Sponsored

Need a new clutch

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
The clutch on my 2016 GT/PP/PP just let go. It has 52,000 on it so I'm pretty sure that the dealer isn't going to cover it. It let go as I was coming off the freeway and downshifted. Instead of fighting with the dealer to get a stock replacement, I'm going to swap it out myself. Looking for recommendations. Car has an axle back and a CAI. No tune, no boost and as of now hasn't seen a track. This is my daily. Looking at Spec, but not sure if Stage 1 or 2 is what I would need. I do drive "spirited" so something that will hold up to that while being easy on the budget. Replacing the disk, pressure plate, T/O bearing, flywheel and probably will replace the plastic like with a braided line. So lets hear whats out there and where to get the best price.
Sponsored

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Exedy 500 is a popular clutch for NA guys. Otherwise you could probably find a stock one for cheap. My stock one didn’t give me any issues, even while boosted (mind you no track time). Me swapping to an aftermarket was preventative and no aftermarket clutch will feel as nice as the stock one imo

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
@None2Slow

I had a bad experience with a spec stage 2 when I had my v6. Besides having a lot of chatter and nvh, it only lasted 10k miles. It did grab like a gorilla though but any aftermarket clutch is going to also. Just my 2 cents...

AlphaCoyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP, 2018 Honda Accord 1.5 Sport
I have the Exedy Mach 500 and it has been great for the past 40k miles. There is a little bit of chatter when in first gear but it's not too bad.

OP
OP

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking at the exedy mach 500, I'm seeing stage 1, 2 and 3. What's the best choice for n/a daily?

Sponsored

AlphaCoyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP, 2018 Honda Accord 1.5 Sport
I opted for the Stage 3. The clutch feel is pretty much the same as stock. I'd recommend it. I paired it with the OEM flywheel.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Why would you think the dealer would replace your clutch with 52k miles? My oem took a shit at 19k and I still had to pay. It's a wear item, 1/12k miles is all.

OP
OP

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know it's a wear item, but I have never had a clutch just let go like this. I'm not going to even bother to have the dealer look at it because I already know what the outcome will be. Not worth the hassle.

OP
OP

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BIG Thanks to a local member, I ended up putting a stock clutch back in. Car is up and running and as good as new. That now leaves me with an extra $1,000 to use for car parts. Hmmmm what to do?

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
BIG Thanks to a local member, I ended up putting a stock clutch back in. Car is up and running and as good as new. That now leaves me with an extra $1,000 to use for car parts. Hmmmm what to do?
If you don’t have an MGW, it’ll be the best decision you’ve ever made if you pick one up.

Seriously changed my life

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
The clutch on my 2016 GT/PP/PP just let go. It has 52,000 on it so I'm pretty sure that the dealer isn't going to cover it. It let go as I was coming off the freeway and downshifted. Instead of fighting with the dealer to get a stock replacement, I'm going to swap it out myself. Looking for recommendations. Car has an axle back and a CAI. No tune, no boost and as of now hasn't seen a track. This is my daily. Looking at Spec, but not sure if Stage 1 or 2 is what I would need. I do drive "spirited" so something that will hold up to that while being easy on the budget. Replacing the disk, pressure plate, T/O bearing, flywheel and probably will replace the plastic like with a braided line. So lets hear whats out there and where to get the best price.
Alot of people Will give you different advice but in my experience I would AVOID any "stage 2" or "race" style clutches. The reason being most racing clutches are designed to last a racing season not designed for street use...

If you are stock id recommend something thats an OE replacement or slightly better.

Or just put in an OE. the OE gets a bad rap but it actually lasts pretty long... 52K miles on a clutch is good. My friends S197 has over 100k on his OE... Hes had the car for 8years never replaced the clutch.

I had a big bad 4 puck ACT clutch in a 3000GT that lasted a whopping 14k miles... Needless to say I felt like a jack ass for installing that...

Heat and traffic will put a beating on any clutch
Sponsored