaust bypass/wastegate to keep back pressure down; if undersized it adds unnecessary backpressure on valves and more head lift.

Others may have better/more thoughts.
This is great, thank you for the information I love it.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
This is great, thank you for the information I love it.
Search my recent posts and prolly in past week or two discussed w others. Some other discussion a couple months back.
Im looking at an LPF setup.
Considering two sets of turbos (and tunes) for road course and street use.
93 for ~700 rwhp extended road course use and E85 ~850+ kill mode.
Back up block would be predator based (available now ).

Sponsored

OP
OP

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Search my recent posts and prolly in past week or two discussed w others. Some other discussion a couple months back.
Im looking at an LPF setup.
Considering two sets of turbos (and tunes) for road course and street use.
93 for ~700 rwhp extended road course use and E85 ~850+ kill mode.
Back up block would be predator based (available now ).
Looking now! Taking lots of notes.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Centri blower best of all worlds. No lag, cooler temps, still makes plenty of "low end power", Easiest install. Toss in a converter and you have one hell of a fun street car.

edit: whoops see you manual so ignore the converter part. LOL stick shift keep the rpm's in happy range and buzz right along.

OP
OP

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Centri blower best of all worlds. No lag, cooler temps, still makes plenty of "low end power", Easiest install. Toss in a converter and you have one hell of a fun street car.

edit: whoops see you manual so ignore the converter part. LOL stick shift keep the rpm's in happy range and buzz right along.
Yep excellent points. The only thing that really turns me off is that a centri kit's weight is all in front of the axle line. I know I didn't buy a Lotus by any means, but even with 275s on the front there's still shove unless you're on R888s or Cup 2s and these cars need all the help they can get to not shove in hard corners. That said I am still not ruling out a centri because the difference in front end weight is more than likely negligible.

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Blower and intercooler maybe weigh 30-40 lbs? Just guesstimating but it isn't much at all.

Reactions: XS

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
My turbos are 67/65 .82. Full boost we’ll before 5k rpm with 65mm turbine.

These motors flow so much exhaust you cannot go small on hot side without valve float.

If I could build the perfect turbo, I’d like to try the same units I have but with a 60mm compressor..... provably get full spool about 400rpm sooner.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Yep excellent points. The only thing that really turns me off is that a centri kit's weight is all in front of the axle line. I know I didn't buy a Lotus by any means, but even with 275s on the front there's still shove unless you're on R888s or Cup 2s and these cars need all the help they can get to not shove in hard corners. That said I am still not ruling out a centri because the difference in front end weight is more than likely negligible.
Blower and intercooler maybe weigh 30-40 lbs? Just guesstimating but it isn't much at all.
I literally just parted out my procharger kit, all the parts laying in the garage I’ll weigh up tomorrow. I’d guess 45-50 total.
Sponsored