Weight capacity when lowered

MadMuirder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
At what point (either how many inch drop or what spring weights, or a combo) do I have to start worrying about having a full car that's lowered?

I'm thinking of going with either Steeda Progressives or Ultralite linears on Koni Yellows/Steeda ProAction adjustables/Ford Performance Track. But then again, I've never lowered a car and I'm still doing research on what I think I want to do (considering BMR handling springs too, but idk what shocks/struts I'd need with that).

Things I know:
I want adjustable dampers, if for no other reason than I want to play around with them and see how the changes effect the car. Unless they're absolutely unnecessary and the nonadjustable saves a lot of money.

I want my car to be driveable, and my wife to not hate riding in my car. It is my daily, I'm looking for better handling/more feedback, and I know that means a bit firmer feel than stock. She doesnt ride in my car that often in all honesty.

I want about an inch drop, and I want at least close to an even wheel gap in front/rear. I also plan on going bigger tires soon, still trying to decide if I want to do 285 or 295 square, or like 285/305+ staggered. The rabbit hole I went down yesterday made me realize the Michelin P4Ss I like and really wanted to stay with aren't made in 305r19, so the next step is 325r19 or go to a 20" wheel. I know people can fit bigger wheels/tires under lowered cars, so that'll just be research once I determine what suspension mods are going to happen.

Another question:
Talking to a friend, he mentioned a good rule of thumb is to go as light on springs as possible for daily drivers, with consideration to not bottom out suspension or loose traction. That sounds like a decent mindset, but left me with the question of does the steeda Progressives make for a weaker launch, since they're lighter than stock springs on their weaker rate end of the spectrum.
Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I put Steeda dual rates on my car and it still hauls my fat ass around just fine lol. I don't think you need to worry.

OP
OP

MadMuirder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I put Steeda dual rates on my car and it still hauls my fat ass around just fine lol. I don't think you need to worry.
Mostly worried about what if I was going on a trip where I have myself+passenger +200lbs of luggage (for arguements sake).

Or like I just got married, we hauled like 30 cases of beer in the trunk, plus a passenger. Would I rub in the odd "daily driver" task, even though they're few and far between?

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Rubbing is 100% related to choice of wheel and camber.
Eg. I can air my car out several inches lower than stock and not rub because I’m using a 295/35/20 on an 11” rim (+50) with about -2* camber at 35mm below stock height.
The stock dampers simply wouldn’t allow the car to go low enough to rub in my situation.
Your results will vary entirely, based on wheel and tyre selection along with camber.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Mostly worried about what if I was going on a trip where I have myself+passenger +200lbs of luggage (for arguements sake).

Or like I just got married, we hauled like 30 cases of beer in the trunk, plus a passenger. Would I rub in the odd "daily driver" task, even though they're few and far between?
I mean you might want a truck for 30 cases of beer, it's a sports car after all not an SUV. But you shouldn't have any issue with you and your wife and some luggage. Idk what you need 200lbs of luggage for but I imagine you will run out of room before you run out of spring.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Idk what you need 200lbs of luggage for but I imagine you will run out of room before you run out of spring.
It's not all that hard to run cargo weight up over 100 lbs if you're going on an extended trip.

Norm

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
My car is lowered 3/4” on very stiff Steeda Competition DRs, and with ~280lbs of crap in the car it drives fine (dare I say it drives less harshly than unweighted). With more of a drop and less stiff suspension you might bottom out the rear suspension more, yes its possible. Keep in mind +200 lbs is only like +5% heavier. The dang car weighs the better part of 4k lbs,

OP
OP

MadMuirder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I mean you might want a truck for 30 cases of beer, it's a sports car after all not an SUV. But you shouldn't have any issue with you and your wife and some luggage. Idk what you need 200lbs of luggage for but I imagine you will run out of room before you run out of spring.
Yeah, I'm just having those pre-purchase jitters about "oh crap, what about this one random time in 5 years"....where the answer is just drive the wife's car. Lolol

OP
OP

MadMuirder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
My car is lowered 3/4” on very stiff Steeda Competition DRs, and with ~280lbs of crap in the car it drives fine (dare I say it drives less harshly than unweighted). With more of a drop and less stiff suspension you might bottom out the rear suspension more, yes its possible. Keep in mind +200 lbs is only like +5% heavier. The dang car weighs the better part of 4k lbs,
You're right. And even on bigger trips, I doubt I'd exceed 200lbs. I've packed for a 2 week trip and been under 50lbs. I'm overthinking this a fair amount I'm pretty sure.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
The Ultralites are relatively stiff at 225F/880R, so you can load the car down pretty well (I have done so often). The progressives you mentioned will lower a bit more under load as the low-rate helper spring portion compresses, but the ride won’t get too harsh as the final rates don’t get wild.

In either case, you have to carefully select your wheel offset, camber settings, and tire height so you won’t have issues with rubbing.
Sponsored