Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Enthusiasts often debate why you want to spend extra money to put a fully forged wheel on your car. Often times we focus on the drive around town, and forget the importance of how a wheel is going to hold up when things go wrong.

Here is a video of a GT350 crash on the Nurburgring. Pay attention to the condition of the wheels once the car is being put onto the Lowry, and the relative low speed of the impact.

Food for thought as we all go about modding our 60-80k performance vehicles.

Sponsored

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
While I get your point.... any pics of forged wheels after similar wrecks??? Looked like the wheel took the brunt of the initial impact to me... I can't imagine any wheel taking that hit and being okay to re-use.....

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
IMO that was a harder crash than you think. But it's possible the heavy factory wheels would have held up. I would think the CF R rims would have been heavily damaged, but not completely failed like the rims on the car.

limited02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost
While I get your point.... any pics of forged wheels after similar wrecks??? Looked like the wheel took the brunt of the initial impact to me... I can't imagine any wheel taking that hit and being okay to re-use.....
I agree. A forged wheel may not have broken, but it certainly wouldn't be usable after that crash. Now if the wheel had broken and that's what caused the crash, this post would make more sense.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Looks like 6GR wheels. Junk.

Anyway, entered the turn a little hot, off the line, missed the apex, and carried and maintained brakes into the turn. The tires look to be a non R compound tire. No front dplitter. No tow hooks. As usual, more damage is done to the car because of that. Looks like amateur day at the 'ring. I'm glad the driver is ok. Definately not wheel related, but a better set of tires and better driving technique may have saved him.

Now back to the wheel topic. I've used 6GR wheels on and off the track. They are cheap spun forged wheels. I think the point that Terrance was trying to make is that why would you spend 60K+ on a car and go out and get a cheap set of wheels and take them to the track? I'll answer my own question and say because they are less money (cheap). Although the wheels in this particular example didn't cause the accident, they seem about par for the course for a guy who was cutting corners (so to speak).

Tracking a car is not a poor man's hobby. If you can't afford to do it right, don't do it. Get instruction, do a thorough mechanical inspection and perform maintenance as needed. Depending on the track, I would start with a fresh set of tires because so much is riding on them. And knowing what I know about cheap spun forged wheels, I certainly wouldn't choose a cheap knock off origin wheel for track duty.

limited02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost

Anyway, entered the turn a little hot, off the line, missed the apex, and carried and maintained brakes into the turn. The tires look to be a non R compound tire. No front dplitter. No tow hooks. As usual, more damage is done to the car because of that. Looks like amateur day at the 'ring. I'm glad the driver is ok. Definately not wheel related, but a better set of tires and better driving technique may have saved him.

Now back to the wheel topic. I've used 6GR wheels on and off the track. They are cheap spun forged wheels. I think the point that Terrance was trying to make is that why would you spend 60K+ on a car and go out and get a cheap set of wheels and take them to the track? I'll answer my own question and say because they are less money (cheap). Although the wheels in this particular example didn't cause the accident, they seem about par for the course for a guy who was cutting corners (so to speak).

Tracking a car is not a poor man's hobby. If you can't afford to do it right, don't do it. Get instruction, do a thorough mechanical inspection and perform maintenance as needed. Depending on the track, I would start with a fresh set of tires because so much is riding on them. And knowing what I know about cheap spun forged wheels, I certainly wouldn't choose a cheap knock off origin wheel for track duty.
How do we know the GT350 in that video didn't have a set of Signature wheels he/she rolls around on when not tracking the car? I'd rather use a stock set of wheels or cheaper set that's equal/better than stock wheels because if you curb/bend/break one, it's cheaper to replace.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
How do we know the GT350 in that video didn't have a set of Signature wheels he/she rolls around on when not tracking the car? I'd rather use a stock set of wheels or cheaper set that's equal/better than stock wheels because if you curb/bend/break one, it's cheaper to replace.
I can almost with certainty say that the OEM 350 wheel is the better wheel and the 6GR's wheel is not equal or better and the only advantage is weight. Much more to wheel design than weight. I would never track the 6GR wheel or any other cheap wheel alternative. Nope nopity nope!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make, but the wheels on the car in that video are 6GR's. I wouldn't track those wheels. As for street use, caliper clearance is horrible. I do agree with you that the 6GRs are cheap wheels.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...e-caused-by-lack-of-caliper-clearance.105510/

Sponsored

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R

While I agree with all of you points above, it was a bit unusual the way Terrance made the point :)

I am pretty sure that the best wheels ever would have made very little difference in this case. IMO.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
While I agree with all of you points above, it was a bit unusual the way Terrance made the point :)

I am pretty sure that the best wheels ever would have made very little difference in this case. IMO.
Yep, as stated, I agree. This crash had nothing to do with the wheels. I was pointing out the whole picture, the wheels, no splitter, no tow hook(s), and inexperience (As evidenced by the line he was driving).

Again, I wouldn't track 6GR wheels.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

I think 50Deep made a huge blunder by trying to capitalize on this guy's misfortune. It's disgusting.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
...inexperience (As evidenced by the line he was driving)...
There is another reason he might have been off-line and too fast - it's also possible that he ran out of brakes. He actually drives the car wide and takes the barrier as gently as he can under the circumstances.